Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
Ok, here is the disclaimer about this thread. I KNOW THAT THE APPLE BOWL HAS BEEN CANCELLED SINCE 2009. So before I start getting a bunch of PM's, I just wanted to express my feelings about this.

I am a lifelong resident of Johnson County (so are both sides of my family), and graduated from Johnson Central as did all of my uncles, aunt's, parents, cousins and siblings. And this week (Friday/Saturday is when the city of Paintsville shuts down) is the annual Apple Festival. And for as long as I can remember, (expect for last season and this season) the Thursday night of Apple Day, we (me and my family) got dressed up in our black and gold and headed to either Memorial Field or Eagle Field and had to park either in the Plaza or sometimes past Dairy Queen. No matter the weather, location, records of either team, it was the "Super Bowl" of Johnson County. I remember being a little kid walking around town seeing the "high schoolers" wearing their teams jerseys and seeing the winning team ride in the parade showing off the apple barrel. But now, the whole football season and Apple Fesitval just doesn't seem the same.

Before coach Matney arrived at JC, beating Paintsville made the season. JC could go 1-9, but beat Paintsville and it was a successful season. Now I can't speak for Paintsville, and I'm not gonna try to. But as soon as winter work-outs began, that was the question everybody asked "can we beat Paintsville this year?"

Maybe (hopefully not to far off) JC and Paintsville can meet on the gridiron soon.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by Pulp Fiction - 09-27-2010, 12:24 AM