Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
Redneck Wrote::lmao: LMFAO. I can tell ya one thing, NONE of the kids I played Little League with came over to Paintsville and played except Kyle Murphy, and he didn't come til our Sophomore year, Bill Musick's last year at JC, Musick who told him he wasn't good enough to play.
I don't know whether they played Little League with you or not, but Ryan Brown and his brothers Matt and Casey all lived in West Van Lear and played football for Paintsville. Ryan's father, Mike, and uncle Paul David also lived out of district and starred for Paintsville. I don't recall where former UK star Joey Couch played but I believe that he lived in the county district before he played for Paintsville - if not while he played there. Some of the Doderers and a Sublett or two also come to mind.

There have been many others over the years as well. Some have lived in the county district and attended Paintsville all 12 years, some transferred during high school as Kyle did, and others have enrolled at Paintsville after playing at the elementary or middle school level in the county system.

Paintsville's school district lines do not even encompass its city limits. Unless I am mistaken, Central Elementary is even located within the Paintsville city limits. Paintsville has such a small enrollment that a small number of very good out of district players has made a big difference in the Tigers' success over the years.

Obviously, the fact that more players living in the Johnson County school district have been staying home to play has not been the biggest factor in the decline of Paintsville football but it has contributed to the decline.

IMO, one of the biggest factors has been Paintsville's inability to compete with the Matney-coached Johnson Central teams. Walking around town on Apple Day following four straight blowout losses to their biggest rivals was not a fun experience for several senior football classes, especially give Paintsville's previous success in the series. Beating JC and then wearing a blue jersey the following day was a major fringe benefit of being a Tiger football player.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by Hoot Gibson - 09-30-2010, 05:32 AM