Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rand Paul: Champion of Majoritarianism?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:As I understand what Paul said, I totally agree with him. There is a big difference in allowing individuals to freely decide with whom they want to associate and conduct business and having governments mandating that racial discrimination is the law of the land. Certain businesses and schools in the South had no legal right to serve African-Americans or to treat them equally. Had the legal requirements for businesses to discriminate on the basis of race simply been eliminated, the profit motive would have pressured businesses to stop discriminating.

Rand Paul never said that he supported allowing the majority to decide whether businesses should or should not discriminate on the basis of race. In fact, he said just the opposite - he said that it was wrong for state and local governments to mandate racial discrimination.

I heard him say the exact opposite. According to his interview on All Things Considered on NPR the Wednesday afternoon after the election he basically said it was wrong for the Federal Gov't to mandate the Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act and that those matters were handled better through state and Local Gov't.

Here is the exact quote and link to the transcript.

SIEGEL: But it's been one of the major developments in American history in the course of your life. I mean, do you think the '64 Civil Rights Act or the ADA for that matter were just overreaches and that business shouldn't be bothered by people with a basis in law to sue them for redress?
Dr. PAUL: Right. I think a lot of things could be handled locally. For example, I think that we should try to do everything we can to allow for people with disabilities and handicaps. You know, we do it in our office with wheelchair ramps and things like that. I think if you have a two-story office and you hire someone who's handicapped, it might be reasonable to let him have an office on the first floor rather than the government saying you have to have a $100,000 elevator. And I think when you get to solutions like that, the more local the better, and the more common sense the decisions are, rather than having a federal government make those decisions.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story...=126985068
Messages In This Thread
Rand Paul: Champion of Majoritarianism? - by nky - 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Rand Paul: Champion of Majoritarianism? - by nky - 05-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Rand Paul: Champion of Majoritarianism? - by nky - 05-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Rand Paul: Champion of Majoritarianism? - by DevilsWin - 05-25-2010, 11:34 PM