Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
Hoot Gibson Wrote:...

The fact that JCMS has won more state championships in academic competition than any other middle school in the state has also played a roll in fewer kids paying tuition to play football for Paintsville. Paintsville used to have a big edge in academics, but that is no longer the case and that has helped Johnson Central's athletic programs.

Of all the reasons JCHS gets more of the county kids to stay in-system, this must be the least important of them.

Academic teams are a small group of students who devote a LOT of time to select subject matter for use in competitions (and the amount of time devoted is WAYYY greater than any sports team. I admire the kids who do that, though I wouldn't ask it of mine. IMO, it's TOO much). But, it has little to do with what all students are taught in the classroom.

Paintsville's edge in academics is still "big", as evidenced by the last state test scores. Central's have improved over the years (except for this past year), but the disparity was huge at the beginning.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by oneijoe - 10-03-2010, 12:11 PM