Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Rumor) Steve Wright to Holmes?
That's one of the names, along with Tim Riley of Warren Central, that I'm hearing as possible candidates for the open Holmes position.

In the long run, it will likely be Tim Sullivan that gets the job, but with this being a primarily EKY, Southern KY dominated board, just thought I'd get your thoughts on this since Wright coaches at South Laurel.
Tim Riley to Holmes is crazy talk.
Platinum & Gold Wrote:Tim Riley to Holmes is crazy talk.

Reason?

Riley was an assistant under Flynn in the early 90's at Holmes so I wouldn't consider it that out of the realm.
Don't see Wright going to Holmes either.
Yeah i know he was an assistant there, but that doesnt mean anything, just cause a guy was assistant at a place 2 decades ago when they were young doesn't mean anything.

Riley isn't even considering going to Holmes, this is just another message board honk throwing a name out there they heard on the street corner. Riley isn't even returning phones calls if there is calls being made to him. Riley has a better team at Warren Central than he would at Holmes.

State Championship run next year, and then his freshman / 8th grade team will make a state championship run to and then he will be done .
Platinum & Gold Wrote:Yeah i know he was an assistant there, but that doesnt mean anything, just cause a guy was assistant at a place 2 decades ago when they were young doesn't mean anything.

Riley isn't even considering going to Holmes, this is just another message board honk throwing a name out there they heard on the street corner. Riley isn't even returning phones calls if there is calls being made to him. Riley has a better team at Warren Central than he would at Holmes.

State Championship run next year, and then his freshman / 8th grade team will make a state championship run to and then he will be done .

My information comes from an admin at Holmes..not the street corner.

Riley has two better players at Warren Central in Fant/Shanklin, but as a team he doesn't and won't have a better team than Holmes over the next 5 or 6 years. Holmes soph to be, frosh to be, and 8th grade to be classes are all loaded.

Their junior to be class has some serious height and athleticism with 6'4 Dontel Rice, 6'5 Hunter Hoskins, and 6'9 David Stephens. (Cousin of current UC forward, Yancy Gates) They'll also add a point guard next year in 5'11 JaKeith Pitts that has been virtually unstoppable on the AAU circuit early on this summer. He is very comparable to an Anthony Hickey or Veontae Lewis as far as quickness, speed, and athleticism go.

The senior to be class is also very good with 6'6 Kevon Rice (4 yr varsity letterman), 6'2 Jaleel Gray, 6'0 Chris Hayes (top 2 or 3 guard in 9th region), and 6'0 Pierre Mayfield (Tourney team and mVP of several AAU tournaments over the past 3 years).

The future of Holmes rests in their soph to be class though. That is virtually the same kids from the NKY TarHeels team that finished 8th at nationals last summer. They are led by 6'0 Christian McClendon, 6'1 Rayshawn Coston, 6'2 Quan Palmer, 6'2 Englemon, and 6'4 Desean Peterson, who is already receiving D1 looks for football before his soph season starts.

Add an 8th grade class to be that went 25-2 this past season and advanced all the way to the 7th grade state quartefinals with a SIXTH GRADER leading them and it's easy to see why Holmes fans are optimistic about the next 5 or 6 years.

The talent will always be there.
Well your information from an administrator is wrong to. Just because they want Riley or are going to call Riley doesn't mean he is interested or you are hearing his name .

Riley won't drive 1 mile up I-65 from bowling green to Holmes to visit or talk if he evens answers the phone call. Throwing his name out here is just plain hog wash
I have heard this also but i think S. Laurel will fork up the cash to keep him there like they have before
Platinum & Gold Wrote:Well your information from an administrator is wrong to. Just because they want Riley or are going to call Riley doesn't mean he is interested or you are hearing his name .

Riley won't drive 1 mile up I-65 from bowling green to Holmes to visit or talk if he evens answers the phone call. Throwing his name out here is just plain hog wash

Hey I'm not sayin he's going to leave...I'm just saying there's interest from both sides.

Interest from both sides doesn't always mean something gets done though. Take it FWIW.

Considering Holmes has been one of the most successful programs in the state over the past 5-6 yrs, I can assure you there are some high profile coaches around the state who are interested in the job and who will apply.
If Wright leaves who coaches the Cards? Roscoe Denney?
Peacedomes85 Wrote:I have heard this also but i think S. Laurel will fork up the cash to keep him there like they have before

I believe that is the only reason he ever puts his name into any conversation, to get a raise! He has not intentions of ever leaving London.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Hey I'm not sayin he's going to leave...I'm just saying there's interest from both sides.

Interest from both sides doesn't always mean something gets done though. Take it FWIW.

Considering Holmes has been one of the most successful programs in the state over the past 5-6 yrs, I can assure you there are some high profile coaches around the state who are interested in the job and who will apply.

No there is not interest from both sides, riley has no interest, you are saying holmes is one of the most successful on the last 5-6 years..

what is warren central then? as for teams of the decade in the state, Mason county is #1, Warren Central was #2. Central went to the state like 7 of the 10 years or something. Warren Central has had more success than Holmes.
Riley would be insane to go to Holmes
The Holmes Job is WIDE open from what i hear
From all that I have heard, Tim Riley is not considering the Holmes position. If he were to, that would be an interesting option.

Doesn't Wright have family in the Northern Kentucky area?
Peacedomes85 Wrote:The Holmes Job is WIDE open from what i hear

They adv. it on Career Builders. Don't think I have ever seen a high school coaching job adv. on there before.
^ I've seen coaching positions posted on there in the past. It is an odd place to post school teaching or school coaching positions since the Schools are all on a network that all can communicate broadly.
Stardust Wrote:^ I've seen coaching positions posted on there in the past. It is an odd place to post school teaching or school coaching positions since the Schools are all on a network that all can communicate broadly.

Exactally. My feelings is that they were not getting the applications they thought they would and then decided to put it on Career Builders to attract more applications.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2010/0...ng-update/

Ryan Ernst Latest Blog About Holmes
Platinum & Gold Wrote:No there is not interest from both sides, riley has no interest, you are saying holmes is one of the most successful on the last 5-6 years..

what is warren central then? as for teams of the decade in the state, Mason county is #1, Warren Central was #2. Central went to the state like 7 of the 10 years or something. Warren Central has had more success than Holmes.

Holmes had 3 straight final 4 appearances from 07-09, went to back to back state championship games, and won a state championship.

The also won region 4 out of 5 years and went to the region championship 5 out of 6 years. Considering the 9th region is much tougher than the 4th region, I'd say Holmes run was a little more impressive the past FIVE years.

Decade wise, Warren Central is #2 behind Mason Co. But the past 5 years it's not even close. Holmes has had MUCH MORE success. The run they put together the past 5 years, making it to 3 straight final 4's, and back to back state title games isn't a feat that's been accomplished by many teams. Do some research and get back to me on that.
Peacedomes85 Wrote:http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2010/0...ng-update/

Ryan Ernst Latest Blog About Holmes

Applications have started flowing into the Holmes athletic department for its vacant boys’ basketball coaching position. Holmes athletic director Ron Madrick said interest has been “significant.”

“We don’t know what the number of candidates is yet,” he said. “But we’ve gotten a tremdnous amount of interest from around the state, as you can imagine.”

Holmes, a year removed from winning the program’s first state title, lost its coach when David Henley resigned last week to take the North Oldham job.

Madrick said the school would like to have a new coach in place by May 24. Applicants will be screened by a committee, which will then set up interviews. It will narrow down the list to a few finalists, who will be submitted to Covington Independent School District superintendent Lynda Jackson for a final decision.

“We’d like to get it done by (May 24), because we get out of school on the 28th,” Madrick said. “It depends on if there are any complications. But the timetable is pretty strict.”
Tim Sullivan is obviously the best choice for this job. He has all the support from the parents and the kids, AD, administration, etc.

Now, Lynda Jackson is on a power trip to hire a big name...I think hiring anyone but Sullivan is a bad decision!!

I know his record doesn't compare to Steve Wright's but c'mon South Laurel been beating up on nobody his whole career.

Cooper was vastly improved this year under Sullivan. He runs his program the right way and can instill that at Holmes. :Thumbs:
kywldcat01 Wrote:Considering the 9th region is much tougher than the 4th region, I'd say Holmes run was a little more impressive the past FIVE years.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this part did make me chuckle a little given the 9th Region's history versus 4th Region teams in the Sweet 16. I think it was 2001-2005 that the 4th Region champion put the 9th Region champ out four out of the five years. Oh sure, there would have been years the 9th champ would have won had they met, but every time since the 80s that they did, the 4th Region took it down.

I will give you the last five years Holmes has been more impressive. If you stretched that to as little as seven years, you'd be on the losing end of the argument.

Bottom line as it pertains to this issue, Coach Riley is not going anywhere in this state at this point. I could see him do some double dipping in another state when he can retire here (if he can't already), but what would be the use of him uprooting his entire family for about a 2-3 year run at a school whose history he had with is now two decades ago? He has built Warren Central into a state power and is like a deity there. His son is currently a sophomore (junior to be) there, and I'm sure he'd want him to finish there. I just can't see it.
I've heard the following guys are all candidates that will be interviewed this week:

Jason Booher (Shelby Valley)
Champ Ligon (Former Bryan Station coach)
Steve Wright (South Laurel)
Tim Sullivan (Cooper..former Holmes and Mason Co assistant)
Brad Carr (Scott High School)
kywldcat01 Wrote:I've heard the following guys are all candidates that will be interviewed this week:

Jason Booher (Shelby Valley)
Champ Ligon (Former Bryan Station coach)
Steve Wright (South Laurel)
Tim Sullivan (Cooper..former Holmes and Mason Co assistant)
Brad Carr (Scott High School)

Of these listed I feel that Champ Ligon would be the best fit for Holmes. He has coaced at Bryan Station and has delt with the type of kids that Holmes has. I dont' mean this in a bad way, but it will take a special coach to be able to handle all the off court things that has had to be delt with in the past.
Coach Sullivan has already proven he's earned the community and the kids respect. He is the best choice, IMO. Not to mention his system with the DDM and pressure M2M would kill down there.

He was Henley's enforcer when he was an assistant...a person Henley desperately missed after he left. Just ask Henley.
Gold Charger Wrote:Of these listed I feel that Champ Ligon would be the best fit for Holmes. He has coaced at Bryan Station and has delt with the type of kids that Holmes has. I dont' mean this in a bad way, but it will take a special coach to be able to handle all the off court things that has had to be delt with in the past.

As stated in another thread, there really aren't as many off the court issues as people who aren't close to the program, think or may say.

When Coach Henley came in to Holmes he had never coached at an inner city school and he did just fine. Sure he had the experience of coaching at a D1 college (Duquesne and Murray St), but you don't need the experience of coaching at an inner city school to have success there.

See Reynolds Flynn at Holmes and his son Mike. Mike coached in EKY and NKY and did just fine in both areas.

Holmes may be a urban inner city school, but in terms of basketball work ethic, there is no difference between them and any other school in the state, regardless of background.

As far as Ligon goes, I don't think he'd be a good candidate for the simple fact that his teams were usually undisciplined at both ends of the floor. His teams relied on pure athleticism.
kywldcat01 Wrote:When Coach Henley came in to Holmes he had never coached at an inner city school and he did just fine. Sure he had the experience of coaching at a D1 college (Duquesne and Murray St), but you don't need the experience of coaching at an inner city school to have success there.

See Reynolds Flynn at Holmes and his son Mike. Mike coached in EKY and NKY and did just fine in both areas.

Where do you get some of your information?
Mike Flynn is not the son of Reynolds Flynn. Reynolds Flynn and Mike Flynn are not related. Mike is from Western Kentucky and coached at Warren Central before going to Holmes. He then came here to the 16th Region and coached Ashland, moved on to Bourbon County then to Highlands.

I would think David Henley had some experience coaching urban/inner city kids while at Murray State. OVC schools tend to get those fringe kids from urban areas.
Mike Flynn is from right outside Clemson, South Carolina so both of you are wrong.
[quote=kywldcat01]As stated in another thread, there really aren't as many off the court issues as people who aren't close to the program, think or may say.

When Coach Henley came in to Holmes he had never coached at an inner city school and he did just fine. Sure he had the experience of coaching at a D1 college (Duquesne and Murray St), but you don't need the experience of coaching at an inner city school to have success there.

Holmes may be a urban inner city school, but in terms of basketball work ethic, there is no difference between them and any other school in the state, regardless of background.

As far as Ligon goes, I don't think he'd be a good candidate for the simple fact that his teams were usually undisciplined at both ends of the floor. His teams relied on pure athleticism.[/QUOTE]

kywldcat01, I have seen Bryan Station and Ligon coach many games, the bolded is far from the truth of how Legion coached his teams.

As far as the off court issues, I remember what happened at the 5/3 Classic with the Holmes players, and other things reported. IMO Legion would be a great fit. Holmes would be lucky to get him. Great coach.