Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County Bulldog's Coach Feltner
baseball1974 Wrote:Don't get me wrong, when I first started I was all piss and vinegar. I wanted every call and took it personal when I didn't get it. I was very fortunate though. I had people around me that would show me the proper ways of doing things and how to go about your business. Arguing balls and strikes, like you said, is pointless. In most cases it causes umpires to be more eradict. They are human and will usually make things right. Even judgement calls can be pointless as well. If it's a situation where another umpire can help with the call, or there is confusion then by all means go ask about it. However, unless I was getting an explanation on a rule, getting confirmation on the reason behind a certain call, or simply asking about one of my players, I never argued much after my first few years and especially at the college level. You have to pick your battles with umpires and sometimes you may have to take up for one of your players. I wanted the umpires to all know that if I came out it was for a very good reason. You don't get the benefit of the doubt when you're yapping every pitch. These kids need to be led by example and I read a few days ago where the comment was made, "if an umpire messes up then I have every right to show him up," or something to that affect. Can you imagine? Every mistake you make gets broadcasted to everyone around you and your family and friends watching the game and your colleagues. I can only imagine being a coach and having a parent start yelling to everyone in the stands every time I made a bad coaching decision or sent the runner when i shouldn't or called the wrong pitch, started the wrong guy, messed up the lineup, etc. I'm sure they'd think twice before pointing out other people's mistakes if that were to happen. It all comes down to teaching our younger generation the "Golden Rule," and showing them what a "Class Act" looks like.

It is really hard for me to take, when you put the pike county central coach as one of the best in the region then say you need to lead by example and show the kids how to be a class act. Everybody knows the story on what happened between lc and pcc what you my not know is during the 60th district tourney the player that was suspended was in pcc dugout with his jersey on and a pair of shorts and all the players and the coaches had the #4 on their hats. Then to top it off he allowed him to be on the all district team. Now if that is not rewarding bad behavior I don't know what is. And make no mistake it will not be forgotten by the lc players or fans. The kids at lc know that feltner will take up for them when they are being wronged, that is why you never see a lc player saying anything to an umpire. They also know that feltner will be the 1st one to be chewing their butts when they are wrong. So imo it is a pure insult to even mention pcc's coach or their program in the same sentence with coach feltner or the Lawrence County program
Messages In This Thread
Lawrence County Bulldog's Coach Feltner - by dawg fan - 05-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Lawrence County Bulldog's Coach Feltner - by kdrn - 06-01-2015, 03:55 PM