Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Players Ever in 14th Region
Who do you consider as some of the best girls basketball players in 14th region history. I have listed 20 players who I feel would be in this category. They are listed in no certain order.

Kristy Combs - M.C. Napier
Jody Sizemore - Leslie County
Brigette Combs - Whitesburg
Polly Sebastian - Perry Central
Kellie Stamper - Knott Central
Tiphanie Bates - Whitesburg
Casi Mullins- Galloway - Knott Central
Lee etta Cummings - Dilce Combs
Tracy Ison - Whitesburg
Candi Fannin - Hazard
Debra Oden - Jenkins
Hillary Swisher - Whitesburg
Carolyn Alexander - Hazard
Angel Stevens - Breathitt Co
Peggy Moore - Buckhorn
Kristy Sexton - Jenkins
Amanda Baker - Whitesburg
Charlotte Sizemore - Hazard
Irene Moore - Breathitt Co
Brandi Baker - Whitesburg
The old 53rd had a monopoly on girls talent in the late 80's and early 90's. I would add Christy Freeman Christy Sexton and courtney Myers from Jenkins. Kris Harlow, Christine Sexton, Mel Sturgill, Beth Kincer, Heather Watko from Fleming Neon. I think for several years in a row like 6-7 the 53rd produced the regional champs, and several of those years the 1,2, and 3 team was WHS, FNHS, & JHS
tiffany bates!!!
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Who do you consider as some of the best girls basketball players in 14th region history. I have listed 20 players who I feel would be in this category. They are listed in no certain order.

Tracy Ison - Whitesburg
Candi Fannin - Hazard
Debra Oden - Jenkins
Peggy Moore - Buckhorn
Kristy Sexton - Jenkins
Great list.
cheeseforme Wrote:The old 53rd had a monopoly on girls talent in the late 80's and early 90's. I would add Christy Freeman Christy Sexton and courtney Myers from Jenkins. Kris Harlow, Christine Sexton, Mel Sturgill, Beth Kincer, Heather Watko from Fleming Neon. I think for several years in a row like 6-7 the 53rd produced the regional champs, and several of those years the 1,2, and 3 team was WHS, FNHS, & JHS

great post, along with christine sexton, you had caroline harlow,monek johnson,wendy seals, tammy quillen, those are just some from neon, that were good players, in the 80s.........:Thumbs:
cheeseforme Wrote:The old 53rd had a monopoly on girls talent in the late 80's and early 90's. I would add Christy Freeman Christy Sexton and courtney Myers from Jenkins. Kris Harlow, Christine Sexton, Mel Sturgill, Beth Kincer, Heather Watko from Fleming Neon. I think for several years in a row like 6-7 the 53rd produced the regional champs, and several of those years the 1,2, and 3 team was WHS, FNHS, & JHS

These were good players also. You are exactly right. Whitesburg or Fleming-Neon won the region in 1983, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993. Whitesburg was regional runner up in 1989, 1990, 1994. Most of these teams were ranked in the top ten in the state and there was times that Whitesburg was ranked number #1. Jenkins and Fleming-Neon took turns winning the All A region in the early nineties.
Other good Whitesburg players in the eighties was Thelma Witt, Pam Nelson, Regina Holbrook, Stephanie Potter, Sandy Luther, Beth Banks, Suzette Sturgill. In the nineties, you had Lisa Wilcox, Betty Noble, Alicia Combs, Johnette Collins, Denney Breeding, Carolyn Potter, Trish Henson, Jessica Yonts, Tennille Blair, Valerie Wynn, Felicia Isom, Stefani Slone, Melissa Anderson, Necha Combs, and Kelly Spangler. After 2000, you had Chastity Fox, Afton Blair, Ashley Stidham, Cassie Whitaker, Whitney Hogg, and Camille Cook.
I'd say Peggy Gay (Moore) is the best to player in the 14th ever. In both boys and girls.
#21 * KRISTI SEXTON

PG As a senior took over the point guard position midseason ... played in 29 games and started 18 ... dished out 97 assists with a career-high of eight against Furman and Georgia Southern ... Ilth in career assists with 190 ... fourth on the team in steals with 2910th in career steals with 136 As a junior ... played in all 29 games, starting 13averaged 7.8 ppg and 3.0 rpg scored 16 points against Morehead State for herseason high ... best shooting game came against Radford University where she went 5-for-10 ... third on the team in assists with 31 and free throw percentage at 76.0 % ... As a sophomore ... limited to 16 games due to a hand injury ... averaged 9.8 points and 3.1 rebounds per game ... was third on team in steals with 37 and. added 26 assists ... scored a season high 17 points against James Madison ... double digit scoring in eight games ... twice had eight rebounds in a game (versus Furman and Appalachian State) ... As a freshman ... saw time in 26 games ... scored six points in nine minutes against Southern Illinois ... shot .681 from the free throw line ... had 12 points against Radford and 11 points in the win over Robert Morris ... had a then career-high of four steals against ETSU ... picked up first career start against Georgia Southern and responded with 22 points and career-high 1 1 rebounds... had career high 28 points in the win over Davidson ... also career-high and team leading seven steals against Davidson ... hit five three-pointers versus Davidson tying a school-record, since broken, for three-point field goals in a gamePrior to Marshall ... averaged 18.6 points, 6.0 rebounds, and 5.5 assists per gameearned four letters in basketball at Jenkins High School'... is the all-tim.e leadingscorer in Jenkinsl history (2,294) ... during her senior year, named All-District, Honorable Mention All-State and was a member of the Eastern Kentucky All-Stars ... was high schoolls team MVP and Best Defensive Player ... was the schoolls Outstanding Female Athlete in 1.91 and 192 ... Personal ... born May 27,1975 ... parents are Mr. and Mrs. Brenton Sexton ... major is criminal justice.
Bluecat Wrote:I'd say Peggy Gay (Moore) is the best to player in the 14th ever. In both boys and girls.

She may have been but the competition was weaker back then. Kristie Combs from M.C. Napier was as good a shooter as I have ever seen and that was when the 14th region had two or three teams in the top ten in the state and she also won a state title. Brigette Combs from Whitesburg was also outstanding. She was Miss Basketball in 1985 and had a successful career at powerhouse Western Kentucky University which included playing in the NCAA final four in 1986. In her Sophomore year, Whitesburg made it to the state finals losing in a close one to a Clemette Haskins led Warren Central team.
Kristi Combs MC Napier
Polly Sebastion PCC
Charolette Sizemore Hazard
Irene Moore Breathitt
Susan Stepp Owsley County
Kristie Combs and Polly Sebastian the two greatest players in Perry County history to NEVER play one game of College Basketball.

Kristin Madden was First Team All State. Not to bad. Britta Maggard was pretty good as well. Brittney Baker. Theres been several good players to come out of Napier and PCC.
Kasi Mullins-Galloway - Knott Central
She may have only played one year in the 14th but she could play.
warmachine Wrote:Kristie Combs and Polly Sebastian the two greatest players in Perry County history to NEVER play one game of College Basketball.

Kristin Madden was First Team All State. Not to bad. Britta Maggard was pretty good as well. Brittney Baker. Theres been several good players to come out of Napier and PCC.

Coach Napier has produced a lot of outstanding players who have not played one game of college basketball.
I would say Peggy Gay (Moore), she went on to play professional basketball and had a great career.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I think this says more about the kids Family Values at Perry Central rather than something dealing with Coach Napier at Perry Central. Randy does all he can for those girls. Its not his fault that all his good players have messed up parents.
That may be true. I just feel like with all the talent they have had that they would have been better represented at the collegiate level.
Talk about the talent pool in the 53rd and the 14th Region in general from the late 70's to the late 90's. UNREAL! Some great lists BTW!
OrangenowBlue Wrote:She may have been but the competition was weaker back then. Kristie Combs from M.C. Napier was as good a shooter as I have ever seen and that was when the 14th region had two or three teams in the top ten in the state and she also won a state title. Brigette Combs from Whitesburg was also outstanding. She was Miss Basketball in 1985 and had a successful career at powerhouse Western Kentucky University which included playing in the NCAA final four in 1986. In her Sophomore year, Whitesburg made it to the state finals losing in a close one to a Clemette Haskins led Warren Central team.

Wasn't she injured and not 100% in the championship game?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Wasn't she injured and not 100% in the championship game?

That was actually Tiphanie Bates who was injured early in that game. She was a Senior and 1st team all state who was runner-up for Ms. Basketball to Clemette Haskins in 1983.
warmachine Wrote:I think this says more about the kids Family Values at Perry Central rather than something dealing with Coach Napier at Perry Central. Randy does all he can for those girls. Its not his fault that all his good players have messed up parents.

Could at add Kristy Miller to that list too that played in the earlier 2000s.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Who do you consider as some of the best girls basketball players in 14th region history. I have listed 20 players who I feel would be in this category. They are listed in no certain order.

Tracy Ison - Whitesburg
Candi Fannin - Hazard
Debra Oden - Jenkins
Peggy Moore - Buckhorn
Kristy Sexton - Jenkins

Very good list!
Just imagine if we consolidated 10 years ago. All I can say is it would have been scary.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

MVP2 Wrote:Could at add Kristy Miller to that list too that played in the earlier 2000s.

Kristy Miller was a great player and is a good principal in the Jenkins school system.
I remember when Leslie Bentley of Jenkins hit a half court shot in the all a state game against berea in the 90's to send the Lady Cavs to the final four game, that was the best team we have had since the 70's when Reda and Henry Wright was coach. They made it to the final four of the regular state. Don't know what year, and I don't know who we lost to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Kristie Miller (collett) was an outstanding player, wish she still coached Hazards 7th & 8th grade girls but she has a very good job at jenkins.
Kendall Noble will end up being the best 14 region player of all time by the time she is done. The things she has done already is crazy. She has a chance to score over 3,000 pts in her career and go to the Sweet 16 6 times.

Not taking anything away from some of the older players on the list but girls basketball was a lot bigger in the hills compared to the rest of the state in the 80's and early 90's.
We shall see. Polly Sebastian had a similar career at Perry Central. Kendall will be one of the best. She will need to continue winning regions, win Ms. Basketball, and go Division1(which I think she will). She also needs to lead her team deep into the state tournament instead of a one or two and done deal. Irene Moore won Ms. Basketball and led her team to the state finals. Tiphanie Bates and Brigette Combs(1985 Ms. Basketball) led their team to the state finals. Kristie Combs led her team to the state championship. Charlotte Sizemore and Carolyn Alexander led their team to the state championship. Because they play similar positions I would still give Kristie Combs the edge over Kendall Noble but Kendall has plenty of time to continue her success. Yes basketball was more successful in the mountains, during that time, but it was also more difficult to win the region as there would be several teams in the Top 25 and some in the Top 10. We very rarely have a team that maintains a Top 25 posiiton and that is usually for only brief periods of time.

Tracy Ison - Whitesburg
Candi Fannin - Hazard
Debra Oden - Jenkins
Peggy Moore - Buckhorn
Kristy Sexton - Jenkins

M.C. Napier - Kristie Combs is definitely a hands down favorite but you cannot forget Sondra Miller, Debbie Hamilton, and Stephanie Baker.

Heather Benton - Leslie Co.
Sondra Miller is a good one also. I could not remember her name.