Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game
The only real problem for Belfry was the offensive line, that's where SCHS had the most at. So, for most of the night we were in shotgun sets and just tried to "out-athlete" them. It worked. Nathan Moore for SCHS was a beast, might have been a different game if he hadn't missed alot of the 2nd and 3rd quarters after a 70 some yard TD scamper. He had both SCHS TD's. SCHS was up 8-0 and then it that quickly became 22-8 after a Matt Maynard punt return, an Antwian Brifford fumble recovery, and another TD that I'm failing to remember, I think it may have been set up by a Thomas Varney bomb to Matt Maynard. The Brifford man also had a pick and a length return. The highlight of the night for me was Doug Howard's short touchdown run on a very classic play. He didn't have a huge night, because he's a power runner and the line play just wasn't there but he had a huge (amazing) catch and every time he ran or caught the ball battled for about 5 extra yards. The last touchdown was a Thomas Varney pick six where he showed a SERIOUS burst of speed. Thomas, Maynard's punt return, Brifford, and Doug Howard accounted for 4 TD's, and I have no memory of the other. Mainly because 2 point conversion plays make it easy to mix them up. Offensive MVP was Matt Maynard, who also threw a 50+ yard TD pass to only have it called back. Defensively, Everyone for Belfry was solid. Jonathan Bogar wasn't flashy but solid, IMO the MVP and Micah Mahon was all over the SCHS QB every time he dropped back. They threw several interceptions, one to Corey Charles, one to Antwian Brifford, one to Thomas Varney, maybe more. Just for the fumble recovery TD and the pick, Brifford recieved defensive MVP which I didn't like since I don't think he was an alumni (and if he had correctly filled an alley, he would have had Nathan Moore for a gain of 3 on his first TD) Good, physical, team effort by Belfry's defense. Gary Runyon was solid on that side as well, also Scotty Bell.

The story of the night was Belfry just out athleted SCHS. A lot of notables for both schools didn't play. Belfry's starting backfield were all #3, I thought that was funny (Howard, Caudill, Willis) but eventually it was Varney and Maynard (or Willis, Howard, and even once Howie Dotson) both at quarterback at the same time with Doug and Micah at halfbacks. The two QB set really got Matt into some open space, I liked it. Belfry's line did a good job, just hard to reproduce the smash mouth days of old the way we used to. I can't help but think if David Jones had played, I think he would now having still played up until now, been a few steps faster than Matt and those two paired with Thomas would have been fun. The only thing I would have changed is having two guys who weren't alumni, because even though they both played a lot and really well Belfry would have won without them.

Regardless, now I'm REALLY excited for football season and hope they can do another alumni game soon. It was super fun. How about Ryan Chapman by himself getting the win when SCHS was coached by Hager (Should've played for us!) and a staff with numerous coaches on it. Atta boy, Rooster!
Messages In This Thread
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by Burner - 06-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by Burner - 06-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by Leonidas - 06-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by Charlie - 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by Charlie - 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by Leonidas - 06-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by Leonidas - 06-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by Belfry0304 - 06-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by MCDADDY - 06-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by MCDADDY - 06-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game - by Zudith - 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM