Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Excellent post Mr. Gibson.I certainly could not agree with you more. As I have looked at the posts on this thread throughout the day I have wondered how the expressions presented in them will be recieved by the young people who read them. A few short years ago young players from Paintsville and Johnson Co.were united for three years in little league baseball playoffs. It did not matter to them if one was from Flat Gap or 6th street. They were there to play baseball and try to retrieve a State championship. What is really sad was that the 4th year a group of adults decided to start a new league. Roughly half of those boys left. The State Tournement was held in Paintsville.Half of those boys played and lost. The other half watched through the fence. One could not help but think what would have happened if that group had stayed unified. Adults seem to have a way. Some of those boys now play at Central ,some at Paintsville and others to the four winds.

The Paintsville Little League was nothing more than a feeder system for Paintsville School system. They would recruit enough county players to cover and complement the city kids. The first thing Matney did was keep the county kids at home. This helped the county program and destroyed the Paintsville Football program. Setting up our own league was the best thing that happened. Keep our kids in our feeder program. I can see why you wish for the days when Paintsville cherry picked our kids.

This thread is about the Apple Bowl. These comments really show that this was not an atheltic event, this was an event for the two sides to continue fighting.
Maybe the old die hard fans will slide away into the past and we can get on with what really matters.

As I said earlier schools are in hunt for teir district games now and it would be hard if not impossiable to schedule other teams.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by MonsterMan - 09-29-2010, 08:25 AM