Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Can you imagine the crowd a JC-Belfry/Paintsville-Magoffin game would bring in.

I say that would be a good gate, but you got to look at it from this aspect as well. Games such as the Big Sandy Bowl (Paintsville and JC playing on the same night on the same field) would be a huge gate but was always split down the middle between the two schools. A lot of people want this type of scenario as the "New Apple Bowl" and I would like for it to happen too because we all know that Paintsville isn't able to compete with JC right now...honestly they never should have due to the size difference in the schools. However, a Big Sandy Bowl set up with those teams (JC vs Belfry/Paintsville vs Magoffin) splitting the gate would screw JC out of thousands of dollars.

How many people attend Paintsville games? I went to the P'burg game and there wasn't a big crowd, the Paintsville faithful don't come out like they did when I played there...and it's tough for me to see that. How many people form Magoffin would come down 460 to watch them play Paintsville? I'm not sure since I haven't seen Magoffin's fan base...but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be more than a couple hundred if that. Now, how many people attend a JC game? It's usually packed on the home side each Friday night...How many people from Belfry would travel to Paintsville to watch that game against JC? They packed the visiting side two years ago and look for them to do it again this coming year. If JC did take that game on and have to split the gate with Paintsville...they would essentially be giving all the money the people from Pond Creek pay to Paintsville instead of keeping it.

If anything happens with this game, it should be between Paintsville and JC only. Other than that, don't play it.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by IRISH4 - 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM