Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes 50 - Campbell County 48
A team that has one starter from last year and three players, 2 starters and the 6th man, whom all left before the season got underway for the Camels came within a desperation 3 of beating the Bulldogs.

I have touted and supported Holmes all season, but I even as a Camel fan was completely disappointed by the complete lack of respect displayed for the game of basketball tonight. Holmes showed absolutley no interest in being in Alexandria tonight. Their desire was non-existent. To watch them laugh and joke instead of play the game was beyond my belief in this team. They were ten times better, but showed zero interest in proving it.

I'm sure I'm going to see posts on here about Campbell County's 2-3 and Pittman sitting out with foul trouble. That will be bogus if it is used an excuse. Holmes flat out did not come to play.

As a Basketball fan, I loved seeing a game come down to the wire and especially it being my alma-mater with a chance at an upset. But if that last second shot would have went in, I would be the first o say, it would have been no upset, Holmes would have deserved to lose.

Take it for what it's worth, if Holmes does not show more interest that this in the District or Region, they will have to buy tickets to go to Rupp this year.
To be fair Stardust, Camels did light it up from outside tonight which was the difference.

I'll give my recap later, but I agree Holmes looked very disinterested tonight and it finally caught up to them late in the 4th quarter.
kywldcat01 Wrote:To be fair Stardust, Camels did light it up from outside tonight which was the difference.

I'll give my recap later, but I agree Holmes looked very disinterested tonight and it finally caught up to them late in the 4th quarter.

Boy, I sure hope in your recap you are fair in your assessment and don't give credit to the Camels because they lit it up. Wasn't too hard to light it up against a team that had ZERO interest in playing defense. Even I can make uncontested jumpers!
kywldcat01 Wrote:To be fair Stardust, Camels did light it up from outside tonight which was the difference.

when dont they? when do they seem interested oh i can answer that (the games after they lost a game (Holmes loses to Ryle...blow out Cooper and Scott almost lose to NCC, Campbell, Dixie)
Holmes could be the best team in the state, why are they scoring in the 50's?????????
Stardust Wrote:A team that has one starter from last year and three players, 2 starters and the 6th man, whom all left before the season got underway for the Camels came within a desperation 3 of beating the Bulldogs.

I have touted and supported Holmes all season, but I even as a Camel fan was completely disappointed by the complete lack of respect displayed for the game of basketball tonight. Holmes showed absolutley no interest in being in Alexandria tonight. Their desire was non-existent. To watch them laugh and joke instead of play the game was beyond my belief in this team. They were ten times better, but showed zero interest in proving it.

I'm sure I'm going to see posts on here about Campbell County's 2-3 and Pittman sitting out with foul trouble. That will be bogus if it is used an excuse. Holmes flat out did not come to play.

As a Basketball fan, I loved seeing a game come down to the wire and especially it being my alma-mater with a chance at an upset. But if that last second shot would have went in, I would be the first o say, it would have been no upset, Holmes would have deserved to lose.

Take it for what it's worth, if Holmes does not show more interest that this in the District or Region, they will have to buy tickets to go to Rupp this year.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!!....The Exact Same Thing Happen When Ryle Came And Beat Holmes Eariler In The Season As We All Know BUT They Didnt Want To Be In Covington That Night Either They Thought They Could Just Walk In To The Gym and Beat Them By 30...and Ryle Came Out And Punched Them In The Mouth And Holmes Didnt Hit Back!!!...IMO Holmes Plays Down To Their Opponents Untill They Lose Then They Start Playing To Their God-Given Abilities And Beat Teams By 30 And Win State Championships
A little close but congrats Holmes.
Peacedomes85 Wrote:COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!!....The Exact Same Thing Happen When Ryle Came And Beat Holmes Eariler In The Season As We All Know BUT They Didnt Want To Be In Covington That Night Either They Thought They Could Just Walk In To The Gym and Beat Them By 30...and Ryle Came Out And Punched Them In The Mouth And Holmes Didnt Hit Back!!!...IMO Holmes Plays Down To Their Opponents Untill They Lose Then They Start Playing To Their God-Given Abilities And Beat Teams By 30 And Win State Championships

:Thumbs: Good post. Problem is, they have played down to their opponents in more games this year, than they have played to their potential
Judging by Stardust's report, it sounds like Holmes still figures they can just turn it on and turn it off whenever they need to. It didn't bite them tonight, but you wonder when it will.

For their sake, they had better make sure the switch is turned to the "on" position by the time the 9th regional tournament rolls around. Holmes is easily the best team in that region, not to mention one of the top 4-5 teams in the state. But there are a few teams in that region (Newport, NCC, Ryle, Boone, Highlands) that can end their season early if they show up with less than their "A" game.

Congrats Holmes on the win.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
For those who weren't there, this score may be somewhat misleading. Holmes led by 7 or more practically the whole game until the last 2 minutes or so.

First quarter, the game started out with Campbell co shooting two free throws because of a tech called on sophomore Hunter Hoskins for dunking during pregame warms ups while the refs were on the floor. CC made 1 free throw and then Jolly scored on their first possession to give the Camels a 3-0 lead right out the gate. Holmes would close out the quarter on a 14-4 run and led the Camels 14-7 at the end of one.

Second quarter, Holmes scored first on a Slusher lay in down low but CC responded with a 5-0 run to close within 4 at 16-12. J. Johnson then made a 3 and Avery made 1 of 2 free throws to put Holmes back up 8 at 20-12. Both teams then traded baskets before a Wolf 3 pointer closed Holmes lead back to 5 at 22-17. Holmes scored the next 4 points and a Pittman dunk gave Holmes a 26-17 lead. Geiman then scored for CC and we'd head in to the half with Holmes up 7 at 26-19.

Third quarter both teams traded baskets out of the half but a J. Johnson put back gave Holmes a 10 point lead at 32-22. An Elijah Pittman put back gave Holmes a 12 point lead at 34-22 but a Nate McGovney 3 pointer and a Smith jumper pulled the Camels back to within 7 at 34-27. Jaydale Herndon stepped up at the other end though hitting a 3 that keyed a 7-2 run to put Holmes back up 12 at 41-29. Elijah Pittman then picked up his 2nd and 3rd fouls within 10 second of eachother and CC made one of 2 free throws to send the game in to the 4th 41-30, advantage Holmes.

With Pittman in foul trouble, Holmes started the 4th quarter without him and we wouldn't see the big fella again until the 3:51 mark. With Pittman on the bench, CC went on a 5-0 run to start the 4th to close the gap to 41-35 but another Herndon 3 pushed the lead back out to 9 at 44-35. Geiman responded at the other end to close the gap to 44-38 but Holmes scored at the other end to go back up by 8 at 46-38 with 5:04 left. Jolly then keyed a 5-0 run by the Camels to make the score 46-43 with around 4 minutes left. Pittman then came back in the game and Holmes would extend their lead out to 7 at 50-43 with under 3 mins to play. Jolly responded with a big 3 to make it 50-46 and Holmes would call a timeout with 1:11 left. Out of the timeout, Holmes turned the ball over and then after getting a defensive stop at the other end, turned the ball over again on their next possession trying to pass the ball around the perimeter. McGovney then came down and hit a big basket from the free throw line with around 30 seconds to play to cut the lead to 2. Holmes held the ball until the 8 second mark when Ricardo Johnson was finally fouled. Ricardo then missed the front end of a 1 and 1 and here is where things, IMO, turned. JJ got a big offense rebound and as he went to start dribbling the ball out, the ref calls a HORRIBLE LATE call offensive foul and says he went over the back. Camels call a timeout with 7.2 second left and came down and called another timeout with 4 seconds left. Camels set up a play for Smith at the top of the key but his 3 is too strong and Holmes wins 50-48.

Scoring by quarters:

Holmes (19-5)------14-12-15-9--50
Campbell Co (14-8)- 7-12-11-18--48
My thoughts on the game:

1. This score is somewhat misleading. Campbell Co trailed by 7 or more for the majority of the game. They would make mini runs to cut in to the Holmes lead, but the Dogs would push it back out to 8-10 every time. Through 3 1/2 quarters, this game was all Holmes (not domination by any means, but not in question) but poor decision making and lack of intensity late in the game with the ball allowed CC back in the game because of turnovers.

2. Holmes looked good in spurts tonight but their play late in the game left a lot to be desired. Campbell Co hit a few 3's in a row and it seemed almost as if Holmes panicked. Pittman missed two free throws with holmes up 7 and then Ricardo Johnson misses the front end of a one and one with Holmes up 4. They have to do a better job finishing games because if not, good teams will beat them.

3. Campbell Co did a nice job slowing Pittman down tonight. They zoned Holmes the whole game and doubled Pittman anytime the ball was on his size of the floor, which forced him to start playing outside and settle for 3 pointers and jump shots.

4. The Camels offense is VERY BORING to watch but was effective tonight against Holmes. The Dogs perimeter defense was absolutely horrible as they were giving CC wide open looks outside and CC made them pay for not respecting their ability to shoot outside. I believe CC finished with seven 3's.

5. Holmes has to quit playing down to the level of their competition. It was clear from the beginning that Holmes was quicker, more athletic, and much more talented but hard work almost beat them out because a lack of intensity late in the game.

6. For Campbell Co, Nate McGovney is an absolute stud for only being a freshman. He will be the best player in nky his senior year and one of the best in the state IMO. He hit a big shot OVER Ricardo Johnson late in the game and I am still trying to figure out why he didn't play more. Kid is a baller.

Holmes has Conner Tues and Boone Wed. Hopefully they pick things up because if not, both teams will beat them by 10+.
kywldcat01 Wrote:For those who weren't there, this score may be somewhat misleading. Holmes led by 7 or more practically the whole game until the last 2 minutes or so.

I don't care if I was there or not, when the other team has a chance to win it with the final shot, that's what I would consider a "close game". It doesn't matter if Holmes had the game under control for the first 3 1/2 quarters, the fact is Campbell Co. still got close enough to have a chance to win in the end. Nothing misleading about that.

Look, I'm not trying to bash on Holmes. I know as well as you do they are one of the two most talented teams in the state (along with Scott Co.) and are definitely the class of the 9th region. There is no way Campbell Co. should have even had a shot to win this game. But there it was.

Again, it sounds to me like Holmes figures they can just flip the switch come March, and all will be well. And they very well may be able to do that and ride it all the way to the state title. But for their sake, they had better hope that when the time comes (say in a tight game in the regional tournament), that they remember where the on/off switch is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kywldcat01 Wrote:5. Holmes has to quit playing down to the level of their competition. It was clear from the beginning that Holmes was quicker, more athletic, and much more talented but hard work almost beat them out because a lack of intensity late in the game.

Now this I agree with. Holmes is too talented to allow these lesser teams to stay close, let alone have a shot to beat them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Holmes 50 Campbell Co. 48

Holmes 14 12 15 9 50

Campbell Co. 7 12 11 18 48

Holmes (19-5) -- J. Johnson 16, R. Johnson 10, Herndon 8, Pittman 6, Avery 6, Slusher 2, Rice 2.

Campbell Co. (14-8) -- Jolly 15, Smith 13, Gieman 9, McGovney 7, Wolf 3, Cox 1.
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't care if I was there or not, when the other team has a chance to win it with the final shot, that's what I would consider a "close game". It doesn't matter if Holmes had the game under control for the first 3 1/2 quarters, the fact is Campbell Co. still got close enough to have a chance to win in the end. Nothing misleading about that.

Look, I'm not trying to bash on Holmes. I know as well as you do they are one of the two most talented teams in the state (along with Scott Co.) and are definitely the class of the 9th region. There is no way Campbell Co. should have even had a shot to win this game. But there it was.

Again, it sounds to me like Holmes figures they can just flip the switch come March, and all will be well. And they very well may be able to do that and ride it all the way to the state title. But for their sake, they had better hope that when the time comes (say in a tight game in the regional tournament), that they remember where the on/off switch is.

More Cowbell Wrote:Now this I agree with. Holmes is too talented to allow these lesser teams to stay close, let alone have a shot to beat them.

Hey I agree with you...I'm not going to make any excuses for Holmes. Bottom line is, late in the game Campbell Co made plays and Holmes didn't because of a lack of focus and intensity. They figured they had the game wrapped up when they were up 7 with under 2 minutes left and CC didn't quit.

I know Stardust won't agree with me, but not having Pittman on the floor those first 4 minutes of the 4th quarter really did affect the game. Holmes was up 11 with him on the floor and he comes back in and Holmes is up I believe 6. CC continued to ride the momentum and Holmes didn't respond as they cracked under CC's pressure.

Like I said in my last post...Holmes better get things together before Tuesday and Wednesday or they'll lose to Conner and Boone Co. You're hearing it here first.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Like I said in my last post...Holmes better get things together before Tuesday and Wednesday or they'll lose to Conner and Boone Co. You're hearing it here first.

Not sure about Conner, but Boone is definitely good enough to give Holmes a game. It might be a good thing, maybe the higher level of competition will bring out the best in the Bulldogs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sometimes you play to the level of your competition. It's hard to play against a team you know you can blow out of the gym. A performance like this starts with the coach though, he has to have his troops ready at all times.
Grats Holmes.
Aslan Wrote:Sometimes you play to the level of your competition. It's hard to play against a team you know you can blow out of the gym. A performance like this starts with the coach though, he has to have his troops ready at all times.
Grats Holmes.

Sometimes is turning into more than often with this year's Holmes team.
More Cowbell Wrote:Not sure about Conner, but Boone is definitely good enough to give Holmes a game. It might be a good thing, maybe the higher level of competition will bring out the best in the Bulldogs.

It sure had thus far.

Holmes beat Newport by 19 and 10.
Holmes beat Highlands by 11 in a game that they led by as many as 18 and double digits the whole game.
Holmes also beat Memphis Central early in the season...Memphis Central is rated as high as #14 nationally in some polls.

I guess we'll find out Wednesday night.

Aslan Wrote:Sometimes you play to the level of your competition. It's hard to play against a team you know you can blow out of the gym. A performance like this starts with the coach though, he has to have his troops ready at all times.
Grats Holmes.

Coach Henley can only do so much. He has stated time after time in the past that there's going to be February nights that gyms are only half full...it's up to his players to step up to the challenge. Holmes coaching staff does as good of a job as anyone in the state when it comes to preparing the players.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Sometimes is turning into more than often with this year's Holmes team.

It's not just this year's team. Holmes has traditionally done this in the past too late in the season.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Sometimes is turning into more than often with this year's Holmes team.

That may be the case, but I still expect them to win the 9th Region and make a good run down at Rupp.

I suppose if was a Holmes fan, these close calls would make me a little antsy. But as an outsider looking in, I think when the games really matter they'll be able to flip the switch and get it done.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I heard the same thing last year and who was State Champs :argue:. Holmes better get there butts in gear, they will not hang with anybody down state if the only score 50-60 points. What part of this don't we understand, NKY slows the ball down so bad it makes the games like they are, low scoring, stall ball period. :please: The Bulldogs are not as good as last year less Riley and Dom. Johnson. But I will guarantee they will be back at RUPP!!! :1:
I absolutely thought that Holmes would dominate this game. Campbell Co. should not have even been in this game. Maybe Holmes isn't as good as I thought they were. Missing Riley, Johnson and Housley seems like a nonreplaceable loss. The way they have played this entire year proves that.

I'm starting to think they may not make it out of the 9th Region this year. I don't think they have a true leader on the team; they are letting to many teams just hang around, this will eventually bite them in the rear.

There was a lot of talk about how Avery transferring to Holmes this year was going to really help Holmes and that he was going to be an instant impact player but from what I've seen so far this season that has not come to fruition.

The lack of a point guard on this team will be their demise. Holmes will not repeat this year. They will be lucky to win the 9th.
goodguy Wrote:I absolutely thought that Holmes would dominate this game. Campbell Co. should not have even been in this game. Maybe Holmes isn't as good as I thought they were. Missing Riley, Johnson and Housley seems like a nonreplaceable loss. The way they have played this entire year proves that.

I'm starting to think they may not make it out of the 9th Region this year. I don't think they have a true leader on the team; they are letting to many teams just hang around, this will eventually bite them in the rear.

There was a lot of talk about how Avery transferring to Holmes this year was going to really help Holmes and that he was going to be an instant impact player but from what I've seen so far this season that has not come to fruition.

The lack of a point guard on this team will be their demise. Holmes will not repeat this year. They will be lucky to win the 9th.

The win over Memphis Central earlier in the year shows that Holmes is definetly a team that is as good as they've been touted. Central has been rated as high as #14 in the country in some polls.

Their problem is simply losing focus and not being consistent with their intensity. It seems almost as if they're bored out there.

I guess it's just me having hope and being a homer, but I feel like once tourament time gets here, you'll see them turn it on and crank things up. Henley has a way of getting these kids focused when it actually matters.

But then again, I could be wrong and maybe you're right. Only time will tell.
holmes has went down since lastyear.
You can spin this game any way you want it, Holmes was complacent and played far from being a top team in the state. I spent the day with Holmes Varsity baseball coach today and he and I discussed the attitude of these players and the in-season games. This teams shows little respect in games that mean nothing to them. Last nights game was a perfect example of that. Nothing was on the line, so the Dogs gave less than a desirable effort and it drives Henley nuts.

I am not knocking Holmes because I don't like them. Anyone that has seen me post about them has been very complimentary of their athletes and their capability of being the best team in the state. But I have also said many times this team has no leadership, and that was clearly indicative. Rico can take over a game anytime he wants. Last night, he could have cared less IMO. He scored 10 points against competition in which he could have poured in as many as he wanted, 10 was all he wanted.

Against Boone, they could easily lose that game if they take the attitude they had last night. Holmes fans can only hope that the Dogs come out with a chip on their shoulder from last years loss to the Rebels in the regular season.
kywldcat01 Wrote:The win over Memphis Central earlier in the year shows that Holmes is definetly a team that is as good as they've been touted. Central has been rated as high as #14 in the country in some polls.

Their problem is simply losing focus and not being consistent with their intensity. It seems almost as if they're bored out there.

I guess it's just me having hope and being a homer, but I feel like once tourament time gets here, you'll see them turn it on and crank things up. Henley has a way of getting these kids focused when it actually matters.

But then again, I could be wrong and maybe you're right. Only time will tell.

Hmm, Henley sure looked like he was trying to find a way last night!
kywldcat01 Wrote:I guess it's just me having hope and being a homer, but I feel like once tourament time gets here, you'll see them turn it on and crank things up. Henley has a way of getting these kids focused when it actually matters.

You finally got something right. And earlier in the thread you said you weren't making excusing for Holmes.

That is ALL you do for them when they play a mediocre team close.

Face it, this team is not that good, and they will NOT be at Rupp playing in the Sweet 16.
kywldcat01 Wrote:It sure had thus far.

Holmes beat Newport by 19 and 10.
Holmes beat Highlands by 11 in a game that they led by as many as 18 and double digits the whole game.
Holmes also beat Memphis Central early in the season...Memphis Central is rated as high as #14 nationally in some polls.

I guess we'll find out Wednesday night.

Coach Henley can only do so much. He has stated time after time in the past that there's going to be February nights that gyms are only half full...it's up to his players to step up to the challenge. Holmes coaching staff does as good of a job as anyone in the state when it comes to preparing the players.

I see. Well when the players are not focused or play with no intensity, that falls back on the coach.
Uncle Fester Wrote:You finally got something right. And earlier in the thread you said you weren't making excusing for Holmes.

That is ALL you do for them when they play a mediocre team close.

Face it, this team is not that good, and they will NOT be at Rupp playing in the Sweet 16.

:thatsfunn

Not that good?? They're 19-5 and own a win over Memphis Central who is ranked as high as #14 in the country in some polls.

Their credentials speak for themselves. BTW, people have said they wouldn't be playing at Rupp the past two years...how did that work out again? Confusedhh: