Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marion County 52 - Notre Dame 36 (Sweet 16 Championship)
Coachinthestands,

The rotation theory is a nice theory, but horrible in actuality.

There are very few places in the state capable of hosting the girls tourney and FEWER which are sized enough.

Playing girls' state at YUM!, Freedom Hall or Rupp would be worthless. Those places have higher rents. Plus, you don't want to fill like you're playing in a cavern. Also, doubtful a place like Rupp could be booked for that long.

Parking at Memorial in Lexington is horrible, and the All-Tech Arena (which hosts state wrestling) would be too small for some girls' games.

Richmond and Frankfort both had their shots. Attendance wasn't great. And frankly, both arenas have seen better days.

Now if NKU wanted to host at the Bank of Kentucky center, that's an intriguing choice.

But cities also have to have the financial backing (big-time sponsor) as well as hotels to support a tourney. And they have to WANT to host it.

If YUM! and Rupp wanted the girls' tournament bad enough, the state tourney would be in Lou or Lex by now ... but that ain't happening.

And with most of the state's population base residing in these three areas (LOU-LEX-NKY), also known as the golden triangle, it makes sense to keep the events NEAR the golden triangle, not push it away.

You do NOT want to alienate the MAJORITY of your fanbase.

IIRC, Here are the state sites. Keep in mind that far west KY and far east KY have very few facilities capable of hosting most state tournaments. And just because they would fit in in like 2 or 3 spots does NOT mean they should be awarded those 2 or 3 spots (especially when there are better facilities OR more centrally located facilities)

Cross Country: Lexington (Horse Park)
Golf: Bowling Green (BGCC)
Soccer: Lexington (multiple high schools)
Volleyball: Louisville (Valley HS, formerly Bellarmine U)
Football: Bowling Green (WKU)
Boys' Basketball: Lexington (UK/Rupp)
Girls' Basketball: Bowling Green (WKU/Diddle)
Swimming: Louisville
Wrestling: Lexington (Horse Park)
Bowling: Louisville
Archery: Louisville
Cheerleading: Bowling Green (WKU/Diddle)
Baseball: Lexington
Softball: Owensboro (has been in J'town, Hopkinsville and Frankfort in the last dozen years or so as well)
Tennis: Lexington (mostly UK)
Track: Louisville (formerly Lexington)
Bass Fishing: Land Between the Lakes in Western-Southern Kentucky

FWIW, I'm NOT from Louisville.
I'm NOT from Lexington
I'm NOT from Bowling Green.
I'm NOT from NKY, either.
Messages In This Thread
Marion County 52 - Notre Dame 36 (Sweet 16 Championship) - by cksportsfan - 03-25-2013, 12:11 AM