Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's the top 5 bball players in the history of the mountains?
1. "King" Kelly Coleman, Wayland: In 1956 there were 3 premire high school basketball players in the Eastern United States. Jerry West (The NBA symbol), Oscar Robertson (Only player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season), and the King. The King was thought to be the best. Enough Said. He also cariied Waylad to the semifinals of the State Tournament.
2. Richie Farmer, Clay Co: The only player in Kentucky basketball history to play in 5 sweet sixteens. He played in the state championship two years in a row and put on what some consider to be the best championship game performance ever. (51 points in the finals against Allan Houston and Ballard)
3. JR Vanhoose, Paintsville: A 4 time state tournament performer played on the last day of the season 3 straight years. (!996-1998) Was possibly the most dominating presence in the state for 3 straight years. When JR played well the game was over, just ask Danny Haney. Was one of the classiest players I have ever laid my eyes on. Was hard to not like the kid because the way he played, but it was impossible not to respect him.
4. Todd May, Virgie: Maybe the most gifted offensive big man from Eastern Kentucky ever. When he went to UK as a freshman he was thought mre highly of than this fella named Kenny "SKY" Walker. (Walkers jersey now hangs from the rafters in Rupp) Carried Virgie to the semifinals of sweet sixteen.
5. Billy Ray Cassady, Inez: Key member of the 1954 state championship team and National Championship 1958 Kentucky (Fiddlin Five) team. Was the backbone of basketball tradition rich Inez High School. 1954 team also won the LIT championship.

These are my top five because they did the most where it matters ikn the wins and loss colums. Every player here played in the State Tournament. Ervin Stepp of Phelps & JJ Hylton of Belfry were great scorers and Hylton played in the sweet sixteen, but I don't think they hold water next to these five. That is just my opinion and I'm sure others will se it as wrong.
Messages In This Thread
Who's the top 5 bball players in the history of the mountains? - by Matney's Prodigey - 02-13-2006, 05:06 PM