Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tebow Bill: Should HS home schoolers be allowed to play Public School sports?
This is in todays Lexington Herald Leader: http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/661927.html

How would this be able t be managed? Could you prevent transfers? How do you ensure grade eligibility?

The nuance to me is that the household is paying property taxes, which go to fund public schools, so should a home school student have the right to participate with the school districts in which you pay taxes. I'm pretty sure taxes are not going to be reduced to families who home school

For me, the toughest challenge to manage is grades. Hmmm, if a student is struggling with eligibility, how hard would it be to "help" them get eligible?
Within their district, yes.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Within their district, yes.

I Agree!!!
Im homeschooled, I started this at the beginning of my sophmore year, I am now a JR and I like it. But I miss playing sports so bad, it was a huge part of my life, and now I cant because I dont attend a public school. I get asked at every family get together by everyone, aunts, uncles, cousins, how I am doing in Basketball, and my answers is, "I dont play anymore" Sure wish they would change the rule, I have one more year of school, should would like to give it a shot for my senior year.
15th region slamdunk Wrote:Im homeschooled, I started this at the beginning of my sophmore year, I am now a JR and I like it. But I miss playing sports so bad, it was a huge part of my life, and now I cant because I dont attend a public school. I get asked at every family get together by everyone, aunts, uncles, cousins, how I am doing in Basketball, and my answers is, "I dont play anymore" Sure wish they would change the rule, I have one more year of school, should would like to give it a shot for my senior year.

I respect you sharing this. I am very close to a family who home schooled their children up to HS. They really wanted their children to continue the education that they were receiving, but because of the rules, and the desires of thir children to play sports, they caved. They let their children go to publich school against their wishes. It's a mixed answer when you wask them about the decision. I appreciate your honesty and openess
Stardust Wrote:I respect you sharing this. I am very close to a family who home schooled their children up to HS. They really wanted their children to continue the education that they were receiving, but because of the rules, and the desires of thir children to play sports, they caved. They let their children go to publich school against their wishes. It's a mixed answer when you wask them about the decision. I appreciate your honesty and openess

No problem at all. Just gives me hope that I may get to try out for a team next year. I really hope Kentucky atleast looks into this more, but I do understand some people's concerns about letting homeschoolers play public sports.
i have friends that have had their whole family home schooled and they love to play sports. i think that this is great as long as they play in thier district.
fanatic11 Wrote:i have friends that have had their whole family home schooled and they love to play sports. i think that this is great as long as they play in thier district.

I think people would be surprised at some of the players that will come out of the woodwork and be great players, but couldnt show it to a HS because they were Homeschooled.
15th region slamdunk Wrote:Im homeschooled, I started this at the beginning of my sophmore year, I am now a JR and I like it. But I miss playing sports so bad, it was a huge part of my life, and now I cant because I dont attend a public school. I get asked at every family get together by everyone, aunts, uncles, cousins, how I am doing in Basketball, and my answers is, "I dont play anymore" Sure wish they would change the rule, I have one more year of school, should would like to give it a shot for my senior year.

I know 15th here, and IMO he should be allowed to play. Dont take a childs dream from them just because there home schooled. This is not fair at all, and i think everyone should start realizing it. Hes one of those kids that eats sleeps and drinks basketball everyday. But hes not allowed to play because hes homeschooled? Just imagine how many talented athletes that are out there, That can play the game of basketball or any sport for that matter. Every kid should be given the oppurtunity as long as they are attending some type of school program. I honestly think this bill would help bring out alot of good athletes in our community. Hopefully it gets passed. Best of luck to all!
BobcatFan4Life Wrote:I know 15th here, and IMO he should be allowed to play. Dont take a childs dream from them just because there home schooled. This is not fair at all, and i think everyone should start realizing it. Hes one of those kids that eats sleeps and drinks basketball everyday. But hes not allowed to play because hes homeschooled? Just imagine how many talented athletes that are out there, That can play the game of basketball or any sport for that matter. Every kid should be given the oppurtunity as long as they are attending some type of school program. I honestly think this bill would help bring out alot of good athletes in our community. Hopefully it gets passed. Best of luck to all!

Great post to all who are close to this type of situation. It sounds like it would be a great idea to do.
Stardust Wrote:Great post to all who are close to this type of situation. It sounds like it would be a great idea to do.

Yeah, i think it would help bring out some new talent for the region. I know 15th can ball it up.
lol thanks for the promotion. But even if I didnt make the team I tried out for, I just want to be able to TRY. Just to be given the opportunity would mean more to me than anything.
No one else homeschooled interested in sports? Comon, don't be afraid.
To a point I don't agree with it.
Just look at the states that it's being done in. If it's working just adopt the same program. If you are forced to pay property taxes that go toward funding schools, you should have some benifits.
I say no because home schooling is much easier than attending classes on a regular day basis. As someone said there would or could be transfer problems. Too have this is the state of Kentucky there would be a lot of guidelines and it would probably be more problems then what it would be worth.
bac2369 Wrote:I say no because home schooling is much easier than attending classes on a regular day basis. As someone said there would or could be transfer problems. Too have this is the state of Kentucky there would be a lot of guidelines and it would probably be more problems then what it would be worth.

That's why I said look at other states that are doing it. If it's working in these states, go with a similar program. You can preceive all kinds of problems, but if other states have this and it's still being done they must have most or all the kinks worked out.
mightydog Wrote:That's why I said look at other states that are doing it. If it's working in these states, go with a similar program. You can preceive all kinds of problems, but if other states have this and it's still being done they must have most or all the kinks worked out.

Thats what I say.. Plus, The KHSAA can just make a rule, that if a homeschooler was to make a public school team, they are not allowed to transfer once the school has submitted a roster. No matter where they live, make them sit out a year if they decide to want to play for another school. All they would have to do is just keep track of which homeschoolers are playing where. Im sure the could devise some kinda plan.

But of coarse im gonna say whatever sounds like it will work, cuz im homeschooled and wanna play sports TongueirateSho
I had a buddy in high school (soph year) and he only came to school about 2 to 3 times a week. He would stay up most nights playing games on the computer. He ended up in getting in trouble (court) for missing so many days of school. His mother could care less if he went to school. Guess what. He was home schooled after his soph. year. So these are the kids that should play along the side of kids that go to school everyday?
Benchwarmer Wrote:I had a buddy in high school (soph year) and he only came to school about 2 to 3 times a week. He would stay up most nights playing games on the computer. He ended up in getting in trouble (court) for missing so many days of school. His mother could care less if he went to school. Guess what. He was home schooled after his soph. year. So these are the kids that should play along the side of kids that go to school everyday?

I know of people who just say there getting homeschooled, And they have sorry parents who dont care, and dont make them do actual homeschool work. They just basically dropped outta school.. So the people who are like your "buddy" shouldnt be able to play sports for a school...Now the kids who are actually doing homeschool and learning and making good grades, and trying to be somebody in the world, why not?
15th region slamdunk Wrote:I know of people who just say there getting homeschooled, And they have sorry parents who dont care, and dont make them do actual homeschool work. They just basically dropped outta school.. So the people who are like your "buddy" shouldnt be able to play sports for a school...Now the kids who are actually doing homeschool and learning and making good grades, and trying to be somebody in the world, why not?

There's the problem. You couldn't tell the difference.
Benchwarmer Wrote:There's the problem. You couldn't tell the difference.

If your getting Homeschooled, then the KHSAA needs to check your grades and check with whatever homeschooling program your doing. If ur up to par, and making good grades and are commited to learning in homeschool then sure let those kids play sports. If your not in any kinda program, but say your homeschooled just to make it sound like your doing something, or trying not to get your parents put in jail because your not really schooling, and staying home all day and playin video games, then theres a problem there. But if they check the grades out and all, and get transcripts from your homeschooling program, they'll be able to pick out the kids who are trying, and the ones that are BS'ing.
Little Mikey's football season is over and he has struggled all year with class work. It's the end of April and he see's he is failing two classes. Let me see. I'm going to be home schooled the next month My bad grades are gone and I still can play football.
My point being that some kids will see this as away out of doing classwork and still play a sport.
I have a question. If the public education is not good enough to educate some kids, why is it good enough for them to play sports in?
Benchwarmer Wrote:Little Mikey's football season is over and he has struggled all year with class work. It's the end of April and he see's he is failing two classes. Let me see. I'm going to be home schooled the next month My bad grades are gone and I still can play football.
My point being that some kids will see this as away out of doing classwork and still play a sport.
I have a question. If the public education is not good enough to educate some kids, why is it good enough for them to play sports in?

Apples and oranges.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Little Mikey's football season is over and he has struggled all year with class work. It's the end of April and he see's he is failing two classes. Let me see. I'm going to be home schooled the next month My bad grades are gone and I still can play football.

I agree if Kids are only going to use it like that, then theres no point. But I think the KHSAA could come up with something full proof if they want to. And I dunno why Public Schools are not good enough for some.. I got homeschooled because of my own personal reasons, had nothing to do with me feeling like I was to good for Public Schools, or that I wasnt recieving a great education there. I have many great friends still going to my old HS, and there was many great teachers there. Im considering going back there actually.
All good points, but if a parent is paying taxes to public schools, They should get something in return. Not all kids are like little Mikey. All im saying is give them something in return for them paying taxes. How hard is it to let a kid play something they love?
BobcatFan4Life Wrote:All good points, but if a parent is paying taxes to public schools, They should get something in return. Not all kids are like little Mikey. All im saying is give them something in return for them paying taxes. How hard is it to let a kid play something they love?

My dad pays taxes and it was not part of the bail out.
Here is paying taxes. Someone works at wal-Mart and is making $700 a month, they are drug tested, have two children, and pay taxes. Another person does not work, they have two children, makes $900 (welfare) a month, pays no taxes, drinks a 6 pack everyday, smokes a dime bag every week, and are not drug tested.
I think it would be ok, but could be loaded with problems. I think the KHSAA would have to test and see that the kids were getting thier same core curriculum as as regular students and would have to play in thier school district with no transfers.

Some kids/parents could maniuplate the systems and dodge academic standards and/or they could drop out of one school and say they were home schooled to play at another. I would be for it if the home school kids had to meet the same rules and regulations as regular students.
MonsterMan Wrote:I think it would be ok, but could be loaded with problems. I think the KHSAA would have to test and see that the kids were getting thier same core curriculum as as regular students and would have to play in thier school district with no transfers.

Some kids/parents could maniuplate the systems and dodge academic standards and/or they could drop out of one school and say they were home schooled to play at another. I would be for it if the home school kids had to meet the same rules and regulations as regular students.

I agree with you.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I agree with you.

I agree with every1's post on this thread. There will be pro
s and cons to this.. Like I said, there needs to be a system put in place for this, but who knows, only time will tell. Do you all think it will get passed?