Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 28 Williamsburg 27 OT - 1A State Championship
I can say without a doubt that I was absolutely wrong about this Williamsburg bunch. I was amazed how much the addition of a strong running back could change everything for them on the offensive side. It opened up their passing game and that was highlighted by one of the best catches I've ever seen live at the high school level. They showed a lot of heart. I have never felt worse for anyone than I do for williamsburg's kicker. It's easy to tell kids that one play doesn't make a difference, but I'm sure he's obsessing over those two kicks and will be.

On the other side, Mayfield didn't play their best game and part of that is credited to Williamsburg. Different aspects of Mayfield's team had to show up big and they did. That's the big disadvantage teams have in state title games when they play teams that have been there done that for many years. Panic never set in and despite not playing to potential, mayfield did what great programs do, they found a way to overcome it. When part of their game wasn't working, other players stepped up and they were able to take advantage of a few mistakes that ultimately won them this game.

Griffith was as good as advertised and I missed that watching them last year in this game. Shelton solidified himself as one of the better recievers and I'm sure many were watching him for college options. Williamsburg's front was the aspect of this that I was interested in because all the conversations were revolved around their line being blown-out last season and they were. However, they held their own in this one and all of them should be proud in how they played and competed.

I do think Bright will end up becoming a division 1 running back. Many times people will look to stats to determine that, but he has as much upside as any running back I've seen this year. His skill level will improve and so will his mental game, and he should have several division 1 offers by the time he graduates.

I thought we seen the best game yesterday but obviously they're only getting better, and I don't see anyone topping this one. However, this second quarter of the 4A game is half over and highlands is turning the momentum. So this one could end up being just as good.
Messages In This Thread
Mayfield 28 Williamsburg 27 OT - 1A State Championship - by baseball1974 - 12-06-2014, 11:51 PM