Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern 67 Rowan Co. 57 (Sweet 16)
LEXINGTON, KY. — One of only 17 coaches with more than 600 career wins, Steve Wright is one of most successful coaches in Kentucky history.

But on Friday, Wright accomplished something that left even him a bit speechless in the postgame news conference at Rupp Arena.

In his first season at Pulaski Southwestern, Wright has guided the Warriors into the semifinals of the PNC/KHSAA Boys’ Sweet 16 with a 67-57 victory over Rowan County in the semifinals before about 15,000 fans in Rupp Arena.

“Special,” Wright said, after collecting his thoughts.

Wright, who led South Laurel to the 2005 Sweet 16 title, has helped Southwestern to the semifinals in the school’s first Sweet 16 trip. The Warriors will play the Trinity-Clark County winner on Saturday morning.

“When you stay at a place like I did for so long it’s a tough decision to leave,” Wright said about leaving South Laurel after last season. “I felt blessed to be there as long as I was, but it was the best thing for me.

“It’s been a great situation, and I am just so happy for the school and the community. It’s a great place and it’s tremendous for them.”

The Warriors made it into the semifinals in style.

Southwestern used a 13-0 run early in the fourth quarter to break open a tight game and then hit free throws to knock out the Vikings, who made it to the state tournament championship game last year.

“Our kids played excellent defense and rebounded the ball,” Wright said. “It was hard to scout them because it was like watching ourselves. They’re a very good team. We had to rebound, stop penetration and guard their shooters.”

Rowan County (26-8) did hit 11 of 30 from three-point range but managed to hit just 18 of 52 (34.6 percent) from the field overall. Southwestern was 17 of 45 shooting but hit 28 of 37 free throws, including 18 of 20 in the fourth quarter.

And it was free throws that started the run.

After Rowan County scored the final eight points of the third quarter, D.J. Townsend scored for the Vikings to make it 47-45 with 7:12 left.

But Justin Epperson and Justin Schulz started the run with two free throws apiece before Justin Edwards hit a short jumper to make it 51-47. Rowan County didn’t score for 5:25 when Adam Wing hit a three-pointer but by then it was 58-50.

“We gave them the lead (with free throws) and then it was an uphill battle,” Rowan County coach Shawn Thacker said. “We just turned the ball over too many times during that stretch and didn’t get many quality shots.”

The Warriors ends it with 7 of 8 free throws to seal it.

Guard David Kapinga led Southwestern with 18 points, six rebounds, five assists and five steals on 5 of 9 shooting. Edwards added 15 points and 10 rebounds, while Cody Epperson had 13 and was 7 of 8 on free throws.

Townsend led Rowan County with 19. Wing, named one of the five finalists for Mr. Basketball at halftime, was 2 of 13 and had five points and 10 rebounds.

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/section...le?site=B2
Messages In This Thread
Southwestern 67 Rowan Co. 57 (Sweet 16) - by Stardust - 03-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Southwestern 67 Rowan Co. 57 (Sweet 16) - by NEXT - 03-17-2012, 01:02 AM