•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Girls OVC middle school
Some OVC schools made a good showing at Rowan County's one day tournament yesterday. Both Rowan teams picked up wins over Morgan CO. Verity's 7th and 8th grade both defeated Johnson Central. Russell's 8th grade defeated East 8th in OT. East 8th went on to win the losers bracket after the loss to Russell by defeating Morgan and then beat Johnson Cent. 36-28. East 7th grade defeated Bracken Co. 40-20. Then defeated Verity 33-24 the Foutch girl was out with an ankle sprain. Then East defeated Bath Co. to win the 7th grade championship.
verity 7th grade really impressed me Sat in the tourney at rowan. Despite having the worse draw, and being short handed ( foutch was out with a sprained ankle) they were able to win thier first two games easily. After the second game the girls were rushed to the middle school to have to play back to back against a well rested and talented East Carter team. The girls fought hard. They went into the half tied and into the 4th down only 1. The lead was only 1 with 3 min left when you could see the verity girls just run out of gas. Hensley played hard and steady while Robinson's "D" kept them close.
i agree the ovc represented very well sat. showing there is some good game around are area, especially e.carter and verity. yeah the brackets were a little mixed up, not knowing what the east bath score was however personally east and verity should have been on different sides of the brackets to get a true championship game, instead ofin the semi finals. verity sure missed the fouche girl but she'll be back for conference games and verity should pick up where they left off. the 8th grade will also be back in the gym to get things ironed out looking towards winning the ovc. congrats to all teams
Talk to the Hand Wrote:Me is glad to hear dat your team is improvin', howbeit dat it is, maybe da head coach should try some of my sweet pancake syrup to sweetin him up a little and quit pullin kids off da court and goin home. You'ins never goin get da calls on da road.

Are you an idiot?
bluegrass nation Wrote:i agree the ovc represented very well sat. showing there is some good game around are area, especially e.carter and verity. yeah the brackets were a little mixed up, not knowing what the east bath score was however personally east and verity should have been on different sides of the brackets to get a true championship game, instead ofin the semi finals. verity sure missed the fouche girl but she'll be back for conference games and verity should pick up where they left off. the 8th grade will also be back in the gym to get things ironed out looking towards winning the ovc. congrats to all teams

I heard the 8th grade games were filled with turnovers and bad shots. If this is the case coach Foutch just might have to play some of those 7th graders to help or to get there attention. I know the last time I saw them play it was painful to watch at times.
IMO 7th grade team did great considering the circumstances, bad bracket draw and starter out with an injury. All players had huge contributions to make up for Foutch being out Meade had 3 3's in the first game, and Gransbery easily had a triple-double in the 2nd game against Montgomery County and Hensley was a beast in the east carter game.

Very proud of them all:Cheerlead
Does the OVC tourney start in a couple of weeks? Also heard the Rose Hill will not have middle school team in the OVC? Can anyone confirm either of these questions.
When does Verity, Boyd and RH play again?
Ashland Diomedes Wrote:Does the OVC tourney start in a couple of weeks? Also heard the Rose Hill will not have middle school team in the OVC? Can anyone confirm either of these questions.

That is the boys season they will not have a team in the conference.
TomcatAtHeart Wrote:When does Verity, Boyd and RH play again?

They play this week Verity plays Boyd, RhH this week and the finishes up with East Next Tues. Oct. 6. Tournament is Oct. 10-17.
TomcatAtHeart Wrote:When does Verity, Boyd and RH play again?

Verity 8th beat Russell. It was a hard fought game. Thankfully some of the seventh graders were there to help and boy did they need them. Im still seeing the same old thing from a couple of girls. Poor shot selection, poor defense and decision making. I would keep these three in the starting line up.
Ashley
Vanover
Young
I would add these 7th graders to the line up.
Robinson
Gransberry
This is just my opinion, until some of the others girls get the picture.
MaroonMafia Wrote:Verity 8th beat Russell. It was a hard fought game. Thankfully some of the seventh graders were there to help and boy did they need them. Im still seeing the same old thing from a couple of girls. Poor shot selection, poor defense and decision making. I would keep these three in the starting line up.
Ashley
Vanover
Young
Robinson
Gransberry
What was the score with Verity 8th and Russell?
MaroonMafia Wrote:Verity 8th beat Russell. It was a hard fought game. Thankfully some of the seventh graders were there to help and boy did they need them. Im still seeing the same old thing from a couple of girls. Poor shot selection, poor defense and decision making. I would keep these three in the starting line up.
Ashley
Vanover
Young
Robinson
Gransberry

Agree, That would be a real nice 5. Those two 7th graders made huge contributions to the verity win. I think the score was 41 to 31.
Maroon Truth Wrote:Agree, That would be a real nice 5. Those two 7th graders made huge contributions to the verity win. I think the score was 41 to 31.

Boy there is a lot of Truth to that. I don't see them making any changes, but it looks great. I was told that Vanover, Young and Ashley were in foul trouble all night.
16BBall Fan Wrote:They play this week Verity plays Boyd, RhH this week and the finishes up with East Next Tues. Oct. 6. Tournament is Oct. 10-17.

Verity 7th & 8th grade simply dominated Boyd Co. Didnt see any of the 7th grade. But in the 8th grade game Ashley and Vanover dominated the boards. I would say both were in double digits in points. Young did a good job running point and see the whole floor really well. Its the best ive seen the 8th grade all season. Nice job girls on being OVC reg season champs.
Maroon Truth Wrote:Agree, That would be a real nice 5. Those two 7th graders made huge contributions to the verity win. I think the score was 41 to 31.
Who is Ashley? Is that Justice?
MaroonMafia Wrote:Verity 7th & 8th grade simply dominated Boyd Co. Didnt see any of the 7th grade. But in the 8th grade game Ashley and Vanover dominated the boards. I would say both were in double digits in points. Young did a good job running point and see the whole floor really well. Its the best ive seen the 8th grade all season. Nice job girls on being OVC reg season champs.
I agree that this is the best "team play" the 8th has shown all season. Hope they gel in time for the tournament. Good game tonite girls.
AshlandFan Wrote:Boy there is a lot of Truth to that. I don't see them making any changes, but it looks great. I was told that Vanover, Young and Ashley were in foul trouble all night.
it does seem like all three of them get lots of fouls but gotta commend their aggressive style. Good players.
Seventh grade game never in doubt against Boyd. Solid defense against Fraley makes points hard to come by for BC.Verity's fun to watch at the seventh grade level with their ability to execute with any of their players in the game. Not common at that age to have that many players with that much ability.

Which brings us to the eighth grade game. Verity, (Justice, Vanover,Young) looked solid as they should have all year. They played like they were in the seventh grade again. The difference in last nights game was a player got into early foul trouble and Young had to be moved to point guard, the position she played for this team last year. Her passing gave her teammates several easy looks at the basket and gave Verity a much better flow in the game. My question is why has the ball been taken out of her hands so much this season?

Another issue to consider for the eighth grade team that hasn't been mentioned, I don't believe, is the fact that they are missing Morgan Day, their starting 2 guard from last year. (Hurt her knee in AAU season) She is amazingly fast and plays great defense which accounted for two or three layups per game. Doesn't sound significant but she was turned loose early in games, leads were built because of defense and things just "looked" much smoother.
violet Wrote:Who is Ashley? Is that Justice?

I believe so.
MaroonMafia Wrote:Verity 7th & 8th grade simply dominated Boyd Co. Didnt see any of the 7th grade. But in the 8th grade game Ashley and Vanover dominated the boards. I would say both were in double digits in points. Young did a good job running point and see the whole floor really well. Its the best ive seen the 8th grade all season. Nice job girls on being OVC reg season champs.

Have to agree with above. Boyd just needs a couple more girls in each class, size would help alot. Verity player to player were on the avg. about 4-5 inches taller both games. A huge advantage when you just shoot until you put it in the basket. Boyd looked good in spots just ran up against a much better team in both games, size wise an athleticism. Waiting on the growth spurt for Boyd kids and they will be fine. Very impressed with Verity, Boyd has alot of room for improvement so if they work at it they will be OK. Look forward to seeing this matchup in a couple of years.
violet Wrote:Who is Ashley? Is that Justice?

Yes, Brett Ashley Justice
Kitten MaMa Wrote:Seventh grade game never in doubt against Boyd. Solid defense against Fraley makes points hard to come by for BC.Verity's fun to watch at the seventh grade level with their ability to execute with any of their players in the game. Not common at that age to have that many players with that much ability.

Which brings us to the eighth grade game. Verity, (Justice, Vanover,Young) looked solid as they should have all year. They played like they were in the seventh grade again. The difference in last nights game was a player got into early foul trouble and Young had to be moved to point guard, the position she played for this team last year. Her passing gave her teammates several easy looks at the basket and gave Verity a much better flow in the game. My question is why has the ball been taken out of her hands so much this season?

Another issue to consider for the eighth grade team that hasn't been mentioned, I don't believe, is the fact that they are missing Morgan Day, their starting 2 guard from last year. (Hurt her knee in AAU season) She is amazingly fast and plays great defense which accounted for two or three layups per game. Doesn't sound significant but she was turned loose early in games, leads were built because of defense and things just "looked" much smoother.

Agree, Morgan is missed out there.
I realize this is very exciting time for parents and these young girls at Verity. They have alot to be proud of. But also realize the "stars" of the current team may have peaked, will lose interest or stop playing because of all the pressure parents put on them. Let these girls enjoy this time, realize that there are other girls on the bench who may have potential (Connor for the Kittens spent most of her 7th grade season on the bench and she is now the only D-1 prospect for the Kittens). So my advice to you is to relax and enjoy this time, because believe me it goes by very quickly.
kittennation Wrote:I realize this is very exciting time for parents and these young girls at Verity. They have alot to be proud of. But also realize the "stars" of the current team may have peaked, will lose interest or stop playing because of all the pressure parents put on them. Let these girls enjoy this time, realize that there are other girls on the bench who may have potential (Connor for the Kittens spent most of her 7th grade season on the bench and she is now the only D-1 prospect for the Kittens). So my advice to you is to relax and enjoy this time, because believe me it goes by very quickly.

kittennation, what are you angry about? Is your daughter sitting the bench at Verity? There is no need for concern about these young girls or "stars" . I can tell you that my young girl has not peaked nor does she endure so much pressure from her parents that she will give basketball up. We have had long conversations about her future and basketball is her dream, not mine. My "star" works hard because she wants to, not because we force her to. Believe me when I tell you that I am enjoying this time, every minute of it ...... So don't you worry, my "star" will be just fine.
Maroon MaMa Wrote:kittennation, what are you angry about? Is your daughter sitting the bench at Verity? There is no need for concern about these young girls or "stars" . I can tell you that my young girl has not peaked nor does she endure so much pressure from her parents that she will give basketball up. We have had long conversations about her future and basketball is her dream, not mine. My "star" works hard because she wants to, not because we force her to. Believe me when I tell you that I am enjoying this time, every minute of it ...... So don't you worry, my "star" will be just fine.

I believe I struck a nerve. I am not an angry parent. Believe me when I say I no longer have a dog in this fight. Just some unsolicited advice based on the comments in this thread. Take it or leave it. Good luck in the post season. I look forward to seeing these girls play in the future.
:pirategir:pirategir
Maroon MaMa Wrote:kittennation, what are you angry about? Is your daughter sitting the bench at Verity? There is no need for concern about these young girls or "stars" . I can tell you that my young girl has not peaked nor does she endure so much pressure from her parents that she will give basketball up. We have had long conversations about her future and basketball is her dream, not mine. My "star" works hard because she wants to, not because we force her to. Believe me when I tell you that I am enjoying this time, every minute of it ...... So don't you worry, my "star" will be just fine.
kittennation Wrote:I realize this is very exciting time for parents and these young girls at Verity. They have alot to be proud of. But also realize the "stars" of the current team may have peaked, will lose interest or stop playing because of all the pressure parents put on them. Let these girls enjoy this time, realize that there are other girls on the bench who may have potential (Connor for the Kittens spent most of her 7th grade season on the bench and she is now the only D-1 prospect for the Kittens). So my advice to you is to relax and enjoy this time, because believe me it goes by very quickly.
I have one who spends her share of time on the bench, but she is a team player. She is not close to peaking. Hopefully she will mature into a starter next year. In the meantime, lets support our starters by encouraging them. I hope they "peak" in the tournament.
MaroonMafia Wrote:Agree, Morgan is missed out there.
Hope Morgan keeps her interest in bb. She used to sit with the team but lately I haven't seen her anywhere near. Agree she has speed and talent but also a lot of heart. Very aggressive player. Hope she keeps the interest alive.
kittennation Wrote:I believe I struck a nerve. I am not an angry parent. Believe me when I say I no longer have a dog in this fight. Just some unsolicited advice based on the comments in this thread. Take it or leave it. Good luck in the post season. I look forward to seeing these girls play in the future.

Even if a couple peak early, a couple transfer, and two or more become stars in other sports, does not matter much. With the girls who are now freshmen mixed with just the few "stars" that remain Ashland has alot to look foward to. If you knew these girls, you would realize thier passion and thier desire to be great. This is not forced for the most part, Just some kids who are hard working bunch. I have never seen 3 classes in a row with so much talent and they all deserve the praise in this thread.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next