Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Is The Greatest Team Ever In The Mountains?
Pond creek nation Wrote:anybody got pictures or a video of the 87 panthers? If you do post it on here!

I would suggest the next time you are in Pikeville, go by the Log Cabin Rest.,and ask to see the team & individual photographs [ professionally done] . This will give you an idea of how that awesome foot ball team of 1987 looked. Wished you could have been around to see them play. ----------------- Phenominal!!!!!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Not anywhere close to that Pikeville team as well.

I would put them right there with the 2008 Bell County team (the question has to be asked would Bell have won the state title if it were still 4 classes?) That Belfry team may have had the best backfield to ever come out of the mountains, and one of the best all time in the state of Kentucky. But, the 87 Pikeville team and the previously mentioned Breathitt teams of the 90's, as well as the legendary Lynch and Corbin (Steve Bird) teams probably rank ahead of them.

Another team worth mentioning is that Middlesboro State Champion team from the 90's. That team had to be good to win a title in spite of Coach Roark (notoriously poor as a big game coach).

Breathitt's 2002 State Champs also would bright there just behind those Belfry teams.
breathitts 95-97 teams are by far better than the 2002 team i would put them with this years bell co but not at 87 pikeville but the 97 team was the best but got ousted at the lawrence co mudbowl debacle
Bell county is a 4a school. Pikeville was a 1a school
Just a thought, how about the mid 70's to early 80's Paintsville Tigers?
The '78 Paintsville team was probably the best team in the school's history and had a state runner-up finish. However, I doubt that it would've even held a candle to the Pikeville team. Two different eras.
central_eagles Wrote:Just a thought, how about the mid 70's to early 80's Paintsville Tigers?

Not even in the Top 15 IMO.

If we are talking State Runner-Ups those teams would still fall behind Runner-Ups from Belfry, Rockcastle County, Cumberland, and Prestonsburg
'87 Pikeville Panthers.
IRISH4 Wrote:The '78 Paintsville team was probably the best team in the school's history and had a state runner-up finish. However, I doubt that it would've even held a candle to the Pikeville team. Two different eras.
Thats a fair answer, was just a question on my part. Thank You.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Not even in the Top 15 IMO.

If we are talking State Runner-Ups those teams would still fall behind Runner-Ups from Belfry, Rockcastle County, Cumberland, and Prestonsburg

Actually, I think the '78 team would've beat a few of those schools. They were defeated 15-13 by Ft. Campbell at EKU...however they did score the 2pt conversion to tie it up...only to have it called back for only 10 players on the field. They had a great offense and an even better defense...but still yet, they wouldn't have even came close to the '87 Panthers...IMO.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Not even in the Top 15 IMO.

I'll bet, and I guess it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, you never seen or do not know anything about the '78 Paintsville Team? I'm sure you were not even around in 1978?
central_eagles Wrote:I'll bet, and I guess it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, you never seen or do not know anything about the '78 Paintsville Team? In fact your statement is probably pure ignorance! I'm sure you were not even around in 1978?

I was around then and EKUAlum is right on.
I too was around then Jet Pilot, and Eku Alum is right on. By the way thanks for the valuable info. on Mike Fields article ''87 Pikeville Panthers" that was awesome!!!!!!!:Thumbs:
central_eagles Wrote:I'll bet, and I guess it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, you never seen or do not know anything about the '78 Paintsville Team? In fact your statement is probably pure ignorance! I'm sure you were not even around in 1978?

Ignorance is bliss and better than blind bias.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Ignorance is bliss and better than blind bias.

Sorry Oh Great 1!:please:
central_eagles Wrote:Sorry Oh Great 1!:please:

Apology Accepted :biggrin:
Didn't take long for the new guy to get hostile.:biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:Didn't take long for the new guy to get hostile.:biggrin:

:yawn: <--- summarizes my sentiments
1990 Ashland Tomcats
1997 (I believe) Raceland Rams
1999 Lawrence County Bulldogs
2003 Belfry Pirates
abnerdday Wrote:1990 Ashland Tomcats
1997 (I believe) Raceland Rams
1999 Lawrence County Bulldogs
2003 Belfry Pirates

I can see the 1990 Ashland and 2003 Belfry but the other 2 won what?:eyeroll:
03 Belfry Pirates.
I agree with everyone else the stats of the 87 pikeville team are very, very impressive:worthy:, however the majority of those stats are individual stats. The thread didn't ask for best individual efforts, rather the best team. And I feel like 2008 Class 4A state champs were the definition of a team. :1: There team defensive stats and 8 shut-outs are enough to consider them as one of the best teams ever in the mountains.
Big Five-0- Wrote:I too was around then Jet Pilot, and Eku Alum is right on. By the way thanks for the valuable info. on Mike Fields article ''87 Pikeville Panthers" that was awesome!!!!!!!:Thumbs:

You are very welcome. Loved posting it!
If you want to know what the other two won (Raceland and Lawrence), take a look at the whole complexion of the thread. Raceland was overly dominant in posting an undefeated regular season. Lawrence Co. had argubly the greatest offense firepower with two of the best players (statistically) ever to play in Kentucky High School Football history with Gerad Parker and Michael West and made it to the State Semi-Finals, only losing to eventual state champion, Highlands.
As for Ashland, if you're talking about stats, look at their backfield with Chris Hutt, Charlie Johnson, and Juan Thomas-all who rushed for over 1,000 yards. BTW, GOOD LUCK trying to tackle those guys for two quarters, much less four quarters. They won the 1990 State Championship.
2003 Belfry was loaded offensively, but I still don't know if they could stop
continued...if they (2203 Belfry) could stop 1990 Ashland or 1999 Lawrence County. 1997 Raceland's defense was extremely stingy.
abnerdday Wrote:If you want to know what the other two won (Raceland and Lawrence), take a look at the whole complexion of the thread. Raceland was overly dominant in posting an undefeated regular season. Lawrence Co. had argubly the greatest offense firepower with two of the best players (statistically) ever to play in Kentucky High School Football history with Gerad Parker and Michael West and made it to the State Semi-Finals, only losing to eventual state champion, Highlands.
As for Ashland, if you're talking about stats, look at their backfield with Chris Hutt, Charlie Johnson, and Juan Thomas-all who rushed for over 1,000 yards. BTW, GOOD LUCK trying to tackle those guys for two quarters, much less four quarters. They won the 1990 State Championship.
2003 Belfry was loaded offensively, but I still don't know if they could stop

What I mean is they didn't win a state title. They both got beat in the playoffs and IMO the 2003 Belfry team couldn't stop Ashland at all too many weapons in the backfield.
Bell Co last year also has to be added to the list.
'87 Panthers hands down!! :worthy:
i know, right? Wrote:'87 Panthers hands down!! :worthy:

Yur right on!!!!:rockon:
That is true about Munoz. He was sitting right beside me. A nice guy who was really impressed with the maturity of this 87 team. They just do it all right, really something for such a small school......
94 Whitesburg Team