Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
Superman20 Wrote:Your right. I can agree that JC should beat paintsville every year because of the numbers. JC has done everything right in their coaching hires. Used to, paintsville had better coaching in almost every sport. Since Bill Mike retired, and Burrhead resigned that hasn't been the case. Like I have said on here before, the schools have completely flip flopped. It's all Paintsville's administrations fault, and in the past it was Jc's fault. Atleast when JC tried to replace musick, they went after coaches that actually had coaching experience, instead of what PHS did by giving the job to a man with one years experience. lol
I personally liked Coach Humphrey and he did have experience. His team was probably in better physical condition than any team that JC has ever had. My sons thought the world of the man but his offense was ridiculously complex and he just was not head coach material, IMO.

On the other hand, Coach Ross' teams were probably the most poorly conditioned team every to play at JC. He told his players that he did not believe in extra conditioning and that they would play themselves into shape. I don't remember whether it was Ross' first or second year, but JC lost one game against Paintsville after dominating the first half. Most of the JC players were exhausted before halftime because they were so out of shape. Paintsville dominated the second half and won going away. (Ryan Brown stripped the ball from an exhausted JC running back and returned the fumble for a long touchdown.)

A 1A football team should never be able to physically wear out a 5A team but that is exactly what happened. Johnson Central's linemen were gasping for air before the end of the first quarter and that was their coach's fault.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by Hoot Gibson - 09-30-2010, 10:58 PM