Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The Apple Bowl was one tradition that should have ended soon after Jim Matney was hired to coach Johnson Central. The games were becoming so lopsided that they were not helping either team. I hope that the series is never resumed because that will mean that Johnson Central's program has fallen on hard times again.

Tailback44 Wrote:Pretty much, BIG 5A school JC was always beating up on little oh 1A Paintsville. I'm kinda glad to see it over. I would like to see a series of JC and Paintsville playing other teams during the Apple Fesitval though.

Eagle84 Wrote:TIGERTIME: You should be better known as “Alice and Wander Land” The demise of the Apple Bowl started when Johnson Central hired Coach Matney.
So let me get this right, Paintsville would play the Apple Bowl if the county grade school teams would play your grade school team. How does one relate to the other? In the past 5 years how many times has Paintsville 7&8 grade team refused to play Johnson Central Middle School team even though this game was schedule through the conference?
Did you not see the score of the Pineville game last week (62-6)? The problems with Paintsville football program is not having a running clock put on you in the Apple Bowl by Johnson Central but the people in charge of the program at Paintsville. From the administration down through your elementary, middle school and high school football coaches. At this point in time all Johnson Central Football Program gets out of the Apple Bowl would be having a game your could rest our starter before we start district and the economic reward of the game.
The most dominate area for Paintsville in the Apple Bowl was 1975 and 1982 however, Johnson Central did not blame Paintsville for the losses and we continue to play the apple Bowl.
At this time I think it is fair to say unless Paintsville’s administration, coaches and fans take the responsibility for the actions (not projecting blame ) and make the necessary changes to the football program TIGERTIME is over.

MonsterMan Wrote:This is not true, Paintsville quit, plain and simple. They had had enough. To be honest, when JC set their goals higher than beating Paintsville their whole program turned around. Alot of memories for the older fans, but it serves no purpose in the JC program now.

oneijoe Wrote:With all due respect, Johnson Co. schools refusing to play Paintsville at the elementary level didn't end the Apple Bowl.

While it may have made Paintsville's decision to stop the series somewhat easier to make, it's a different matter entirely. IMO, it's a WORSE thing (forcing the younger Paintsville kids to play games out of county). For many years that's been the biggest kernel of ill-will between the 2 school systems. Still...it isn't what stopped the Apple Bowl.

MonsterMan Wrote:Again you are wrong. paintsville Football is over! Not enough quality athletes left or money to support the program. Like I said, JC does not need Paintsville in anyway to suceed in football. Sound like you guys need JC to survive.

Classic Johnson County looks to me like hiring a great coach and building one of the top programs in the state, and with out any help from paintsville. If this is cutting our throats let me be the first to get a knife!

Eagle Eye Wrote:This is so funny!!! Where did you get your information? Bottom line is that JC will not play the elementary school because Pville likes to choose what sports they will play JC middle/elementary in. If they can compete they will play, bottom line. Don't go blaming our administration for Paintsville's decisions. Truth is they really can't compete in anything but soccer anymore.:igiveup:

JC is moving to higher expectations than beating Paintsville. I just wish that JC would pick up a game on Thursday night. Miss that football for this week.

MonsterMan Wrote:The JC system can play within and support itself and has gas money to travel. Like and earlier poster stated, Paintsville only wants to play when it feels it can win and that is not very often in any sport now. Our kids do not see beating Paintsville as anything special now. From the post I am reading, beating JC is a priority for the Paintsville kids. We have moved on and setting our sights higher.

This was about the Apple Bowl and Apple Week. Most teams now are in the hunt for their distircts so playing othter outside teams is out. Lets take a week off and go to The Apple Festival and get ready for theTomcats.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:Whoever made the decision to cancel the Apple Bowl, I would like to personally thank them. When Matney was first hired, I though that Paintsville would be lucky to win 1 in 10 Apple Bowls, but I apparently underestimated his ability. I am glad that the annual match-up was canceled and as for the all-time record between the schools, I could not care less. Let Paintsville's alumni long for the good old days all they want, as long as Johnson Central maintains a football befitting a 5A school nobody should want to see the Apple Bowl resurrected. - least of all JC.

Barring another huge hiring blunder by Johnson Central's administration after Matney retires (it has happened repeatedly in the past), Paintsville should never be competitive with Johnson Central again - but history does have a way of repeating itself. I don't want to see JC or Paintsville play each other when they could be competing with teams closer to their own level instead.

Superman20 Wrote:I tell you one thing, you have come up with the lamest excuses that I have ever read. LOL

MonsterMan Wrote:We have heard all the posts and it is easy to see who is on what side and that their still is a big sore between these two programs. This is why playing the Apple Bowl, imo, serves no purpose other than to reopen the wound for one week a year. As for the kids, the game has no value in building either program. Sounds like alot of petty parents would like to see it continue to live out long lost rivalries, but again their is nothing in it for either program or the kids.

Pulp Fiction Wrote:I started this thread for a couple reasons.... #1 Apple Day just doesn't seem like Apple Day without the Apple Bowl and #2 to hopefully bring some light to this subject and get this game continued.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am just responding to the Paintsville posters who claim repeatedly that Paintsville's past success had nothing to do with out of district players. It did.

Do I blame their parents or the players for not playing for Johnson Central? Not one bit. In fact, I believe that parents should be able to enroll their kids in the school of their choice regardless of where they choose to live and regardless of whether they change their residence.

But all of us who are familiar with Johnson Central and Paintsville know that there have been kids playing across district lines throughout the history of the schools. Sometimes out of district players helped Paintsville more and sometimes JC was the benefiiciary. Right now, most county kids - particularly the ones best suited for football - are staying home and playing for Johnson Central. Even if that was not the case, JC has a large enough enrollment to absorb the loss of a few good players better than a Class A school like Paintsville can.

If Matney had taken the position at JC three years earlier, as he almost did, the Apple Bowl would have ended sooner. I for one wish that he had done so. Central's players deserved a better high school football experience than what they got under Bill Musick's first two successors.

Just so you all know, Matney called coach Kinner yesterday. The subject of the phone call was "Bring Back the Apple Bowl". Jason told him that if they give us 6 grade school games, we would play the Apple Bowl, just like Mr. Sammons told them before the game ended. Matney said he had no control or say-so in what the grade schools do. Then he brought up money, and how it would help Paintsville financially. IDK why everyone thinks it, but WE ARE NOT IN ANY FINANCIAL TROUBLE. I know alot of people on here think that Matney and JC don't care about this game anymore because "they get nothing from it", but if that is the case, then why does JC want this game brought back.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by Redneck - 10-05-2010, 09:59 AM