Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It makes no sense that Matney would want to resume the series. If I recall correctly, Matney made a public comment or two about wanting to end the series before it was finally canceled. I don't know why the elementary school games would have any bearing on the Apple Bowl. I would like to see Paintsville in a league with all of the county grade school teams but Paintsville does not seem to be in any position to make any demands.

Maybe Matney is getting some pressure from the elementary principals who want a shot at the Tigers and the gate that the games would bring in.

I will be disappointed if the series resumes. Like others have suggested, a double-header Apple Bowl featuring two competitive match-ups would be much better than one annual blowout game.

This series shouldnt continue because Kinner can't beat smaller tier teams in the state and no matter how much talent he gets, he'll never beat Matney. He got outcoached by about every school he has played against except for SF. Allen Central had less talent, and really should have beat the tigers. Look at how bad of a year he had last year with a big line and Doderer on his team. If Doderer would have been a at JC, Matney would have made a star out of him. Had a kid playing quarterback last year in a spread offense that didn't have the ability to run that style and played him because he based things on politics instead of ability.This years qb was playing wr when he would have been terrific for last years squad because he's a good spread offense qb. A better coach would have had him at qb last year, instead of just letting Caldwell play it for one season. Makes no sense whatsoever! Using the elementary school excuse makes no sense either because it's lame and pathetic. This is embarrassing how things are when they get beat by schools phs used to crush and make sorry excuses like this to get out of playing JC. Sammons has done good for academics, which would have been good at phs even without his guidance. Him and the rest of the adminstration has made phs a joke as far as athletics goes. People went from fearing the Tigers to laughing at them. Run off and pretty much slap people in the face that were good and still would have been good for the program to make a man with no coaching experience their coach. Can't even get a good alumni to leave JC to take a job at Paintsville, which shows how bad times are. This crap makes me sick. I'll never donate another dollar to that school system till changes are made.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by Superman20 - 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM