Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did Wayne Co. come from all of the sudden?
Leonidas Wrote:I'm not predicting a Wayne Co. victory over Central, although I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, but thats not really the point of my thread.

I can't be the only one thinking this thought: "When did Wayne Co. become capable of statewide recognition in football?"

I've been following KY football from Pikeville to Paducah for longer than I'd like to admit and I never remember Wayne being in consideration for a deep playoff run, let alone a title. They are a legitimate team in 3A and have as good a chance as any team remaining to bring home the hardware this year. I love seeing KY football becoming more competitive, and by that I mean for the talent to rise, not fall to mediocrity. Wayne Co. has raised their level of play tremendously over the last couple of years and I can't help but wonder:

How did it happen?

Was the talent always there, but they just needed the right coach?

Is there a wave of football talent coming through Monticello that hasn't been seen before and is it sustainable?

Wayne is curious case to me as well. It appears it is the classic case of getting the right coach, being patient, and letting him develop talent at the HS level as well as the Middle School.

Thompson has been the Head Coach for a while and looking back over the years Wayne has had mediocre to good teams for several years now. Several 2nd Round exits.. several close games...

In the modern era of "win now" and needing immediate results it looks like Wayne County stuck with a Head Coach who took them from perennially bad to perennially mediocre. A lot of programs all too often cut bait and then you are left re-building your program from scratch.

It appears he is a good coach as evident by the fact he elevated Wayne early on and established a baseline of where they needed to be... I am now thinking that you are seeing the products of an maturing feeder program that are starting to instill the system early on and build a tradition. This is probably a bumper crop of talent that has taken them to the next level, but the fact their Middle School was a State Runner-Up this year is proof that the program in general is making another step in the right direction.

Wish more schools would follow the lead of Wayne County and give a Coach a chance to build it over time instead of being impatient.
Messages In This Thread
Where did Wayne Co. come from all of the sudden? - by EKUAlum05 - 11-22-2013, 12:21 PM