Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desperate Appeal to Low Information Voters
TheRealThing Wrote:We agree on everything you have said here. However, I believe I can remember when political spin first began to turn American justice into wormwood. What made it so effective was the medium in which it was delivered, that of the trusted nightly news programs. You mention Ronald Reagan's work to overcome the erosive effects that liberal ideas had wreaked on our society in his day. Believe me when I tell you, the media was no friend of Ronald Reagan. And through their nightly tirades and unfair characterizations, in the same manner in which a small rudder turns great ships, the faith America had in her politicians began to be ever so slowly but unmistakably diverted off course. If you were old enough to be observant during the Reagan era, you know how incredibly different a comparison between say, 1985 and 2014 really is, is.

To me, liberals began to assert their influence in a meaningful way back in 1948 when ACLU lawyer Leo Pfeffer argued a novel constitutional view before the SCOTUS. The idea known as the "separation of Church and state" was his brain child and effectively stood the conventional understanding of protection for the Church against government intrusion on it's head. Nowadays, in a blatant twist of irony, the government claims the high ground as deriving from an authority which is above question, that being itself!

Our founding fathers openly submitted themselves in subjection to the "Creator", thusly deriving their moral authority to govern from His precepts and accountable to Him for what they had set forth as our way of governance within the texts of the founding documents. So, what we have now is an authority (government) which recognizes no authority higher than itself for guidance. Even to the exclusion of "the people." The result of which has been a long and sad procession of ill conceived legislation. Starting with the afore mentioned "Everson versus Board of Education of Ewing Township" to Johnson's "Great Society", to "Roe v Wade", to the repeal of DADT, to the string of legislation which has had no Republican support for the last 6 years. So, this ship of state we call America is asea with no rudder, or at least one that only goes one way, left.

None the less, it is to me far better to slow down the rush for the iceberg than to steam mindlessly on toward destruction. I think Levin and others are pretty spot on with their analysis, however, though we have admittedly lost our way our journey started with one small step. I'll take small steps in the right direction over steaming unabashed into the iceberg any day! I pray we will see a Republican Senate and House, and I pray more Republicans will wake up.

TEAM MITCH
I agree with everything you said above, TRT, but Woodrow Wilson may be the father of today's toxic Democratic Party. Wilson actually advocated limiting the education of most students to just the knowledge that was required for factory work. That idea has evolved into the liberal's notion that students just need enough knowledge to collect a welfare check and recognize the letter "D" on the ballot. I am no fan of Glen Beck but he deserves credit for fingering Wilson as the source of much of what ails this country. He pioneered the role of the liberal academic destroying our once great public school system.
Messages In This Thread
Desperate Appeal to Low Information Voters - by Hoot Gibson - 11-02-2014, 09:50 PM