•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley will Start Interviews 6/9
valley blue Wrote:Offers have been made to some exceptional coaches but have been turned down. If you want to blame someone, blame Saunders for leaving the team and the school high and dry this late in the season. I liked Saunders but that was low. I realize he is trying to get closer home and all but he could have given some warning. I am sure he had been job prospecting since he arrived at Valley. At this point the best thing they can do is convince Roberts to take it or either make him interim and get him some help. Head coaches that have been offered wouldn't come because it was too late in the season. They have character to do that.

Roberts would not take an interim coaching position. That rarely works out. Saunders has nothing to do with this situation. The coaches are not turning the job down because it is to late. if that was the case they would not have applied. Fix the problem and hire a coach period.
5timechamp Wrote:Roberts would not take an interim coaching position. That rarely works out. Saunders has nothing to do with this situation. The coaches are not turning the job down because it is to late. if that was the case they would not have applied. Fix the problem and hire a coach period.

Sorry 5timechamp, but you are wrong. They have turned down because it was to late and they did not apply, they were approached by the administration. Saunders does have something to do with it, he quit the last weed of school.
valley blue Wrote:Sorry 5timechamp, but you are wrong. They have turned down because it was to late and they did not apply, they were approached by the administration. Saunders does have something to do with it, he quit the last weed of school.

Sorry Valley Blue but you are proving my point.....the adminstration shouldnt approach anyone except the people that filled out an application and actually showed up for an interview. Anyone they wanted to handpick they should have approched before this process started and actually talked them into applying for the job.
This whole situation is a joke!!! If I were the folks who did apply I would take a second look to determine if I would take the job now if offered. This process is really sucking the sap out of some real good people.:flush::flush::flush:
5timechamp Wrote:Sorry Valley Blue but you are proving my point.....the adminstration shouldnt approach anyone except the people that filled out an application and actually showed up for an interview. Anyone they wanted to handpick they should have approched before this process started and actually talked them into applying for the job.

They did before and during the process. You can't force the person you really want to take a job if they don't want it and apparently they don't want most of those guys who applied. Face it Valley is not a football school, most qaulified coaches don't want to play second fiddle to basketball and it all happened so late we will never get a qaulified coach. So maybe you are right. They may have to hire one of the locals. But if I were the admin I would be looking for a qaulified coach as soon as the season ends.
Since SV has waited so late to pick or find someone. There's only one person who could end up making this a good year, and that's Anthony Hampton. He's benn in Saunders system the last 3 seasons and that's what the kids are used to. Also the kids onthe team loave him to death and want him as their coach, and I think he derves it!!
You are 12 days away and you don't have a coach. Going to be a tough year for Shelby Valley.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
i agree with you guru. I think Hampton is the guy for the job. He was there before and during the Saunders tenure, besides I think he would do a good job.
Can anyone on here tell me what Hampton has done for these kids since Saunders left? I'll tell you what he has done, NOTHING! Mike Roberts has pretty much been the lone coach there. So I guess I don't see why some of you guys are so big on him. I also keep hearing people talking about this is who the kids want, this is who the parents want. It isn't about what the kids want but more about what the administration feels would benefit these kids. No they haven't hired anyone and that is because no one with any decent credentials has accepted it. The best man for the job (in my opinion) present and future did not apply but may in the future. So take the lumps for at least another year and live with the decision or lack of a decision that the admin. makes.
hammertime Wrote:Can anyone on here tell me what Hampton has done for these kids since Saunders left? I'll tell you what he has done, NOTHING! Mike Roberts has pretty much been the lone coach there. So I guess I don't see why some of you guys are so big on him. I also keep hearing people talking about this is who the kids want, this is who the parents want. It isn't about what the kids want but more about what the administration feels would benefit these kids. No they haven't hired anyone and that is because no one with any decent credentials has accepted it. The best man for the job (in my opinion) present and future did not apply but may in the future. So take the lumps for at least another year and live with the decision or lack of a decision that the admin. makes.

Do you know what Hampton did before Saunders? He took over after Ben Howard left. Hampton took over in the middle of summer practice and guided the team to the playoffs. Hampton has been the weightlifting coach for many years and knows all the boys very well.

But all in all, if I'm Hampton I tell Valley they can stick it, I wouldn't be anyone's last resort. He should have gotten the job in the first place. Not a rebound after everyone else turns them down.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Do you know what Hampton did before Saunders? He took over after Ben Howard left. Hampton took over in the middle of summer practice and guided the team to the playoffs. Hampton has been the weightlifting coach for many years and knows all the boys very well.

But all in all, if I'm Hampton I tell Valley they can stick it, I wouldn't be anyone's last resort. He should have gotten the job in the first place. Not a rebound after everyone else turns them down.
We actually agree on something lol.
Panther Thunder Wrote:We actually agree on something lol.

A very rare feat. Might want to record this.
I agree with both panther and pc. He should have been their first choice. I like mike roberts, but he didnt apply for the job. Interview those that apply and make a choice.
So whats the deal? Less then 11 days and no coach?
good luck to Valley!
I cannot believe that no one sees whats going on here. Roberts will be the next Head Coach at Shelby Valley. This is the Pike County political machine giving all of us a lesson in posturing and aversion. Roberts is who they want up there. But, they dont want to risk the potential black eye they would get by basically creating a job for a guy amidst all the layoffs that are happening system wide in the Pike County BOE just so he can be head football coach. Ive heard from a reliable source that the reason all the candidates have turned the job down is that they have been told in the interview that they must agree to take on Roberts as an assitant or they will not be hired. If that is indeed true no coach in their right mind would take a job where they couldnt choose their own assistants. So wait and see if Roberts doesnt get hired as the "Interim" coach they wanted all along. Therfore if the SB council is confronted with any hard questions. They can just say that no other coach would take the job and with practice starting in a few days they would have no choice but to hire Roberts on an "interim"(full time) basis. Just my opinion of course.
Enter The Dragon Wrote:I cannot believe that no one sees whats going on here. Roberts will be the next Head Coach at Shelby Valley. This is the Pike County political machine giving all of us a lesson in posturing and aversion. Roberts is who they want up there. But, they dont want to risk the potential black eye they would get by basically creating a job for a guy amidst all the layoffs that are happening system wide in the Pike County BOE just so he can be head football coach. Ive heard from a reliable source that the reason all the candidates have turned the job down is that they have been told in the interview that they must agree to take on Roberts as an assitant or they will not be hired. If that is indeed true no coach in their right mind would take a job where they couldnt choose their own assistants. So wait and see if Roberts doesnt get hired as the "Interim" coach they wanted all along. Therfore if the SB council is confronted with any hard questions. They can just say that no other coach would take the job and with practice starting in a few days they would have no choice but to hire Roberts on an "interim"(full time) basis. Just my opinion of course.

You act as if people didn't already know this. Nobody in the community wants to admit it, but have known this all along.
Is Roberts a teacher in the Pike/ SV system?
They would have NEVER let this happen to the Basketball Program.... These kids are as important as any others.
BlueSky Wrote:They would have NEVER let this happen to the Basketball Program.... These kids are as important as any others.
Unfortunately for the kids who only play football. The community as a whole dont see it that way up there. All I know is if this happened here at Pikeville or over on Pond Creek there would be riots in the streets by now.
IT' shame that this football team & community will suffer because of a political machine that is too blind to see the damage thats happening here!!
:notworthy:Thumbs:
Big Five-0- Wrote:IT' shame that this football team & community will suffer because of a political machine that is too blind to see the damage thats happening here!!
Football at Shelby Valley is just something they have so the cheerleaders can practice their cheering for basketball season and that is a shame. Football has never been in the blood of most of the people in this area as Dorton didn't have football and Virgie was rarely any good.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Football at Shelby Valley is just something they have so the cheerleaders can practice their cheering for basketball season and that is a shame. Football has never been in the blood of most of the people in this area as Dorton didn't have football and Virgie was rarely any good.

If it's only practice for the cheerleaders basketball season then they need to take it more seriously because the cheer squad at Valley has been a let down for about 3 years now.

And when I was at Virgie, I was part of 3 straight county champs. So I don't know where you get off as Virgie was never good in football. A lot of players transferred away form Shelby Valley. Shelby Valley would have been a lot more dangerous with Quirvoin Merchant and Daniel Harmon. I would have loved to block for Harmon in high school, but wasn't about to transfer to Pikeville to do so.
PC_You_Know Wrote:If it's only practice for the cheerleaders basketball season then they need to take it more seriously because the cheer squad at Valley has been a let down for about 3 years now.

And when I was at Virgie, I was part of 3 straight county champs. So I don't know where you get off as Virgie was never good in football. A lot of players transferred away form Shelby Valley. Shelby Valley would have been a lot more dangerous with Quirvoin Merchant and Daniel Harmon. I would have loved to block for Harmon in high school, but wasn't about to transfer to Pikeville to do so.

And this kinda proves why kids do the transfering, Because its a basketball school and always will be.
Honestly, How will this affect their football season this year with everything in complete disaray? Starts next Friday, No coach. S.V. had a couple of decent seasons, Will all this uncertainty bring it down this year from what it's been the past couple years? Looks like a bad situation, Good luck.
They do need to get in gear and hire a coach!!!
PC_You_Know Wrote:If it's only practice for the cheerleaders basketball season then they need to take it more seriously because the cheer squad at Valley has been a let down for about 3 years now.

I am not talking about grade school I am discussing the high school programs. Since they have had such a "rich tradition" in football at Virgie and Shelby Valley, would you please list all the district and regional championships these schools have won as well as the years these schools have had winning seasons. Sounds like since Shelby Valley High School apparently doesn't care about football, Virgie Middle, has become a feeder school for other high schools.
Well, at this point, it looks like they will have to re-cycle one of the locals, who haven't been very successful wherever they have been. That is, IF they can pursuade one of them to take it. This is turning into a very embarrassing situation for SV, whether they realize it or care at all.
Look for Shelby Valley to hire this week. Also, expect a Louisville school to be searching for a replacement.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next