Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Humphrey ran more than one play per formation. But against Matney, he thought one play would work well for JC and they kept running it for big losses before finally giving up on it. I don't think Humphrey realized how predictable the play was. I just mentioned it as an example of Matney's attention to detail. The2006 team that lost to Covington Catholic in a game where Blake Johnson went out in the third quarter with an injury was also an outstanding team - I think their best so far. They had some pretty good teams under Musick but their regular season schedule was not as tough as it is now, so it is difficult to compare the two eras.

I can remember watching some really good Paintsville teams over the years as well. Back when Lynch was a state power, the Tigers usually gave them all they wanted for a half - which was quite an accomplishment against those teams. Lynch was big, fast, and deep in its heyday and it was a big game on the Tigers' schedule. It always drew a large crowd.

The team that had David Lemaster at quarterback was another Tiger team that I really enjoyed watching. He was as good an option quarterback as I have ever seen and he had a cannon of an arm. Paintsville has never passed a lot but they have had some quarterbacks capable of throwing and some fine receivers as well.

When I say that JC has always had talent, I should probably be more clear. JC has always had lots of athletic kids who had the potential to be great football players. However, some of those guys never played a minute on any organized team and their potential was never realized. It takes coaching and participation to develop talent, and for years Paintsville had a big edge in that
area.

Jc's always had good athletes in that school system and I think it's great that Matney's brought so much excitement to that program. Jc's admin. has done an excellent job with the coaching hires that they have made. When times were rough for JC's football program, they went out and made the best coaching hire that they could have made. If the admin. at Paintsville had any sense they would realize that they have made a bad decision and would look to find the right fit before it's to late. I compare it to Uk and Billy Gilliespie. Barnhart knew they messed up and instead of dragging it out, they went and made a homerun hire. More like a grand slam hire, which is kind of like what JC done 7 years ago. At phs the excitement is gone, they gambled on a young coach with really no coaching experience, the coach runs off any good assistants that he gets if they disagree with him or have more experience, qualified alumni that could help him wont (two phs alum coach at JC), and I can list a lot of other things but I wont. The tables have turned and phs is losing talent to the county system because they want to play in that great football atmosphere. Games at JC are always packed regardless of who they play and thats a great thing for this area.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by Superman20 - 10-01-2010, 08:22 PM