Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley's future
So with Valley losing their starting 5, how does things look for the wildcats.

I know next year will be a way down year for Valley, will they ever get back to the State Championship game? if so, how long from now.

Is Valley's future bright?
Dorton and Virgie both have very successful middle school teams. If they all attend SV high school you would be looking at another good run in about 3 years.
DONTCRYABOUTIT Wrote:Dorton and Virgie both have very successful middle school teams. If they all attend SV high school you would be looking at another good run in about 3 years.

Hopefully the parents of these young kids will see what this SV team just accomplished.
Shelby Valley will be down talent wise from where they were this year, but they will still be at the top of the 15th region and they are my pre season pick to win the regional tournament next year.
My thoughts are as Trufan states in his comment. This years team played the seniors almost all of the minutes played. Even with new talent coming up in the freshmen ranks it will take time for them to learn to play together as a team. Maybe by tournament time they will be able to jell. Also there has been some talk about Coach Booher leaving. If he left that could cause a problem, with a young inexperienced team we need veteran coaching experience in my opinion. At any rate, Trufan, the next few years will be very interesting and I hope as enjoyable as the last few.
trufan Wrote:Shelby Valley will be down talent wise from where they were this year, but they will still be at the top of the 15th region and they are my pre season pick to win the regional tournament next year.
I think that's more of an indictment on the rest of the region, not so much the cupboard of Shelby Valley.
dortonite Wrote:My thoughts are as Trufan states in his comment. This years team played the seniors almost all of the minutes played. Even with new talent coming up in the freshmen ranks it will take time for them to learn to play together as a team. Maybe by tournament time they will be able to jell. Also there has been some talk about Coach Booher leaving. If he left that could cause a problem, with a young inexperienced team we need veteran coaching experience in my opinion. At any rate, Trufan, the next few years will be very interesting and I hope as enjoyable as the last few.

shew, me and you both lol!!
5timechamp Wrote:Hopefully the parents of these young kids will see what this SV team just accomplished.

If seeing first hand what this team accomplished at the state tournament doesn't motivate these kids and parents, nothing ever could. I believe it will. Most of the kids from Dorton and Virgie were down there supporting the Wildcats. If the effort is put forth to get better like the SV kids have done, this could be another pretty special team. I can't see anything else motivating kids more than a state championship.
For the future of Valley basketball. I really think that they will be back as a state power in about two years. I know that they have good components coming in and have to begin developing the raw talent but like it has been said, they have all of the motivation in the world to look at. I would think that next year they fall hard and take their knocks in the region BUT they still should be able to be competitive and win the region if things go really well.
To lose your 1st 7 players is tough, but they will be OK. They will not be playing for a state championship, but a regional...
dortonite Wrote:My thoughts are as Trufan states in his comment. This years team played the seniors almost all of the minutes played. Even with new talent coming up in the freshmen ranks it will take time for them to learn to play together as a team. Maybe by tournament time they will be able to jell. Also there has been some talk about Coach Booher leaving. If he left that could cause a problem, with a young inexperienced team we need veteran coaching experience in my opinion. At any rate, Trufan, the next few years will be very interesting and I hope as enjoyable as the last few.

surely he wouldnt leave after he wins state just because his talent wouldnt be as good the next few years..
BlueSky Wrote:To lose your 1st 7 players is tough, but they will be OK. They will not be playing for a state championship, but a regional...

Exactly!! They are now back on an even playing ground with the rest of the region.
Sorry folks but its gonna be 15+years before that happens again if it ever does. All the ingredients were there for State tourney stew this year, the players, coaches, and parents: the preparation, the experience, **** even the weather!!. I know its easier to motivate the kids now but after a few losing seasons with some players that have very little varsity experience its also just as easy to say,, we'll never be as good as those guys. Maybe when the kids of these players are in High School there might be a chance. But i predict they dont make an appearance for the next 6 years!!
BlueChip1 Wrote:Sorry folks but its gonna be 15+years before that happens again if it ever does. All the ingredients were there for State tourney stew this year, the players, coaches, and parents: the preparation, the experience, **** even the weather!!. I know its easier to motivate the kids now but after a few losing seasons with some players that have very little varsity experience its also just as easy to say,, we'll never be as good as those guys. Maybe when the kids of these players are in High School there might be a chance. But i predict they dont make an appearance for the next 6 years!!

Deby downer. lol
I do not think that they will be back there next year but it is crazy to think that they will not have another run at a region crown with the talent coming in.
The Dorton and Virgie Middle School teams are talented, but this title run is something that won't happen again for a long while. And IMO, the 15th is really going to be up for grabs next season.
itzAmazing Wrote:The Dorton and Virgie Middle School teams are talented, but this title run is something that won't happen again for a long while. And IMO, the 15th is really going to be up for grabs next season.

Completely true. I is going to be back to a really competitive region night in and out.
most schools after winning big games experienced kids transfering in to play at that school .Valleys hay days is come to the top and I look for kids to continue to move to that school just to play for those coaches . Sure this is just one group of players but they were winning before Coach Booher . Some of these kids were winners of state championships in middle school .Their middle schools have good coaches. They have a peewee league there that starts their kids young. Rowe was winning and if Booher leaves or goes. That seed will be there for years. Valley looses a lot but new players will come, Through Virgie, Dorton, Millard , Elkhorn, Pikeville or even some other High School or county or state. But those coaches born an raised in the Valley will always be there. And that desire to win will always be with those coaches. Who haved ruled the 15th region in the last 8 years.They have had different players and coaches to win it all in that region.They just know what it takes to win the state now.So a good coach could and its not impossible to be right back there next year. With the boys sitting alot on the bench this year they could still beat most teams around. And put the big kids from their feeder schools and the transfers .They may win it all in the region for years to come.
They will not win the 15th. After losing as much as they did, they'll have to rebuild. Does Betsy Layne return a few players? If they do then they would be one of the favorites.
SV will win the 15th region next year, wait and see, they wil NOT have to rebuild, they are simply reloading. Maybe not with the same caliber of ammunition, but enough to take down anyone in the 15th.
BlueSky Wrote:To lose your 1st 7 players is tough, but they will be OK. They will not be playing for a state championship, but a regional...

Are you including the fact that Zach Ramey may not be there next year? Booher is working on another year of elegibility.
They proabley will never have a special group of players like this again!
i say even though they lose all starters they still have a pretty good run next season
Zach Ramey will probley not get another year. He was homeschooled 1 year and should be a senior but came back as a junior. Thats like holding back in high school. If he gets another year then other kids should start homeschooling just to get another year. I dont see him getting the year he wants.
not like ramey would be the star player next year if he stayed anyway, i think valley will still win the 15th but not many people know about the juniors that will be seniors next year. valleys jv did very well this year so we all will wait and see what happens
no many people don't know about the juniors cause they had so much better talent in front of them. Who the practiced against everyday. So they have gotten better. Next year at valley it should be interesting.
I wonder would is the preseason pick for state champion? I am going to say Clark Co.
Shelby valley return decent players. If zach ramey gets another year, he has potential to be good. He shoots good but he is not a consistent 3 point shooter. He may hit 2 but never in a row. He has defense. That's all he will help with. Trey Roberts, has potential and the work ethic to be a good playmaker. Jacob Robinson, very good set 3 point shooter and if he gets confidence on handling the ball and sees the whole floor, will be a very good PG. Rusty Roberts, he's a very good 3 point shooter and from what I seen in warm ups, can dunk a little. If he handles the ball with confidence and plays hard the talent backs him up. Logan Lucas, just an average point guard. Seen he was working on his shot which will help in the long run. If they get Cody belter, this I the big guy they want. If he gets his strength and learns a couple new moves, once he gets used to stronger players he will be very good. From a reliable source, Brett Reynolds will be playing. If he does, an he plays with the strength he has, he could also help Shelby valley in rebounding. Don't loom for a state title out of this team but look for a region contender.
Mr.Rainman Wrote:Shelby valley return decent players. If zach ramey gets another year, he has potential to be good. He shoots good but he is not a consistent 3 point shooter. He may hit 2 but never in a row. He has defense. That's all he will help with. Trey Roberts, has potential and the work ethic to be a good playmaker. Jacob Robinson, very good set 3 point shooter and if he gets confidence on handling the ball and sees the whole floor, will be a very good PG. Rusty Roberts, he's a very good 3 point shooter and from what I seen in warm ups, can dunk a little. If he handles the ball with confidence and plays hard the talent backs him up. Logan Lucas, just an average point guard. Seen he was working on his shot which will help in the long run. If they get Cody belter, this I the big guy they want. If he gets his strength and learns a couple new moves, once he gets used to stronger players he will be very good. From a reliable source, Brett Reynolds will be playing. If he does, an he plays with the strength he has, he could also help Shelby valley in rebounding. Don't loom for a state title out of this team but look for a region contender.

Completely agree. I think that Valley will be about 4th or 5th in the region.
SV wins because there is a passion for the game that ranges from 9 to 99.
The kids in the Valley are expected to be good. They are expected to win. Go back to pre consolidation and you will see that Dorton got as much of the talent the school had to offer and so did Virgie. I know first hand that in my day when you got on the bus to go play loosing was not an option. It is still that way to day. Teams on next year's schedule will not be as intimidated but they will still know that SV will be prepared, they will play defense, and they will expect to win and make their own legacy.
hypersport Wrote:SV wins because there is a passion for the game that ranges from 9 to 99.
The kids in the Valley are expected to be good. They are expected to win. Go back to pre consolidation and you will see that Dorton got as much of the talent the school had to offer and so did Virgie. I know first hand that in my day when you got on the bus to go play loosing was not an option. It is still that way to day. Teams on next year's schedule will not be as intimidated but they will still know that SV will be prepared, they will play defense, and they will expect to win and make their own legacy.

I think that the biggest factor in next years team will the defense. I think that if the team has picked up on these kinds of defensive schemes, they can really pick up on and be a very strong team in the 15th. As always what is going to be the definition of this team will be the defense.