Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry Pirate Practice - Any Reports From Day 1?
joethegreek Wrote:I haven't seen Belfry practice this is pure speculation, but I don't expect Belfry to line up in the traditional wishbone plenty of speed lacking the traditional power. I believe that we will see a different wrinkle this year to the offense. Again I am purely speculating

yeah thats what I heard from a VERY RELIABLE source the spreed could be in place should be interesting the last time a Belfry team went pass heavy was when Johnathan Wright was QB some one correct me if im wrong...Kind of scary though I love to watch Belfry footall but if mind also serves me right that was the worst season Belfry has had under Haywood...
I think they lost in the 3rd round Wright's Soph/Junior/Senior years.
Even if they run the spread, don't you guys think it will be the WVU style 80% run?
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:yeah thats what I heard from a VERY RELIABLE source the spreed could be in place should be interesting the last time a Belfry team went pass heavy was when Johnathan Wright was QB some one correct me if im wrong...Kind of scary though I love to watch Belfry footall but if mind also serves me right that was the worst season Belfry has had under Haywood...

You're a little off on this one.

First, just because it is the spread doesn't mean Belfry will be passing the ball all over the field Wink

Secondly, Wright's Senior season was the only time Belfry beat Ironton (Ironton went on to be State Runner-Ups that year). The Pirates had IMO the 3rd best team in 3A that year behind Highlands and CovCath (who were on another level) but that was the season that sheldon Clark pulled a miracle upset in the Regional Finals. That Belfry team was good enough to win state in most other years.
Belfry actually got beat in the second round that year by Breathitt Co. and not Sheldon Clark.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...9/?id=5837
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You're a little off on this one.

First, just because it is the spread doesn't mean Belfry will be passing the ball all over the field Wink

Secondly, Wright's Senior season was the only time Belfry beat Ironton (Ironton went on to be State Runner-Ups that year). The Pirates had IMO the 3rd best team in 3A that year behind Highlands and CovCath (who were on another level) but that was the season that sheldon Clark pulled a miracle upset in the Regional Finals. That Belfry team was good enough to win state in most other years.

I am thinking about 2000 who was the QB that year because that season they stuck with alot of the same passing game and regular season was 6-4 I think...I mean belry is belfry just know that in 2000 they threw the ball quite a bit ran more of a "pro style" offense if you will. rushed for over 2K and threw for around 1500 if my mind serves me right.

But thanks for clearing things up EKU i was only like 11 or 12 at that point in time so I cant remember much about them just saw a couple of games by them back then.

Well that is true as well they may not pass it all over the field however I think youll see alot of slip screens by them ALOT of option similar to the offense Pike Central ran with Quirvon Merchant at QB. JMO though. Im excited to see it though because this will really make a wrinkle in the season lol.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:yeah thats what I heard from a VERY RELIABLE source the spreed could be in place should be interesting the last time a Belfry team went pass heavy was when Johnathan Wright was QB some one correct me if im wrong...Kind of scary though I love to watch Belfry footall but if mind also serves me right that was the worst season Belfry has had under Haywood...
What is Johnathan Wright doing these days?
Don Carlo Wrote:What is Johnathan Wright doing these days?

Working and helping out with football @ Belfry....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I am thinking about 2000 who was the QB that year because that season they stuck with alot of the same passing game and regular season was 6-4 I think...I mean belry is belfry just know that in 2000 they threw the ball quite a bit ran more of a "pro style" offense if you will. rushed for over 2K and threw for around 1500 if my mind serves me right.

But thanks for clearing things up EKU i was only like 11 or 12 at that point in time so I cant remember much about them just saw a couple of games by them back then.

Well that is true as well they may not pass it all over the field however I think youll see alot of slip screens by them ALOT of option similar to the offense Pike Central ran with Quirvon Merchant at QB. JMO though. Im excited to see it though because this will really make a wrinkle in the season lol.

My guess is you are thinking of Casey Lequire. Belfry was about 50/50 run to pass that season and sadly their season came to an end on a VERY controversial phantom TD call at Breathitt Allen Sperry's Senior season. Belfry was leading late on the road in Jackson when Breathitt won on a last second TD. The replay on WYMT clearly showed the receiver never had control of the ball until he was about 4 feet out of bounds. Didn't really matter too much as noone was going to get past Boyle County that season.

Casey is now an Assistant head coach at Belfry and IMO will one day be a head coach somewhere. He was a good QB but had alot of shoulder injuries which hampered him.
As for Belfry running the spread option I am torn as to my prediction of how this will turn out. From a personnell standpoint it is brilliant. The Pirates have 4 oustanding HB's returning but they are all "speed" backs.

Varney is as versatile of a threat as nearly anyone in the state. The kid can run, pass, catch, block, play DB, and kick. He is clearly the Pirate's best weapon and IMO the 2nd best RB in the mountains returning behind Fugate. Getting the ball in his hands every posession is a very wise decision, especially with an unproven QB returning and the lack of a FB.

Chase Maynard has the potential to be a superstar and is IMO on the verge of a huge season. Lovern and Carroll also would start at HB over the majority of other RB's in the state, and Lovern has experience at the WR position. Throw in the fact Corey Charles has became a sure handed receiver and the line will be vastly inexperienced and much smaller than last year and seems like a perfect fit. My guess would be to use Varney as the QB with a split backfield of Carroll and Maynard. Trot out Lovern and Charles at the receiver spots. This would also allow the opportunity to use Lovern on reverses and bubble screens so Belfry can let him make plays with his speed and agility.

My biggest concerns though are:
1) The read option isn't about balancing carries (something Haywood is notorious for out his wishbone), it is about reading the defense's reaction and the QB making the decision. If Belfry tries to give Thomas 12 carries, Chase 12 carries, Lovern 8 carries, and Carroll 8 carries every game they will be aking away from the essence of what makes this offense work. This isn't a huge concern as I have more faith in Haywood and their staff to let this happen, but it is tangible.

2) Spreading the defense certainly will loosen the box up, but at the same time if Belfry cannot establish an effective passing game with multiple targets this will be nullified. Pass blocking in recent years has been attrocious. The zone read is not predicated on quick passes, it is predicated on play action and freezing defenders with the threat of the run. If the line cannot gve time for play action to develop (which has been the case against better defenses recently) Varney will be a sitting duck and defenses will start stacking the line more and more.

3) Belfry plays Iron Man football. The wishbone allows the defense the least ammount of time on the field because Belfry may very well milk an entire quarter with their drive. With the wishbone if Belfry wasn't clicking on offense and had a 3 and out (penalties, needing to make adjustments, etc) then they still would milk 3 minutes off the clock with their posession. With this offense Belfry may only milk a minute. The Pirates have been able to demoralize teams in the 4th Quarter thanks to their grinding offense, this may take away from that. Belfry's defense is usually sound, but alot of that is due to the fact that the Pirates may have some major flaws and weaknesses that they can easily mask by limited posessions in the course of a game. When you know you may only have the ball 6 or 7 times it forces a coach to playcall more agressively and get away from probing Belfry to uncover their weaknesses and mismatches.

4) The shotgun snap, increase in passes, and longer time on the handoffs could spel for more turnovers. Ball control will be ESSENTIAL. Belfry has fumbled alot in recent years due to the progressions of the belly and taking the football in and out of the back's chest. In the zone read a QB may keep the ball in the back's chest for a full two seconds before making his decision.

All in all I think that this could be the best way for Belfry to go. Pirate fans better be ready though. This offense will have a substantial learning curve for these kids and the Pirate's schedule is LOADED. Belfry may take their lumps throughout the regular season.
Well thought out post as always EKU.

I think for Hawyood to consider this points out a couple things. He has concerns about the o-line and fullback position. That wisbone is hard pressed to work without a high quality fullback to block AND run the football. That guy may not exist for this years squad.

Hopefully they will find a way to use the speed they have. If T. Varney can throw the ball pretty well, could be fun to watch. Like you, I think there good be SERIOUS execution issues though. Hard to go from wishbone to spread in 4 weeks.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:As for Belfry running the spread option I am torn as to my prediction of how this will turn out. From a personnell standpoint it is brilliant. The Pirates have 4 oustanding HB's returning but they are all "speed" backs.

Varney is as versatile of a threat as nearly anyone in the state. The kid can run, pass, catch, block, play DB, and kick. He is clearly the Pirate's best weapon and IMO the 2nd best RB in the mountains returning behind Fugate. Getting the ball in his hands every posession is a very wise decision, especially with an unproven QB returning and the lack of a FB.

Chase Maynard has the potential to be a superstar and is IMO on the verge of a huge season. Lovern and Carroll also would start at HB over the majority of other RB's in the state, and Lovern has experience at the WR position. Throw in the fact Corey Charles has became a sure handed receiver and the line will be vastly inexperienced and much smaller than last year and seems like a perfect fit. My guess would be to use Varney as the QB with a split backfield of Carroll and Maynard. Trot out Lovern and Charles at the receiver spots. This would also allow the opportunity to use Lovern on reverses and bubble screens so Belfry can let him make plays with his speed and agility.

My biggest concerns though are:
1) The read option isn't about balancing carries (something Haywood is notorious for out his wishbone), it is about reading the defense's reaction and the QB making the decision. If Belfry tries to give Thomas 12 carries, Chase 12 carries, Lovern 8 carries, and Carroll 8 carries every game they will be aking away from the essence of what makes this offense work. This isn't a huge concern as I have more faith in Haywood and their staff to let this happen, but it is tangible.

2) Spreading the defense certainly will loosen the box up, but at the same time if Belfry cannot establish an effective passing game with multiple targets this will be nullified. Pass blocking in recent years has been attrocious. The zone read is not predicated on quick passes, it is predicated on play action and freezing defenders with the threat of the run. If the line cannot gve time for play action to develop (which has been the case against better defenses recently) Varney will be a sitting duck and defenses will start stacking the line more and more.

3) Belfry plays Iron Man football. The wishbone allows the defense the least ammount of time on the field because Belfry may very well milk an entire quarter with their drive. With the wishbone if Belfry wasn't clicking on offense and had a 3 and out (penalties, needing to make adjustments, etc) then they still would milk 3 minutes off the clock with their posession. With this offense Belfry may only milk a minute. The Pirates have been able to demoralize teams in the 4th Quarter thanks to their grinding offense, this may take away from that. Belfry's defense is usually sound, but alot of that is due to the fact that the Pirates may have some major flaws and weaknesses that they can easily mask by limited posessions in the course of a game. When you know you may only have the ball 6 or 7 times it forces a coach to playcall more agressively and get away from probing Belfry to uncover their weaknesses and mismatches.

4) The shotgun snap, increase in passes, and longer time on the handoffs could spel for more turnovers. Ball control will be ESSENTIAL. Belfry has fumbled alot in recent years due to the progressions of the belly and taking the football in and out of the back's chest. In the zone read a QB may keep the ball in the back's chest for a full two seconds before making his decision.

All in all I think that this could be the best way for Belfry to go. Pirate fans better be ready though. This offense will have a substantial learning curve for these kids and the Pirate's schedule is LOADED. Belfry may take their lumps throughout the regular season.

I agree with everything you said there. But the fact of the matter is your opinion dont mean anything if the line cant block. If they run a spread offense and pass more often then, Belfry will have to devolep their linemen better. Down blocking, traping/pulling, double-teaming are great things in the bone...Things there used too. But in a shotgun spread offense that will rarely be used. A great example of going too a smashmouth type offense to a spread type offense is East Ridge last season. not saying Belfry will be like East Ridge, but you can get what im saying. Anyways good luck Belfry and Coach Haywood. I know if anyone can pull this off its Haywood and his Pirates!
Ahhhhhh....... 2 a days... practice, practice, practice.....

(you boys gettin the hint???)..... LOL... Smile

EKUAlum05 Wrote:You're a little off on this one.

Your mixed up.
Belfry did beat Ironton Jonathan's senior season, but Belfry couldn't have been the 3rd best team in 3A, because they were in 2A in 1999. His senior year Belfry lost in the 2nd round to Breathitt Co. @ Vipperman (47-42) behind Allen Sperry's 570 passing yards that game. Your thinking about Jonathan's junior year (1998) when Belfry was upset in the regional finals in overtime to Sheldon Clark, who they dominated earlier in the season. They were beaten by Ironton that year by like 3 touchdowns. They were a good team that year, but I'm not sure I would have called them the 3rd best team in 3A, with the likes of Ryle & Bowling Green in that class that year as well.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Your mixed up.
Belfry did beat Ironton Jonathan's senior season, but Belfry couldn't have been the 3rd best team in 3A, because they were in 2A in 1999. His senior year Belfry lost in the 2nd round to Breathitt Co. @ Vipperman (47-42) behind Allen Sperry's 570 passing yards that game. Your thinking about Jonathan's junior year (1998) when Belfry was upset in the regional finals in overtime to Sheldon Clark, who they dominated earlier in the season. They were beaten by Ironton that year by like 3 touchdowns. They were a good team that year, but I'm not sure I would have called them the 3rd best team in 3A, with the likes of Ryle & Bowling Green in that class that year as well.

I was... it was Wright's Junior year when they beat Ironton. That year Highlands and CovCath were on a different level then anyone else in 3A, Sheldon Clark played Highlands tough, but they were blown out as well for all intensive purposes. Highlands went on to beat either Waggener or Owensboro by a score of like 56-0 that season.

The first year in 2A (Wright's Senior season) Belfry definately dropped a bit in talent.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Well thought out post as always EKU.

I think for Hawyood to consider this points out a couple things. He has concerns about the o-line and fullback position. That wisbone is hard pressed to work without a high quality fullback to block AND run the football. That guy may not exist for this years squad.

Hopefully they will find a way to use the speed they have. If T. Varney can throw the ball pretty well, could be fun to watch. Like you, I think there good be SERIOUS execution issues though. Hard to go from wishbone to spread in 4 weeks.

they could use the ruyon kid at full back
they started today in pads
Only shoulder pads...Not full pads as of yet... Maybe this evening though... they have the required amount of practice in so they could???

cuppett777 Wrote:they could use the ruyon kid at full back

:Thumbs: Yep, sure could!!

cuppett777 Wrote:they could use the ruyon kid at full back

I think the staff knows they need him the most at LB though and would rather spend this year focusing on one position so he can maximize hi improvement. The kid is going to be one of Belfry's best LB'ers in recent memory by his Senior season (which says something)IMO if he continues to develop, work hard, and invests the time in summer at developmental camps.
Maybe I'm stupid, I really probably am, but I feel like we could see alot of players just playing one side of the ball this year. Then again - I might be wrong.

As far as the Spread Offense, it's something I've studied for a long time. As an Ohio State fan, I've actually tried to figure out ways to stop it. It's tough. Let me analyze it, it might be common sense, but here I go.

Should Belfry put 5 speedy guys on the field with decent hands. To name a few capable - Chase, Nathan, Timmy, Gary, and a realm of possibilities for the 5th. Here's defenses options.

- Establish a zone defense.

- Play man, allow linebackers or safeties to cover extra receivers.

- Bring in extra defensive backs to guard the five wide-set.

However, there's something a good spread offense can do to beat either of these 3 techniques.

- Find holes in the zone and run and pass through them for all they're worth.

- Use the speedier receivers/converted halfbacks to outrun the not as fast linebackers and safeties, make quick cuts easily losing them and getting open for passes - OR - should they be keeping up they'd have trouble, so the Quarterback can run with the ball and get solid chunks of yardage.

- The chances are, the other 3 defensive backs aren't starting for a reason, mix and match to make mismatches and use raw talent to destroy the not-as-good defensive backs.

What makes the spread offense so hard to defend is the way you have to account for 5 receivers and a speedy quarterback. Say you take 5 receivers down field, 5 of your 11 men are covering receivers, commonly, 4/5 of them are on the line blitzing to the quarterback. This leaves only 1 or 2 free men to protect against both the pass and the run. If the quarterback goes where they aren't, those receivers block/The QB makes those 5 guys covering miss, big plays can come all night. The same goes with 4 receivers down field, add in one extra player to guard both run/pass or blitz, however the quarterback can hand off, run the option, run himself, or pass.

The spread option thrives from being multi-dimensional. If a defense is shutting it down one way, there's more options to go to, that can open the shut down option right back up when the other begins to work.

How do you defend the spread? Solid safeties and coverage - everyone else on the field should be fast. Speed kills in a spread offense game. Anyone quick can catch up to the quick running quarterbacks, fast halfbacks, and breakaway receivers. The catch is, muscular power players like Belfry's can bull over one of these guys, one after another. Attempt to wrap up the guy and allow your teammates to wrap up. Four fast players are as strong as one fast strong Belfry player.

But it's not as easy as I make it sound. Some schools won't have the depth to stack up and lose to the spread. Some will, but the surprise element will kill them. It all depends what happens on the field. In the end, if ran correctly, teams could be baffled for hours on Friday Nights and leave the CAM not battered, bruised, and hit hard, but outran, confused, and outcoached.
Belfry and Pikeville will definitely have new identities this year on offense. Should make for an interesting matchup at CAM.
phs1986 Wrote:Only shoulder pads...Not full pads as of yet... Maybe this evening though... they have the required amount of practice in so they could???

he didnt tell me that,lol just said they was in pads,lol
Panther Thunder Wrote:Belfry and Pikeville will definitely have new identities this year on offense. Should make for an interesting matchup at CAM.

belfry should still win thaat game by couple tds
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I think the staff knows they need him the most at LB though and would rather spend this year focusing on one position so he can maximize hi improvement. The kid is going to be one of Belfry's best LB'ers in recent memory by his Senior season (which says something)IMO if he continues to develop, work hard, and invests the time in summer at developmental camps.

I agree with what your saying completely, just wanted to agree with cuppett that the kid is a versatile player who is able to be played in different positions. There are quite a few kids that haven't been mentioned on here that are going to make an impact on football this year at Pond Creek. BUT, it's going to be a total team effort... UNITY... They will work as one, compete as one, and prepare as one..... They are gettin ready!!! Smile

phs1986 Wrote:I agree with what your saying completely, just wanted to agree with cuppett that the kid is a versatile player who is able to be played in different positions. There are quite a few kids that haven't been mentioned on here that are going to make an impact on football this year at Pond Creek. BUT, it's going to be a total team effort... UNITY... They will work as one, compete as one, and prepare as one..... They are gettin ready!!! Smile

well said,no i in team
TongueirateShoTongueirateSho
Belfry0304 Wrote:Maybe I'm stupid, I really probably am, but I feel like we could see alot of players just playing one side of the ball this year. Then again - I might be wrong.

As far as the Spread Offense, it's something I've studied for a long time. As an Ohio State fan, I've actually tried to figure out ways to stop it. It's tough. Let me analyze it, it might be common sense, but here I go.

Should Belfry put 5 speedy guys on the field with decent hands. To name a few capable - Chase, Nathan, Timmy, Gary, and a realm of possibilities for the 5th. Here's defenses options.

- Establish a zone defense.

- Play man, allow linebackers or safeties to cover extra receivers.

- Bring in extra defensive backs to guard the five wide-set.

However, there's something a good spread offense can do to beat either of these 3 techniques.

- Find holes in the zone and run and pass through them for all they're worth.

- Use the speedier receivers/converted halfbacks to outrun the not as fast linebackers and safeties, make quick cuts easily losing them and getting open for passes - OR - should they be keeping up they'd have trouble, so the Quarterback can run with the ball and get solid chunks of yardage.

- The chances are, the other 3 defensive backs aren't starting for a reason, mix and match to make mismatches and use raw talent to destroy the not-as-good defensive backs.

What makes the spread offense so hard to defend is the way you have to account for 5 receivers and a speedy quarterback. Say you take 5 receivers down field, 5 of your 11 men are covering receivers, commonly, 4/5 of them are on the line blitzing to the quarterback. This leaves only 1 or 2 free men to protect against both the pass and the run. If the quarterback goes where they aren't, those receivers block/The QB makes those 5 guys covering miss, big plays can come all night. The same goes with 4 receivers down field, add in one extra player to guard both run/pass or blitz, however the quarterback can hand off, run the option, run himself, or pass.

The spread option thrives from being multi-dimensional. If a defense is shutting it down one way, there's more options to go to, that can open the shut down option right back up when the other begins to work.

How do you defend the spread? Solid safeties and coverage - everyone else on the field should be fast. Speed kills in a spread offense game. Anyone quick can catch up to the quick running quarterbacks, fast halfbacks, and breakaway receivers. The catch is, muscular power players like Belfry's can bull over one of these guys, one after another. Attempt to wrap up the guy and allow your teammates to wrap up. Four fast players are as strong as one fast strong Belfry player.

But it's not as easy as I make it sound. Some schools won't have the depth to stack up and lose to the spread. Some will, but the surprise element will kill them. It all depends what happens on the field. In the end, if ran correctly, teams could be baffled for hours on Friday Nights and leave the CAM not battered, bruised, and hit hard, but outran, confused, and outcoached.
TongueirateShoI am so proud of you!!!...lol..Should have taken the sports writing job...heheheTongueirateSho
Lots of skill kids who have some abilty. If they all buy in and are willing to be team guys, success will follow.

Hopefully the big boys who get no glory are ready to put in work. They are, and always have been, what makes Belfry football.

Enjoy it guys! Work hard and have a blast!
I am excited to see what Belfry will have this year as i prepare to watch the scrimmage game with hazard on august the 14th.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Lots of skill kids who have some abilty. If they all buy in and are willing to be team guys, success will follow.

Hopefully the big boys who get no glory are ready to put in work. They are, and always have been, what makes Belfry football.

Enjoy it guys! Work hard and have a blast!
Very well said! There is no "I" in team! These boys have a lot of heart and are willing to put forth the effort! My son wears practice bruises and scratches home with him as I am ver sure others are too!:Cheerlead