Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Will Win 15th Region
whos the favorite and who may be a sleeper?like to hear your thoughts
I don't know who will be the sleeper this year? Belfry took over that role last year knocking off JC, but as far as this year goes, I think that depending on the draw PCC could upset somebody if they are overlooked. They have a lefty that is very capable of surprising a few teams. I just wonder if LC and JC make it to the finals this year will either one of them have their ace to throw for the finals? I personally don't think they will, so then I guess you have to look at which one has the best and deeper pitching staff. JC will have Conley, Parker, Vanhoose, Baldwin, and after that i'm not sure possibly Stacy? LC on the other hand will have Shepherd, Moore, Banks, Burton, and thats about it. So with that said, I think if Shepherd and Conley are both out for the finals it will be a toss up as to whom has the better pitcher on the mound for the championship?
I will be a homer and say JC is now the favorite. With the win Thursday night, they are now guaranteed to only have to face one of either Pikeville or Belfry, if either, so they get to throw off in their first game, allowing for Michael or Cody to be available in the finals, more than likely.
Wouldnt it be great if JC were to draw Allen Central as their winner, thus putting LC going thru Pikeville and Belfry both? :Cheerlead

I would gladly welcome a Pikeville-LC,-Belfry-PBurg bracket on one side.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I believe the regional finals will be a repeat of the 57th district finals. That was one exciting game!
Ring'Em Up Wrote:I will be a homer and say JC is now the favorite. With the win Thursday night, they are now guaranteed to only have to face one of either Pikeville or Belfry, if either, so they get to throw off in their first game, allowing for Michael or Cody to be available in the finals, more than likely.
Wouldnt it be great if JC were to draw Allen Central as their winner, thus putting LC going thru Pikeville and Belfry both? :Cheerlead

I would gladly welcome a Pikeville-LC,-Belfry-PBurg bracket on one side.

Your analysis makes sense. JC is probably now the slight favorite. Should be a real good tournament though.:popcorn:
I think Pikeville may win it this year. They have beat JC twice and went 8 innings with LC and Luke H struck out 14.
Good Luck to all teams and drive safely to the games from where ever you're traveling!
JC has the momentum after the district tourney, although they limped into the district tourney with a couple of ugly losses in the few games beforehand and LC still has the region's best pitcher (even if he lost once, it's still true) which means everything come tournament time. I'd say Lawrence County is still your favorite based on Shepherd's big game experience and skills, although one of their other pitchers is going to have to step up and beat either Pikeville or Belfry...or they may need TWO other pitchers to step up if they draw in with both of those teams, which would make things real interesting with their # 3 going up against one of those teams's # 1 starter. (Or they'd have to come with Shepherd in one of those games and take their chances in the regional final with their # 2 or # 3. Depends on your school of thought in that regard.) The tournament might set up such that Shepherd could start the first game, pitch three innings or so and if they get a lead pull him and save him for a third game in a couple of days. Many ways it could play out, but he's the difference maker in THIS region. Yes, I know Central beat him once, but how many times out of ten will that happen, especially on a neutral field? And I say that bleeding black and gold.

Pikeville's the sleeper. Whichever side of the draw they end up on will be real interesting, given what they've done to JC twice and almost did to LC once.
Without the benefit of knowing the draw:

1. Johnson Central- Good team, needs a good outing from their starter.
2. Lawrence County- Struggles in big games offensively, Sound pitching.
3. Pikeville- Very dangerous Offense even without McDonald, Good Defense, big question is pitching- the ability is there, but needs to be shown.

4. Belfry- Tough game for anybody, very scrappy team.
5. Pike Central- Can really come alive when they are on. Pitching can be good, defense needs to prove itself.

6. East Ridge- Decent on both offense and defense.
7. Allen Central- From what I've seen is solid defensively, decent offense, needs to put a whole game together to win.
8. Prestonsburg- Struggles defensively, below average offense. Needs to get some help from whoever they play, be it walks, errors, base running miscues, etc..

A lot depends on the draw, with pitching decisions to be made.
^Is McDonald out for the year?
jetpilot Wrote:^Is McDonald out for the year?
He for sure won't play the first game.
JC-Favorite
AC-Sleeper
Bobcatfaithful Wrote:JC-Favorite
AC-Sleeper

I agree.

I noticed that some have mentioned Pikeville as being the sleeper, but I really don't see them as being a team anyone would potentially overlook.
could belfry be the sleeper again this year and win it?
Id go with Jc or Belfry.
JC has to be the favorite.

Going in as runner up changes LC's pitching scheme. If i heard the brackets right AC will be no cake walk for LC and they may just be the sleeper in this tourney.
With LC getting AC in the draw it does allow them to throw off first round, however, I do believe they will have to throw Shepherd against Pikeville in the semi's. If they don't and try to throw off that game they could very easily get upset. If LC uses Shepherd before the championship then I think JC should win the regioin, but if they get to use Shepherd or the championship I believe he can and will beat JC the second time around. It also depends on how JC uses their pitching as well. If they have Conley or Parker for the championship they are sitting very pretty to win it all.

I will say this though, Pike Central has the ability to knock off Pikeville first round. The lefty can definetely shut down their offense and i'm assuming they are going to throw Huffman first round. If he is on they win, but if he comes out like I have seen a couple of times and let mediocre teams put a few runs up they will be one and done. Pikeville is a very Jeckel and Hyde team, their fate all depends on which personality shows up for that first game.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:With LC getting AC in the draw it does allow them to throw off first round, however, I do believe they will have to throw Shepherd against Pikeville in the semi's. If they don't and try to throw off that game they could very easily get upset. If LC uses Shepherd before the championship then I think JC should win the regioin, but if they get to use Shepherd or the championship I believe he can and will beat JC the second time around. It also depends on how JC uses their pitching as well. If they have Conley or Parker for the championship they are sitting very pretty to win it all.

I will say this though, Pike Central has the ability to knock off Pikeville first round. The lefty can definetely shut down their offense and i'm assuming they are going to throw Huffman first round. If he is on they win, but if he comes out like I have seen a couple of times and let mediocre teams put a few runs up they will be one and done. Pikeville is a very Jeckel and Hyde team, their fate all depends on which personality shows up for that first game.

Pikeville has won 14 of their last 16 with a romp over Pike Central in that streak. PC has lost 12 of their last 15. I will be shocked if they throw Huffman against the Hawks. Why in the world would you do that if you probably have to beat Lawrence County and Johnson Central the next two days?
Panther Thunder Wrote:Without the benefit of knowing the draw:

1. Johnson Central- Good team, needs a good outing from their starter.
2. Lawrence County- Struggles in big games offensively, Sound pitching.
3. Pikeville- Very dangerous Offense even without McDonald, Good Defense, big question is pitching- the ability is there, but needs to be shown.

4. Belfry- Tough game for anybody, very scrappy team.
5. Pike Central- Can really come alive when they are on. Pitching can be good, defense needs to prove itself.

6. East Ridge- Decent on both offense and defense.
7. Allen Central- From what I've seen is solid defensively, decent offense, needs to put a whole game together to win.
8. Prestonsburg- Struggles defensively, below average offense. Needs to get some help from whoever they play, be it walks, errors, base running miscues, etc..

A lot depends on the draw, with pitching decisions to be made.

I'm not trying to be a homer, but how many times have you seen Prestonsburg play? No doubt they're inconsistent, but they've proved they can play with anyone in the region.

However, I think JC is without a doubt the favorite and it's theirs to lose.
blackcat Wrote:I'm not trying to be a homer, but how many times have you seen Prestonsburg play? No doubt they're inconsistent, but they've proved they can play with anyone in the region.

Well until someone beats LC in the 15th Region Tourney its still theirs to lose... They are the 15th Region defending champs and I know they are not as strong as last years team but until they are beat in this tourney they are still defending champs. I know that doesnt make alot of sense to some.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
blackcat Wrote:I'm not trying to be a homer, but how many times have you seen Prestonsburg play? No doubt they're inconsistent, but they've proved they can play with anyone in the region.

They haven't proved they can play with East Ridge or Pike Central. Three blowout losses to those teams. Prestonsburg is the 8th best team in the tournament.
Batpuff Wrote:Well until someone beats LC in the 15th Region Tourney its still theirs to lose... They are the 15th Region defending champs and I know they are not as strong as last years team but until they are beat in this tourney they are still defending champs. I know that doesnt make alot of sense to some.

Not so, after their loss in the district. That loss, coupled with the not so impressive showing against a very weak Sheldon Clark team legitimately nullified any and all claims as them being "the king of the hill". They just dont have a solid #2 pitcher that can shut anybody down. Take Shepherd away and they are really not strong at all in the pitching department.

Truth is , this is nobody's tournament to loose. There aint a nickle's worth of difference in the top contendors, IMO. Some have stronger points in different areas, but I think all of the contenders are pretty much on equal terms, and the eventual winner will have to be reliant on capitalizing on whatever breaks that come their ways. Lets face it, this is the weakest year for the 15th in a while.
Diogenes Wrote:JC has the momentum after the district tourney, although they limped into the district tourney with a couple of ugly losses in the few games beforehand and LC still has the region's best pitcher (even if he lost once, it's still true) which means everything come tournament time. I'd say Lawrence County is still your favorite based on Shepherd's big game experience and skills, although one of their other pitchers is going to have to step up and beat either Pikeville or Belfry...or they may need TWO other pitchers to step up if they draw in with both of those teams, which would make things real interesting with their # 3 going up against one of those teams's # 1 starter. (Or they'd have to come with Shepherd in one of those games and take their chances in the regional final with their # 2 or # 3. Depends on your school of thought in that regard.) The tournament might set up such that Shepherd could start the first game, pitch three innings or so and if they get a lead pull him and save him for a third game in a couple of days. Many ways it could play out, but he's the difference maker in THIS region. Yes, I know Central beat him once, but how many times out of ten will that happen, especially on a neutral field? And I say that bleeding black and gold.

Pikeville's the sleeper. Whichever side of the draw they end up on will be real interesting, given what they've done to JC twice and almost did to LC once.
Do I think that Shepherd is going to loose every game he throws against JC? Not by any means, I think he would win a few but I think he would also loose a few too.

I honestly dont think it takes JC 's #1 pitcher to beat Lawrence and Shepherd, as proved in the district and in the regular season by Paintsville. I dont think that the district game was a fluke by any means. If Lawrence was a real strong offensive team like last year, I would say different, but they are not. The secret is to be able to push across a run or two, and just have someone else be able to throw a solid game, and keep it close. Regardless of what the common thought is about his fast ball, I see some chinks in Shepherd's armour that does make it vulnerable.

Lawrence is definately one of the favorites, but in no way are they an automatic even with Shepherd on the mound. As evidenced by his loss to both Johnson Central and Paintsville, and the game against Pikeville in which Huffman kept it close and matched his performance.

I have seen them twice, and have gotten detailed updates about 2 other games.
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville has won 14 of their last 16 with a romp over Pike Central in that streak. PC has lost 12 of their last 15. I will be shocked if they throw Huffman against the Hawks. Why in the world would you do that if you probably have to beat Lawrence County and Johnson Central the next two days?

Very true, but you also have a loss to East Ridge and a game with Betsy Layne that Im pretty sure was only a 1 run lead going into he sixth, and guess who started both of those games? Huffman....now they are as Jeckel and Hyde with the way they play as some others, but I think it would be in their best interest to start Huffman for a couple of innings to see i they can push across a few runs to where they can take him out after one or two innings, if not you run the risk of Pikeville having one of their games in which they do not show up, and somebody upsets them. Pikeville is kind of similar to LC in a lot of ways, their offense only shows up when it wants to and they really only run about 2-deep with their pitching staff, but if they can get a lead I think they have some guys who can come in and finish the game, that way they can save their last two pitchers.
LC wins it over JC in the finals and as far as sleepers go there is noone because the 57th is all the 15th has!!!
jetpilot Wrote:They haven't proved they can play with East Ridge or Pike Central. Three blowout losses to those teams. Prestonsburg is the 8th best team in the tournament.

Well they beat Lawrence in the regular season. They have a mercy win over Allen Central. They have beaten Belfry and beat them in the tournament last night, so I would question your 8th best team in the tournament statement :Clap:
Johnson Central!

-Pup
pikeville by 3
canoeman06 Wrote:Well they beat Lawrence in the regular season. They have a mercy win over Allen Central. They have beaten Belfry and beat them in the tournament last night, so I would question your 8th best team in the tournament statement :Clap:

Thank you, well said! P'burg has been very unpredictable but thankfully the right Prestonsburg team showed up last night so I only hope that same team shows up tomorrow night, focused and ready.