Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enes' Father says Enes "will be a Sophomore at UK"
Stardust Wrote:So, what other European athlete have they ever given eligibility to? I don't know of anywhere else, that a paid profession does not make you a professional. And, if you compete against those paid professionals, that makes you a professional as well if you accept any compensation.

An amateur may play in the US Open golf tournament, but mus receive ZERO compensation financially. They must pay their entire way both to and from the event, and they are no eligible for any winnings from the tournament. They cannot take money to be put into a college fund, they cannot take money for room and board, they cannot take money for anything. How does that differ?

As for the NCAA ruling, this is definitely ground-breaking, and as we all knew, would set the tone for all other foreign players forever. Cam Newtons, the OSU players, all of those incidents have happened in the past, thus there is a precedence that one can repeat or use for judgement. The player seeking eligibility after playing a professional sport is not. Thus, just like anything that is new in our life, sometimes it takes time to make sure you get it right (or your interpretation of right).

Everyone wants this done now because it affects you as a UK basktball fan. The rest of the nation could care less. The NCAA has no care that this affects UK Basketball, this affects ALL of basketball. Go to court someday and see how long it takes to put a case together against a HOF baseball pitcher accused of either doing or not doing steroids. Cases and judgements don't take a week to decide.

You're right, this is new to the NCAA, but like I said, the Kanter family wasn't aware of the NCAA rules when Enes accepted the money at such a young age and when he decided to play college basketball instead of professional. Just look at it from their families point of view, it's not something they were aware of and the NCAA has to realize that. If they wind up ruling Kanter permanently ineligible, then fine, I can live with it because I know our coach can get someone else in here to replace his scholarship.

Just some food for thought, but here is another scenario: Kanter is considered a professional by the NCAA at this point, so why can't he sign with a NBA team tomorrow? Why does he have to go through the draft just like other collegiate basketball players?
Messages In This Thread
Enes' Father says Enes "will be a Sophomore at UK" - by BlackcatAlum - 12-25-2010, 09:49 PM