Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republicans to Mitt Romney: Exit stage left
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, they would not be a slam dunk. In fact, any Republican presidential candidate that puts Christie on it will see a weaker turnout than Romney received. Christie is not conservative enough to help with the base and he could not deliver NJ to the GOP. I know that the media types have spooked some conservatives into agreeing that they need to move further to the middle, but the loss of moderates Dole, McCain, and Romney - and two landslide victories by Ronald Reagan suggests that they are wrong.

If Christie wants to run on anybody's ticket, then let him switch parties to do it.

I know less about Republicans than you do, obviously, however, if a yellow dog would have ran against Obama, every Republican would have tried their hardest to have elected a dog.

Christie appeals to the middle, you have to try to appeal to the middle.

Remember Hoot, Reagan's last year in office was 1989. We are talking two years after I was born. Most of my generation barely knows who he is. (History was one of my two majors in college, so obviously I know him, but I am one of the few near my age). NOBODY younger than 45 today could have voted for him then.

I say all of that to say that times are different. Remember, ONE Presidential election in the last 22 years had the popular vote go for a Republican. (Bush 2 lost the popular vote to Gore in his first try.)
Messages In This Thread