Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern wins 2011 Food City tourney
UK Fan14 Wrote:It's possible Prestonsburg will continue to host the tourney, they have a great relationship with the Food City folks. It was just a down year for the number of volunteers (the boosters were almost spread to thin this year). If at all possible we will continue the event just because the ones who got it started 4 yrs. ago really don't want to see it end.

We try and run a good tourney and like the set-up we have it's just tough when your team numbers are down which means your number of booster parents are down. This happened to be that year.

It was a very good tourney and congrats to Southwestern for adding their name to the champions list :

Food City " Summer Slam" Champs
2008 : South Laurel
2009 : Betsy Layne
2010 : Allen Central
2011 : Southwestern

If all goes well then we'll have the 2012 tourney next Aug. !!!!
No one does not appreciate the effort you folks put into the tourney at all, please understand. But I for one, would be happy to see them move it to Pikeville. We would have (all within a 5 mile radius) the Expo center, the Blue Goose gym, the PHS gym. And if really needed, I am sure arrangements could be made for the Mullins Middle School or PCC gym. Treat the Expo Center games like Center Court for Wimbledon, so to speak, and on the final day, have all games there, make it an all day thing. Plenty of parking, hotel rooms close by, places to eat very close by, etc. With the city now running the Expo, I know they would be happy to work with Food City and the organizers. The Expo has done a great job with regional basketball tourneys, etc, and I see no reason they couldn't do the same for this tourney. Might also help the numbers come up.
Messages In This Thread
Southwestern wins 2011 Food City tourney - by PHSForever - 08-15-2011, 12:37 PM