Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:The Brown family have great numbers employed by the city schools not the county. Therefore would you not expect them to send their children where the work. Most of these guys went to the city school anyway. Casey did not even come to Pville when Mr. Kinner got the job.He went to Central. What gives!!!!!!! We sure could have used him!!!!! We understand the thread completely. Anyway have a happy Apple Day.
I am just responding to the Paintsville posters who claim repeatedly that Paintsville's past success had nothing to do with out of district players. It did.

Do I blame their parents or the players for not playing for Johnson Central? Not one bit. In fact, I believe that parents should be able to enroll their kids in the school of their choice regardless of where they choose to live and regardless of whether they change their residence.

But all of us who are familiar with Johnson Central and Paintsville know that there have been kids playing across district lines throughout the history of the schools. Sometimes out of district players helped Paintsville more and sometimes JC was the benefiiciary. Right now, most county kids - particularly the ones best suited for football - are staying home and playing for Johnson Central. Even if that was not the case, JC has a large enough enrollment to absorb the loss of a few good players better than a Class A school like Paintsville can.

If Matney had taken the position at JC three years earlier, as he almost did, the Apple Bowl would have ended sooner. I for one wish that he had done so. Central's players deserved a better high school football experience than what they got under Bill Musick's first two successors.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by Hoot Gibson - 09-30-2010, 07:10 PM