Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Ever Listen to Night-time AM Radio Growing Up?
Bob Seger Wrote:Really looking forward to Hoot chiming in, I know that he was big into this subject back in the day.
You know I was always a big fan of AM radio and I still am. When I was a Little Leaguer, I used to sneak my transistor radio to bed and listen to Jack Buck call the baseball Cardinals games on KMOX St. Louis. Like you, I have fond memories of cruising around on the weekends with friends listening to WOWO.

I still listen more to AM radio than anything else. I have a C. Crane CCRadio-2 that I set to shut off after 60 minutes every night and then it serves as my alarm clock each morning. I also have two small digital Sangean AM/FM radios that have the auto shut-off feature.

My main requirement for any radio that I buy is that it have a great AM tuner - most radios don't. I have owned a couple of GE Supertuner III radios that also have great AM reception but they lack the digital tuners of the Sangean and C. Crane models.

The one thing that I miss about driving a car to work is listening to AM radio talk shows. Reception is not very good on a train and it disappears entirely as soon as the train car becomes a subway car.

If anybody is interested in buying one of the best AM radios ever made, check out the C. Crane website. AM radio doesn't get much better than a CCRadio-2 paired with a Twin Coil Ferrite AM Antenna.

Unfortunately AM reception around DC is poor compared to what I had in Kentucky and Indiana. Nothing like the reception one could get on a Saturday night drive in eastern Kentucky with a good car radio and a real steel antenna.