3. Somerset
4. Lawrence County
5. Corbin
6. Belfry
7. Letcher Central
8. Pulaski County
9. Whitley County
10. Johnson Central
Prestonsburg at #2 is a little far fetched IMO! I think 6 out of the Top 10 teams would beat them. But I guess it is about wins and losses instead. For instance, Johnson Central at 10, lol. They should be Top 4 but has had a BRUTAL SCHEDULE....Anyways ,time shall tell soon how good alot of us are..GO LETCHER CENTRAL!
I am a Belfry fan and JC just beat us on our home field.......DUH.......:please:
bucslover68 Wrote:I am a Belfry fan and JC just beat us on our home field.......DUH.......:please:

If one ever needs a little knee slapper to help keep the day going. One can always refer to the WYMT Mountain Top 10.
bucslover68 Wrote:I am a Belfry fan and JC just beat us on our home field.......DUH.......:please:

i am with you bucslover,i think the way jc is playing right now there numb 2,they would beat p-burg by couple tds
:biggrin:
cuppett777 Wrote:i am with you bucslover,i think the way jc is playing right now there numb 2,they would beat p-burg by couple tds

No doubt. No disrespect to Pburg, but their lack of size along the line would be nightmarish against the EAGLES. IMO, which isn't much, here is my top 10 based on how teams are playing right now.

1.Bell County

2.Johnson Central
3.Prestonsburg
4.Somerset
4.Corbin
5.Lawrence County
5.Belfry
7.Whitley County
7.Letcher Central
9.Pulaski County
10. Harlan County
10. Breathitt County
The new MOUNTAIN TOP TWELVE:biggrin:
has blackcat lost it to have belfry above j.c. after getting bet by j.c. at home .just makes you go hum........
15reg35 Wrote:has blackcat lost it to have belfry above j.c. after getting bet by j.c. at home .just makes you go hum........

He was just reposting the WYMT poll.
1. Bell
2. Pburg
3. Johnson Central
4. Lawrence County
5. Somerset
6. Belfry
7. Letcher Central
8. Corbin
9. Whitley County
10. Harlan County
EKUAlum05 Wrote:1. Bell
2. Pburg
3. Johnson Central
4. Lawrence County
5. Somerset
6. Belfry
7. Letcher Central
8. Corbin
9. Whitley County
10. Harlan County

Nice poll EKU. I threw Breathitt County in mine because I didn't want Brahma Bull and BobcatinPowell to feel left out. J/K guys.:biggrin:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:1. Bell
2. Pburg
3. Johnson Central
4. Lawrence County
5. Somerset
6. Belfry
7. Letcher Central
8. Corbin
9. Whitley County
10. Harlan County

I'll go with this based on my own opinion alone.
1. Bell
2. Prestonsburg
3. Johson Central
4. Belfry
5. Somerset
6. Corbin
7. Lawrence Co.
8. Whitley Co.
9. Letcher Central
10. Harlan Co.
I think you have to consider a few more teams that could be deserving to be in the final few spots of the mtn. top ten as well.
cuppett777 Wrote:i am with you bucslover,i think the way jc is playing right now there numb 2,they would beat p-burg by couple tds

I think you (and bucslover68) may be guilty of assuming "every team except YOURS remains the same" through the season (Varney did tally >80 yds in ONE quarter vs. the Eagles - not exactly a shutdown).

But JC is a good team and has earned a LOT of respect (at least from THIS member) with the way they picked themselves up. I believe a Central/P-burg game would have been a GREAT shootout at the end of the year.

Prestonsburg is 3 scores better now than at the beginning of the season. I say that because the run game is jelling for the Blackcats. The short/intermediate passing game has remained consistantly good all season. But now to play the run, defenses may become susceptible over the top (and we all know how much Coach D. likes to throw deep)...
oneijoe Wrote:I think you (and bucslover68) may be guilty of assuming "every team except YOURS remains the same" through the season (Varney did tally >80 yds in ONE quarter vs. the Eagles - not exactly a shutdown).

But JC is a good team and has earned a LOT of respect (at least from THIS member) with the way they picked themselves up. I believe a Central/P-burg game would have been a GREAT shootout at the end of the year.

Prestonsburg is 3 scores better now than at the beginning of the season. I say that because the run game is jelling for the Blackcats. The short/intermediate passing game has remained consistantly good all season. But now to play the run, defenses may become susceptible over the top (and we all know how much Coach D. likes to throw deep)...

Great point about the run game gelling. This proves a couple of points I made at the beginning of the year. Pburg's Oline had a total lack of experience coming into this season. One player, Zak Key, had any meaningful PT on the O line. Alex Griffith was a converted TE, Alex Garner was a backup last year as a freshman, and Trevor Stovall and Chris Cook didn't hardly touch the field last year. Now the talent has always been there for this group, but the experience wasn't. At the beginning of the year, we threw the ball most of the time, not only because we have players with the skill set to play that style of offense, but also because pass blocking is definitely easier for your O linemen. Pburg began the year 80 %run and 20% pass, all the while getting game experience and improvement from their young O line. Now, as the linemen have matured, gotten experience, and improved, the ratio is coming back to a more balanced number. Heck, over the last couple of games, we have RAN the ball more than passed. It is not a coincidence that this emphasis on establishing the run has coincided with the increasing experience of the Blackcat line.

Now, going into the playoffs, Prestonsburg is a much more balanced team, capable of throwing it all over the field, but also capable of establishing the run. Like oneijoe said, we are at least 3 TD's better than at the start of the year. All teams have, or should have, improved, but in Prestonsburg's case, their improvement has been in the running game, which makes them awfully difficult to defend against, considering how Burchett can air it out.

I agree, JC should be #2. WYMT does an excellent job covering the games, but I think the Mountain Top Ten tries to spread around the differnt classes and areas to keep the viewership up.
oneijoe Wrote:I think you (and bucslover68) may be guilty of assuming "every team except YOURS remains the same" through the season (Varney did tally >80 yds in ONE quarter vs. the Eagles - not exactly a shutdown).

I have seen Pburg at the first of the year, and at the middle of the season, in person. They have improved, but they still are not a big, or what people traditionally consider a real physical, team. They do not beat you with power, they beat you with quickness and execution. Their overall offense is a beauty to watch because it is precise and effective throwing and running the ball. Their running game has improved, but JC is power and more power with a good dose of athleticism from JK Hall. IMO, JC is two touchdowns better than PBurg. I base this on JC's ability to just line it up and run it down your/our throat. But if you factor in the Eagles' affinity for fumbling the football, well...... That is just my opinion. Teams like Belfry and JC "had" to improve more than teams like Pburg, because they had so much more improving to do. I didn't really get what the reference to Varney had to do with the post. If you can clarify, I would appreciate it. Hey oneeye, you hurt my feelings by saying that we may be guilty "of assuming every team except YOURS remains the same." :biggrin: All teams improve. Pburg was just so far ahead in the passing game the first week. That is what gave them the big advantage over Belfry. Once Belfry had a couple of quarters, and a halftime, to adjust, they really held their own against the Pburg offense. Pburg had a running game that night for the first half, and Belfry adjusted to the jet sweeps after halftime. No one has even addressed the fact that Belfry had not even settled on a QB until earlier that week. Thomas Varney had taken most of the snaps in the preseason and had been at the throttle in 4 of the 5 offensive drives Belfry had in their scrimmage against Hazard. I am sure that Haywood is happy he returned Thomas to the RB position. Also, Belfry had no fully implemented the "THOMCAT" formation, run by Varney, that has given quite a few teams headaches. I look at Belfry and Pburg as two equally talented teams. I would favor each on their home turf, and on a neutral field, it would be a classic.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Prestonsburg at #2 is a little far fetched IMO! I think 6 out of the Top 10 teams would beat them. But I guess it is about wins and losses instead. For instance, Johnson Central at 10, lol. They should be Top 4 but has had a BRUTAL SCHEDULE....Anyways ,time shall tell soon how good alot of us are..GO LETCHER CENTRAL!

Too far-fetched? How?

- They are undefeated.
- They've beaten the likes of Belfry, Breathitt County, Sheldon Clark, and Shelby Valley.
- How can you put an undefeated team behind a team that has lost four games?

I agree that Johnson Central should be much higher than ten though. I really think it would be a good game and a tossup as to who would win the game if Prestonsburg were to play Johnson Central.

As for your Letcher Central Cougars, now that's one 5A school that Prestonsburg would have not much of a problem with. :Thumbs:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:If one ever needs a little knee slapper to help keep the day going. One can always refer to the WYMT Mountain Top 10.
agreed!!!
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Too far-fetched? How?

- They are undefeated.
- They've beaten the likes of Belfry, Breathitt County, Sheldon Clark, and Shelby Valley.

I agree that Johnson Central should be much higher than ten though. I really think it would be a good game and a tossup as to who would win the game if Prestonsburg were to play Johnson Central.

As for your Letcher Central Cougars, now that's one 5A school that Prestonsburg would have not much of a problem with. :Thumbs:

JC could have a much better record if they had not played a tough schedule. JC has seen much better competion than P Burg and would not have any problems with them. That is what makes this ranking such a farce, alot of the teams that have great records and ranked high have not played tough competition. The tough schedule will pay off for JC down the playoff run. JC is easy the #2 team in the mountians now.
MonsterMan Wrote:JC could have a much better record if they had not played a tough schedule. JC has seen much better competion than P Burg and would not have any problems with them. That is what makes this ranking such a farce, alot of the teams that have great records and ranked high have not played tough competition. The tough schedule will pay off for JC down the playoff run. JC is easy the #2 team in the mountians now.

You are saying that since Johnson Central is playing hot right now then they could beat Prestonsburg "with no problems"? You do realize Prestonsburg beat Sheldon Clark who beat Johnson Central, right? Both Johnson Central and Prestonsburg beat Belfry, so that argument doesn't matter either.

I think it would be a classic game between the two myself. At the beginning of the season, Prestonsburg would have beaten the Eagles by two or three touchdowns. I understand that Johnson Central played an extremely tough schedule. But, they have a couple losses on their schedule to teams that they should have beaten (i.e. Sheldon Clark). Since the Eagles are playing like no one thought they ever would right now, I believe they could make it a barn burner against the Blackcats if they were to play. Hall and Jude are running all over teams right now. However, Burchett is the best quarterback in EKY and the Mountains and the Blackcats have a well balanced attack with Burchett throwing and McKinney and Craynon running. Burchett can now beat teams with his legs as well.

With all of that said, I don't understand how you can say that the Eagles could beat the Blackcats "no problem".

Still yet, it doesn't matter. These two teams are not going to play, so no fair comparison can be made.
MonsterMan Wrote:JC could have a much better record if they had not played a tough schedule. JC has seen much better competion than P Burg and would not have any problems with them.
Yeah, Johnson Central would not have a problem beating anyone that Prestonsburg has played.

Signed,
Sheldon Clark
Well MonsterMan, looks like ODM43 and BCF4L already took care of you. :biggrin:
Lawrence County should be ranked in front of Prestonsburg
SV71 Wrote:Lawrence County should be ranked in front of Prestonsburg
Based on what? The watered down schedule that Lawrence Co. has played?
BCF4L Wrote:Based on what? The watered down schedule that Lawrence Co. has played?

I would guess he is basing it on the large margin that the 'Dawgs beat the 'Cats earlier in the season, as compared to the relatively close game between Pburg and SV. These type of comparisons have some validity, but many times you cannot go by "we beat them, and they beat them, so we are better than them" thinking. These games were several weeks apart, and you have to factor in the emotion of a big district game as well.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Well MonsterMan, looks like ODM43 and BCF4L already took care of you. :biggrin:

All points are true but have no bearing on today. I still say Prestonsburg has not seen a team of JC's caliper they way they are playing now. Big difference playing 5A and 2A ball every week. P burg has a vey good 2a team.

The early loses hurt JC rankings and they were not playing good and the victory of SC was a gift they way they were playing, but SC showed up and toke the gift. JC played throguh their loses and came out swinging. The tough schedule has prepared them. We are in the present now and games behind us mean nothing, it is how you are playing now and the talent you have and in my opinion JC is better. I have not been taken care off, posters are trying to justify their team by either who plays for them or who they have beat, not really how good they are. Time will tell the story and I am confident JC's will be a good story.

There is no way schools from 1A to 5A can be compared in the same poll.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Too far-fetched? How?

- They are undefeated.

Would love to have played you guys. That would be a great game, but I think the cougars would have won. Wonder if we can schedule that game next year?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
MonsterMan Wrote:All points are true but have no bearing on today. I still say Prestonsburg has not seen a team of JC's caliper they way they are playing now. Big difference playing 5A and 2A ball every week. P burg has a vey good 2a team.

The early loses hurt JC rankings and they were not playing good and the victory of SC was a gift they way they were playing, but SC showed up and toke the gift. JC played throguh their loses and came out swinging. The tough schedule has prepared them. We are in the present now and games behind us mean nothing, it is how you are playing now and the talent you have and in my opinion JC is better. I have not been taken care off, posters are trying to justify their team by either who plays for them or who they have beat, not really how good they are. Time will tell the story and I am confident JC's will be a good story.

There is no way schools from 1A to 5A can be compared in the same poll.

Actually my post included how well balanced of an offense Prestonsburg has and the fact that they have the best quarterback in the Mountains. I did also include in my argument the teams each have played, but isn't that part of how good a team is - who they've beaten?

Like I said though, it doesn't matter how good Johnson Central is compared to Prestonsburg because they do not play this season. No fair opinion/comparison can be assessed.
They only defense in EKY that can stop or slow down Prestonsburg's offense IMO, is Bell County. And I'm sure Prestonsburg could put up a few touchdowns on them. But we could have beaten Belfry by more than the one touchdown, but we started to play conservative football and running the jet sweep until it was 3rd & long and then we went back to throwing and got the 1st down. Against Sheldon Clark, I believe we where 2-3 touchdowns better than on a dry field, but unfortunately it was a tsunami and it forced us to run the ball more. Versus Shelby Valley, our play caller (off. coordinator) didn't call the plays in that game as he did every other game as he missed the entire week leading up to that game with an illness and we still won against a very good team.

Now as for Prestonsburg's chances versus Lawrence County or Johnson Central. We may have not played a team with as strong as a running game as either team, but they also haven't faced a team that can move the ball as well as Prestonsburg through the air. I think that LC/JC could melt the clock versus Prestonsburg, but we usually score within' 5-6 plays on a drive and only taking 2-3 minutes off the clock. Our defense hasn't been great against the run all season, but as some have said before, "they bend, but they won't break". They always make a stop or force a turnover. I think it would have been a great game between either LC or JC this season.

JMO
Honestly, why is there so much hate for Pburg!
We have played a tough non-conference schedule, and still managed to win with just 28-32 guys.