Poll: 3A State Championship
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
50.00%
Central
50.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry vs. Central Dec. 3 (3A State Championship)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I don't have much to add that hasn't been mentioned already.

Belfry has had several strengths that have allowed them to advance, which in this game are either neutralized or in the favor of Central.

-Central is as deep as Belfry, if not deeper.
-Central is as physical as Belfry, if not moreso
-Central can impose their will on the pace of the game.
-Scroggins is as good as any coach in the State when it comes to adjustments.

If one were to make a table showing 20 items and listing who has the advantage, the only column where Belfry would distinctly have the check mark in their favor would be on the Offensive and Defensive Lines, and even those are very slight advantages IMHO.

It is painfully obvious if both teams bring an equal performance to the game that the Pirates will lose this one, and probably by a few TD's.

The one thing that does give me hope is the fact we are still yet to see this still relatively young Belfry team play to their full potential and put together a perfect game on both sides of the ball. The Pirates have shown flashes of offensive brilliance, but haven't proven to be able to sustain it for 4 full Quarters. The Pirates haven't shown the form of the defense that stonewalled a very good Ashland team as well.

Belfry has proven that they can move the ball on the ground against Central in the previous two State Final meetings... what has killed Belfry has been turnovers (quick change points in particular), missed tackles on the stretch play, and the deep ball. I warned Bell County fans prior to their game that Central may very well e the most lethal team in Kentucky at turning your turnovers into points. In 2007 the Pick 6 before the Half was the turning point and cost Belfry the game. Last year, trailing 7-0 the Pirates fumbled in their own territory and Central promptly made it 14-0 on the very next play... trailing 21-0 the Pirates still had a pulse as they had drove into Central territory with a chance to cut the lead to 14 before the Half. The Pirates fumble..Central scoops...then returns it for a TD. Suddenly instead of trailing by 2 TD's at halftime the Pirates trailed by 4 TD's.

Protecting the football against the hard hitting Yellowjackets is easier said than done... but if the Pirates can do so... and can force Wales to be them with numerous 5-10 yard runs instead of 3 or 4 40-60 yard runs to where the clock moves quickly and the number of possessions are limited...the the Pirates have a chance.

All things considered I see Central beating Belfry similar to the Ft. Campbell game.

Is it against the rules to have David Jones put on the pads and lineup at HB this week to prepare the defense for Wales' strength and speed? Big Grin

i wondered exactly the same thing. wasn't sure if anybody else would've thought of this, but that's undoubtedly the best way to prepare the defense for the kind of speed wales has.
Messages In This Thread
Belfry vs. Central Dec. 3 (3A State Championship) - by just_another_fan - 12-02-2011, 12:35 AM