Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Football Games??
Westside Wrote:I'm old school. I don't want a playoff, and I don't want a scrimmage. I love the mismatches. As a fan of a smaller D1 school like EKU, it gives us fans a chance to dream "what if". Yeah the smaller schools hardly ever win, but it does happen: Michigan vs. Appy St, Ole Miss vs Jacksonville St, and EKU vs Louisville (back in the 80's). EKU almost beat Indiana last year. The smaller schools hardly ever win but nobody expects them to. Plus it gives their athletes a chance to play in a larger stadium and test their skills against the best and besides the smaller school gets a large check that is very badly needed for their athletic program.

That is a great argument. But, when Nebraska goes 14-0 and they had 2 games against "Nobody Cares University" and then an SEC team has 1 loss after 14 legitimate games, the voters go with the undefeated team at the top.

Virginia Tech will be penalized for scheduling a decent team to start the season. They just lost their opportunity to play for a national title because they have to fight all the way back into a top 10 ranking to even get consideration down the stretch.

Virginia Tech came into the week as the #10 team in the nation. They lose to the #3 team and will now be knocked down to probably 14 or 15. Yet, #8 Nebraska beats WKU 49-10, #7 Oklahoma escapes with a 31-24 win over Utah state, #9 Iowa wins 37-7 over Eastern Illinois and they will hold their positions. They play feel good games for the teams that deserved nothing more than a scrimmage opportunity, and provide false rankings in comparison to the Hokies.

I get your point, but the quality of the big schools schedules would be much better if they had the opportunity to play warm-ups before their seasons actually started. I want to see all the teams play solid schedules. I don't think Jacksonville State wins if this was game three of the schedule.
Messages In This Thread
Preseason Football Games?? - by Stardust - 09-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Preseason Football Games?? - by Jarons - 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Preseason Football Games?? - by Stardust - 09-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Preseason Football Games?? - by Westside - 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Preseason Football Games?? - by Jarons - 09-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Preseason Football Games?? - by Stardust - 09-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Preseason Football Games?? - by Westside - 09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Preseason Football Games?? - by Stardust - 09-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Preseason Football Games?? - by Westside - 09-07-2010, 03:46 PM