Poll: Who Wins???
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Holmes
80.00%
Bowman Academy, IN
20.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes vs. Bowman Academy, IN 12/5
thoughts/predictions???

6:30 pm

@ Marshall County - Marshall County Hoopfest
Holmes by 8
Any info on Bowman?
Bowman Academy
City: Gary, Ind.
Enrollment: 1,300
Nickname: Eagles

Not many high school coaches can say this: "We're bringing back our entire team this year," Bowman Academy A.D. and boys basketball coach Marvin Rea said. "Our school, from a high school perspective, this is our fourth year. So this is our first graduating class in the history of the school." Bowman Academy went 19-4 last season and returns several Division I prospects, including 6-1 guard Tyrae Robinson, 6-4 forward Chris Bond and 6-5 forward DeJuan Marrero.

Marrero is rated the best prospect in Indiana for the c/o 2012 and already holds offers from Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State, and Illinois. He averaged 17 ppg and 13 rpg last year as a freshman and recorded a triple double as well during the season.

"DeJuan is what I call a throwback player," Rea said. "A lot of the kids these days are caught up on the flashy moves and the highlights. DeJuan is a hard-working player. You're not going to find a kid at his age that's going to play harder than he is. He's going to go after it."

Link
Should be a very exciting game. Don't know enough about Bowman to make a prediction, but best of luck to the Bulldogs!
I can tell you this, if Holmes comes out and plays a half of basketball like they did the first half against Beechwood they my very well get ran out of the gym. However I think Henley will make the adjustments necessary, and on the big stage we have seen Eli and Rico step up before and I have no reason to believe this will be any different. This team thrives on the spot light so in a tourny like the Marshall Co hoopfest, and against a team from out of state I think you are going to get a complete game of quality basketball from the Bulldogs. Lets hope so at least...
Boys basketball, 2009-10 Bowman Eagles

Last season: 19-4, lost in regional championship to Triton.

Inside the Eagles

Leading returning scorer: Tyrae Robinson, 16 ppg.

Leading returning rebounder: DeJuan Marrero, 13 rpg.

Go-to player: Christopher Bond, Sr., F. His 2008-09 averages of 14.5 ppg and 12 rpg explain why coach Marvin Rea calls him "Mr. Double-Double." "He can give you double figures in both rebounds and points without the plays being designed for him," Rea said. "He creates mismatches because of his size and speed."

He's got next: Cylk Joseph, Sr., G. He suffered a thumb injury that derailed his junior season, but he's fully recovered now. He's also a respected leader.

Circled on the calendar: Dec. 5, vs. Covington Holmes. The Eagles face the defending Kentucky state champion in Marshall County's Hoopfest, an elite showcase in Benton, Ky.

The Times' breakdown

Bowman has the talent, depth and hunger, especially after last year's bitter regional loss, to win a state title in 2010. Rea, however, knows his team will need to endure a rocky road along the way. "Although we are returning our entire team, this will be a challenging season," he said. "Our strength of schedule should be considered second to no one in the state." Bowman must weather the beginning of its season without starting senior point guard Nick Moore, who's out for an undetermined amount of time with a high-ankle sprain he suffered during the football season. Still, with its first year of IHSAA tournament play under its belt, Bowman is poised for postseason glory. "I think our team's biggest strength is maturity and team chemistry," Rea said. "People talk about our speed, they talk about our athleticism, but I think our team chemistry is a definite advantage for us." -- Nate Ulrich

Why do you love basketball?

"Basketball is like a tool for the real world. It teaches you all the interpersonal skills that you'll have to utilize in the real world. I think that's what I really love." -- Marvin Rea

Roster

Probable starters

Name Ht. Yr. Pos.

Tyrae Robinson 6-1 Sr. G
Nick Moore 5-11 Sr. G
Floyd Hoskin III 6-3 Sr. F
Christopher Bond 6-4 Sr. F
DeJuan Marrero 6-5 So. C

In reserve

Name Ht. Yr. Pos.

Aaron Ishmon 6-0 Sr. F
Michael Ford 6-4 So. F
Kendall Dawson 5-11 Sr. G
Daron Gamble 6-1 Sr. F
KeVan Ford 5-11 Sr. G
Cylk Joseph 5-11 Sr. G
Devante Butts 6-3 Sr. F
Elijah Ray 6-5 So. F
Kameran Madison 5-11 Sr. G
Robert Hudson 6-4 Sr. C

Link
Match ups:

6'3 Demetrius Avery v 6'1 Tyrae Robinson
6'3 Willie Slusher v 5'11 Cylk Joseph
6'5 Ricardo Johnson v 6'4 Chris Bond
6'5 Jeremiah Johnson v 6'3 Floyd Hoskin
6'8 Elijah Pittman v 6'5 Dejaun Marrero
mahb7878 Wrote:I can tell you this, if Holmes comes out and plays a half of basketball like they did the first half against Beechwood they my very well get ran out of the gym. However I think Henley will make the adjustments necessary, and on the big stage we have seen Eli and Rico step up before and I have no reason to believe this will be any different. This team thrives on the spot light so in a tourny like the Marshall Co hoopfest, and against a team from out of state I think you are going to get a complete game of quality basketball from the Bulldogs. Lets hope so at least...

I agree they have to come out and play better than they did in the first half against Beechwood, but Henley will make the proper adjustments and get them ready. I don't think coach H will use as many kids in this game as he did against Beechwood. I think Mayfield, Hayes, and Rice will be the only players to see time.

With that said, I expect Rico, Eli, and JJ to really step it up in this game. Eli and Rico, as you said, both thrive under bright lights and absolutely dominated last year against Largo, MD so I expect the same this year. Looking at Bowman's starting lineup, I could see Holmes size causing the smaller Eagles' to have some problems.

Add even more fuel to the fire that Bowman has a kid rated in the top 100 for his class (6'5 Marrero) and I expect Pittman to play even more focused.

It won't be a blow out, but I like the Dogs in this one.

Holmes- 68
Bowman- 55
Homles by 7 if they come to play!
I believe Bowman will win it. Tyrae is extremely quick and has a very nice range. DeJuan is athletic and loves defense. Bowman is deep also. C.Bond will get Bowman buckets in the clutch, Bowman is the favorite to win state in the 1A division. I believe Bowman will win by 15.
i'll take holmes
What do you think about Bowman's performance tonight?
will anyone be providing updates for this game?
MikeJenkins Wrote:What do you think about Bowman's performance tonight?

Not sure about the stats of all the players but Pittman flat out shut Marrero down. I believe Pittman had 12 points in the first half alone while Marrero finished with maybe 7 or 8 points?