Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seven Ways Rick Perry Wants to Change the Constitution
As a history major (and Christian Ministries, but for this debate, we will focus on history), I agree and disagree with TRT.

Slavery in America and slavery across the world were not always the same thing. There were slaves that were treated like indentured servants that were never allowed to leave. Yet, they were given shelter, food, clothes, some religious freedom, etc... while that is like comparing a punch to the face to a punch in the groin. Nobody wants either but one is more tolerable than the other.

Just as Abraham Lincoln famously said, "Slavery has the power to make me miserable." I detest the idea and practice of slavery that still goes on today in parts of the world.

Three major drawbacks to "good" slavery: (I could use many from the Bible, but as I said, I am using only history and reason for this debate)
1. Education.
Slaves in all parts of the world were forbidden to be educated. They were not allowed to read, write, travel independently, hold office, vote, etc.... If they were ever allowed to, chances are almost 100% that they would rebel.
2. Something about one human owning another human. I can give no source outside the Bible, but moral fiber just tells us that is wrong. Come on! lol
3. Slaves that chose to leave, were never allowed.
For the instances when a slave would try to run, anywhere in the world, the owners would track them down. This is NOT just a United States idea. Slaves all over the world tried to escape. It was more organized and widely recorded in US history but that happened elsewhere. If slaves had it so "good", why would they ever consider leaving?
Messages In This Thread
Seven Ways Rick Perry Wants to Change the Constitution - by LWC - 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM