Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is truly the best baseball player ever?
Who in your opinion is TRULY the greatest 5 tool baseball player, to ever play the game? The 5 tools being: Speed, Hit for average, Hit for power, Defense, and Throwing ability.
Willie Mays
All Around no doubt Willie Mays..
Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb
Willie Mays
Hank Aaron
Walter Johnson

IMO
Willie Mays, and if we r thinking current how about Griffey jr. Has the numbers and played the D back in the day, plus he's clean????
Babe Ruth. At or near the top of every offensive category in history. And may well be the greatest pitcher of all time. If his pitching would have everaged out, he would have been the long time leader in every pitching category in baseball.
:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Babe Ruth. At or near the top of every offensive category in history. And may well be the greatest pitcher of all time. If his pitching would have everaged out, he would have been the long time leader in every pitching category in baseball.
Stardust Wrote:Babe Ruth. At or near the top of every offensive category in history. And may well be the greatest pitcher of all time. If his pitching would have everaged out, he would have been the long time leader in every pitching category in baseball.

The question asked specified that he was looking for a 5 tool player, which would disqualify Ruth, because of the speed requirement. Truely I can only think of a category that would include maybe only Aaron, Mays,Clemente, Bonds and maybe if it were not tainted Canseco. Should we consider ARod?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb
Willie Mays
Hank Aaron
Walter Johnson

IMO

Uh, did you not read the criteria that was stated? Looking for 5 tool players, which would eliminate Ty Cobb because of the power requirements. Ruth would be eliminated because of the speed requirement . Did you not know that Walter Johnson was a pitcher? Walter Johnson would not even qualify for discussion because he would meet zero requirements as far as having any of the tools needed to put him in this category. Aaron and Mayes however are legitimate candidates.
Willie mays,or babe ruth I cant decide
Pond creek nation Wrote:Willie mays,or babe ruth I cant decide

I guess nobody has read what is being asked.
Your right 15thHeat..How about Ken Griffy Jr.? Would he not fit the profile being asked? He would more than fit in with the Aaron/ Mays category of players.

How about Joe Morgan? What are the thoughts on him? Would arm strength disqualify him? He had reasonable (not great) power, great defense, great speed, and could hit for average.
Honus Wagner
Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Shoeless Joe Jackson
Hank Aaron
I would take Mickey Mantle. He had all five tools plus a switch hitter. May have been the fastest from home to first from the left side as well.
Ted Williams was pretty solid...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

:1:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
most of your speedy guys play 2nd or outfield, your can get power and avg. out in the outfield too. their throwing ability i guess you'll just look at their assists. as far as being one of the best albert pujols will definitely be mentioned. some others could be bonds but what kind of a arm did he have. he stole alot of bases. mcgwire not so much. mays, shoeless joe, mantle, manny ramirez(fastest guy ever)lol
Ricky Henderson.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Uh, did you not read the criteria that was stated? Looking for 5 tool players, which would eliminate Ty Cobb because of the power requirements. Ruth would be eliminated because of the speed requirement . Did you not know that Walter Johnson was a pitcher? Walter Johnson would not even qualify for discussion because he would meet zero requirements as far as having any of the tools needed to put him in this category. Aaron and Mayes however are legitimate candidates.

Ty Master Yoda
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Ty Master Yoda

Your welcome, grasshoppa!!!!

Stick to the political threads.. Well, on second thought...................lets not do that either. Haha

j/k
alfus21 Wrote::1:

Come on Alfus, you know enough about baseball to know what 5 tool means. Very disapointed in ya.:biggrin:

I will agree that The Babe is the best all around to ever play IMO, but that is not what the question was.
Come on guys, we've got knowledgeable baseball people not getting this. I know that Dusty knows this stuff inside and out...... Wildcat??, ......naw!!!! j/k again
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:I would take Mickey Mantle. He had all five tools plus a switch hitter. May have been the fastest from home to first from the left side as well.

Good nominee.:Thumbs:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Your welcome, grasshoppa!!!!

Stick to the political threads.. Well, on second thought...................lets not do that either. Haha

j/k

Im not a baseball fan, just searched a website for greatest baseball players ever, should have payed more attention i guess, politics? just something that anybody can argue about, best friends anybody doesnt matter
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Ted Williams was pretty solid...
Another possibility.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Im not a baseball fan, just searched a website for greatest baseball players ever, should have payed more attention i guess, politics? just something that anybody can argue about, best friends anybody doesnt matter

Ah, your pulling our chains , right?

Still funnin.:biggrin:
beasy_bo Wrote:most of your speedy guys play 2nd or outfield, your can get power and avg. out in the outfield too. their throwing ability i guess you'll just look at their assists. as far as being one of the best albert pujols will definitely be mentioned. some others could be bonds but what kind of a arm did he have. he stole alot of bases. mcgwire not so much. mays, shoeless joe, mantle, manny ramirez(fastest guy ever)lol
Except for behind the plate, generally anywhere up the middle. Quickness is about as important in the middle infield as what pure speed is. There is a very big difference.
some people might not like this but you have to mention Pete Rose. The greatest hitter to ever play and probably the hardest working baseball player ever
Crazy Horse Wrote:some people might not like this but you have to mention Pete Rose. The greatest hitter to ever play and probably the hardest working baseball player ever
Again where are the 5 tools? :igiveup:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Ah, your pulling our chains , right?

Still funnin.:biggrin:

thats why im here, :thatsfunn
Pete Rose's Five Tools. (BTW, Pete Rose is my favorite Baseball player of all-time)

1-Speed
2-Hitting (Duhh)
3-Hustle
4-Gambler
5-Great Manager

Big Grin