Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BluegrassRivals.com Boys Basketball Top 20 (Dec. 15)
If I'm not mistaken it was at the Sweet 16 2 yrs ago. I know that EJ has improved but so has EF. Personally I think it would be a pretty good match up. Of course I am going with a 16 th guy like some of you are going with a 15th guy. Hey we all can still be friends.

Anyway like they said on the Sports Guy it is waaaay to early to be worried about the rankings.
kybaseball Wrote:Did they play against each other last year?:confused: I will have to give the edge to Fualkner I believe he is bigger faster and stronger. I can not say it would be the same as the last time they met but on those same lines no one can say without a doubt it would be any different either.Wink

I am not bashing EJ in anyway.What I have seen he is a wonderful player but we all must be realestic.
I am being realistic. From what I hear, Fualkner is a great player. But EJ has been playing against great players his whole life. At the Expo Center this year, EJ held his own against 2 of the top players in the nation. So being realistic, I think he could hold his own against some of the top players in the 16th region.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I am being realistic. From what I hear, Fualkner is a great player. But EJ has been playing against great players his whole life. At the Expo Center this year, EJ held his own against 2 of the top players in the nation. So being realistic, I think he could hold his own against some of the top players in the 16th region.

Hopefully we will get a chance to see them play against each other. I think he could hold his own against some of the top players in th 16th as well.Just not Faulkner. I think EF would go by him like he did a couple of years ago.I'm telling you guys EF is a manchild. Plus EJ can't stop the whole Elliott co. team by himself.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I am being realistic. From what I hear, Fualkner is a great player. But EJ has been playing against great players his whole life. At the Expo Center this year, EJ held his own against 2 of the top players in the nation. So being realistic, I think he could hold his own against some of the top players in the 16th region.

I agree. With the quickness of Valleys press, and the inside defense of Ashley and Devan Adams, not many teams can play with Valley this year. Especially considering almost every player in the lineup is an offensive threat also.
kybaseball Wrote:Hopefully we will get a chance to see them play against each other. I think he could hold his own against some of the top players in th 16th as well.Just not Faulkner. I think EF would go by him like he did a couple of years ago.I'm telling you guys EF is a manchild. Plus EJ can't stop the whole Elliott co. team by himself.

He wouldn't have to. The whole team is excellent at defense. They all can press and intercept/deflect passes and block shots. Not saying the Elliott County can't. I just don't think you can make a true argument about how good Elliott is until they play a real team. Valley played a real team from GA, and well you know what happened in that game. A 21 pt victory for the Wildcats. Not to mention the beating they put on Henry Clay who supposedly had a guy in the running for Mr.Basketball, who was held to 10 pts by the way (all in 2nd half)
runninrebs21 Wrote:He wouldn't have to. The whole team is excellent at defense. They all can press and intercept/deflect passes and block shots. Not saying the Elliott County can't. I just don't think you can make a true argument about how good Elliott is until they play a real team. Valley played a real team from GA, and well you know what happened in that game. A 21 pt victory for the Wildcats. Not to mention the beating they put on Henry Clay who supposedly had a guy in the running for Mr.Basketball, who was held to 10 pts by the way (all in 2nd half)

I think West Carter is a real team. All these true test have come at home too.Not trying to take anything away from the victories but they still were at home.Wink

HC I would't say they were as good as WC. I have my doubts the GA team is much better than WC either.

We all like teams from our respective regions and are going to discuss who we think is the best.It would be a great game between great teams and players.
kybaseball Wrote:I think West Carter is a real team. All these true test have come at home too.Not trying to take anything away from the victories but they still were at home.Wink

HC I would't say they were as good as WC. I have my doubts the GA team is much better than WC either.

We all like teams from our respective regions and are going to discuss who we think is the best.It would be a great game between great teams and players.
West Carter has a record of 5-1. Their 1 loss was to Elliott. Their 5 wins, only 1 team of those has a winning record. So that really isnt a lot to judge them by if you havent seen them play. Walton is ranked 3rd in the state of Ga. in their highest class rating. They have 2 D-1 commits who are also ranked in the nation in the top 100 players. I guess that is a lot to have doubts about.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
I have seen both Elliott and West play.

Those players maybe top 100 but I am willing to say they weren't that night. How many games have they played while up in this area. Even if they didn't play any coming from GA they had to be wore out.

SV has a fine school but they have only played 1 school in the state with a winning record. I'm not sure about GA.

SV may beat Elliott it will be a treat to watch if they get to play.
This is the same five starters for Elliott County that played and beat Shelby Valley 2 years ago. This is the same five starters for Elliott County that almost knocked off Mason County in the Sweet 16 last year. This is the same five starters that I watched this year completely dismantle Clark County in a Panorama. Yeah, but I guess these kids have never played and beaten any good teams.Rolleyes

I'll take Elliott County.
:igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup:
kybaseball Wrote:I think West Carter is a real team. All these true test have come at home too.Not trying to take anything away from the victories but they still were at home.Wink

kybaseball Wrote:Those players maybe top 100 but I am willing to say they weren't that night. How many games have they played while up in this area. Even if they didn't play any coming from GA they had to be wore out.

SV has a fine school but they have only played 1 school in the state with a winning record. I'm not sure about GA.

Come on now. I know you think Elliott is better than SV. Actually, I would give Elliott a slight edge as well. But trying to devalue Valley's big wins by saying the teams weren't that good won't work.

Henry Clay? They may not have been as good as some thought in the pre-season, but they have been impressive in every game except the one against SV. They beat Christian Co. (a top 20 team), lost by 5 to Bryan Station (a top 10 team), and blew out Pike Central. Looks like their resume is at least as good as West Carter's, if not better.

Walton? No, they hadn't just played the night before, their previous game was at home 4 nights before the SV game. And sure, they may have traveled from Georgia, but that's no excuse. Elite teams like that travel all the time. SV went to New York last year, and will go to Florida this year. Elliott goes to Myrtle Beach this year. Oak Hill goes all over the country every year. That's what good teams do, and they don't use travel as an excuse when they lose. As others on here have mentioned, Walton was ranked third in their class in the state of Georgia, so unless they play some sorry basketball down south, that's pretty impressive. I'm confident in saying Walton is easily better than West Carter.

Again, I will grant that Elliott is probably a better team than Valley, and should be ranked higher. But SV does have the more impressive resume so far this season.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes I do think Elliott is a little better I never said that I didn't.But I have gave SV props as well.

As far as the opponets go yes SV has destoyed 2 pretty good teams. Elliott beat both West Carter and Clark county also 2 pretty good teams one at home and the other on a neutral court.

:igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup:
PC_You_Know Wrote:I honestly couldn't care less where they're ranked. Walton won the state title 2 years ago, Rice and the other boy were on the squad then too. When was the last time Elliott played a team with two ACC signees? Wait, when was the last time this season Elliott played a respectful team? Oh yeah, that hasn't happened yet, their cupcake schedule lasts the ENTIRE year other than the All A.

I think if you check the schedules, both play the same number of region opponents. Elliott DOES play in argueably the PREMIER high school tournament in the Country......The City of the Palms being the only one close to it. As for the rest of Elliott's schedule, they play The number 1 team in Wva tomorrow, they play Mason Co., Anderson Co. East Carter, (Which would EASILY be the 2nd best team in the 15th twice, and are trying to replace the cancelled game this year with Franklin Co.
More Cowbell Wrote:Again, tell me who in spots #1-5 should definitely be ranked lower than Elliott County? You can't, because those are some really good teams. You could say that Elliott has played just as tough a schedule as J-Town, but how does that translate to saying they should be ranked higher than them? I could see your point if you were arguing that J-Town should be lower due to their weak schedule, maybe they haven't proved anything yet. But why is it such an insult that Elliott is ranked #6? Can you say without a doubt that they should be ranked ahead of J-Town, Holmes, Scott Co., Bryan Station, or Dunbar?

And as for jumping teams, yes, a certain team from the 15th did move up in the polls. But you fail to mention two big differences in the two situations. One, SV had played a stronger schedule to date (Henry Clay, Walton) and deserved to jump some teams who had not performed as well so far. Second, the teams they were jumping were not of the same caliber as the teams still in front of Elliott. Notice that this mysterious "team from the 15th" is still ranked a couple spots behind Elliott as well. Now, if this team should somehow leapfrog Elliott (without them suffering a bad loss), then you'll have a legitimate beef.

First of all, you can throw the Henry Clay win out the window, they struggled to finish .500 last year, the only place they have ever been ranked this year is on BGR........That leaves Walton, who was missing, was it two, or three starters?????? Now as for J-Town, they won by 2 today in the KOB against Anderson Co. (who is no doubt terrible, because Elliott plays them this year.) Man I hope Elliott stops trying to work out a game with Franklin Co. and gets one with Lawerence Co. That way their schedule could maybe compete with valley's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
runninrebs21 Wrote:He might be bigger than Elisha, and i dont know about stronger, but Elisha is one of the quickest players i have ever seen and played against. His hands on defense are unreal. When did they last play against each other?

That would have been in the 07 Sweet Sixteen. When Ethan ran through Valley's press, with Justice at the point of it I might add, and fouled Justice out, and won the game.............Quick can't shut down quick..............Justice will have to do more than be quick to get the best of Ethan.
letthebighogroot Wrote:First of all, you can throw the Henry Clay win out the window, they struggled to finish .500 last year, the only place they have ever been ranked this year is on BGR........That leaves Walton, who was missing, was it two, or three starters?????? Now as for J-Town, they won by 2 today in the KOB against Anderson Co. (who is no doubt terrible, because Elliott plays them this year.) Man I hope Elliott stops trying to work out a game with Franklin Co. and gets one with Lawerence Co. That way their schedule could maybe compete with valley's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm I did not know this.

You think Ethan hasn't???????? He has played AAU ball since the 6th grade....... Hit the game winner in Vegas this summer against Grassroots Canada, which was I believe one of only 3 losses this year, the team that beat them started 3 Elliott players.... Rick Pitino, who was at the tourny, but missed the game, said. " A Ky. team beat Canada?????) That wasn't the only winner he hit this summer against the best players in the nation however.........He had 5 more of them...........Justice is a great player.......Him being older than Faulkner and a year behind should only help him...........But he isn't Faulkner......
How about this to end the debate. Yes, Elliott is better than Shelby Valley. Now I admitted it, why dont you admit as to how much better. If they was to play next week, how much would Elliott Co. win by?
More Cowbell Wrote:Come on now. I know you think Elliott is better than SV. Actually, I would give Elliott a slight edge as well. But trying to devalue Valley's big wins by saying the teams weren't that good won't work.

Henry Clay? They may not have been as good as some thought in the pre-season, but they have been impressive in every game except the one against SV. They beat Christian Co. (a top 20 team), lost by 5 to Bryan Station (a top 10 team), and blew out Pike Central. Looks like their resume is at least as good as West Carter's, if not better.

Walton? No, they hadn't just played the night before, their previous game was at home 4 nights before the SV game. And sure, they may have traveled from Georgia, but that's no excuse. Elite teams like that travel all the time. SV went to New York last year, and will go to Florida this year. Elliott goes to Myrtle Beach this year. Oak Hill goes all over the country every year. That's what good teams do, and they don't use travel as an excuse when they lose. As others on here have mentioned, Walton was ranked third in their class in the state of Georgia, so unless they play some sorry basketball down south, that's pretty impressive. I'm confident in saying Walton is easily better than West Carter.

Again, I will grant that Elliott is probably a better team than Valley, and should be ranked higher. But SV does have the more impressive resume so far this season.
You do realize that this is the same Christian Co that Elliott beat pretty handily at last years Ky Bank Shootout, therefore you have to discount them. Cause Elliott don't play anybody.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:How about this to end the debate. Yes, Elliott is better than Shelby Valley. Now I admitted it, why dont you admit as to how much better. If they was to play next week, how much would Elliott Co. win by?

I think if Valley plays half court they are the better team. But their press won't turn Elliott over, therefore if they play the style they like to play Elliott would win. I never said it would be a blowout. It would be a very close game, Valley just don't have the shooters Elliott does IMO. I don't mean to rain on the Valley parade, but good grief......
letthebighogroot Wrote:I think if Valley plays half court they are the better team. But their press won't turn Elliott over, therefore if they play the style they like to play Elliott would win. I never said it would be a blowout. It would be a very close game, Valley just don't have the shooters Elliott does IMO. I don't mean to rain on the Valley parade, but good grief......
Ao, Elliott won a game by 65 points. So it would be safe to assume that Elliott would have a close game with Valley and win by oh... 30-35 points? What do you think the point spread would be?
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Ao, Elliott won a game by 65 points. So it would be safe to assume that Elliott would have a close game with Valley and win by oh... 30-35 points? What do you think the point spread would be?

If they drag out that 2-2-1 press for the whole game and Justice repeatidly tries for steals and commits fouls( instead of just D-ing up a player that he ain't gonna steal it from) 6 to 12 points. IMO
letthebighogroot Wrote:First of all, you can throw the Henry Clay win out the window, they struggled to finish .500 last year, the only place they have ever been ranked this year is on BGR........That leaves Walton, who was missing, was it two, or three starters?????? Now as for J-Town, they won by 2 today in the KOB against Anderson Co. (who is no doubt terrible, because Elliott plays them this year.) Man I hope Elliott stops trying to work out a game with Franklin Co. and gets one with Lawerence Co. That way their schedule could maybe compete with valley's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My goodness... Rolleyes

I did not realize that a transfomation takes place during each Shelby Valley game. A formerly good team, suddenly becomes a bad team, after they lose to the Wildcats.

Example #1: Before last Saturday, everyone on here but the most diehard SV homers were predicting a loss to Walton. Seems reasonable, since they are one of the top teams in Georgia. Then, after Valley beats the pants off them, suddenly Walton never was that good after all. After all, they were maybe missing a couple starters, who were apparently much more important to the team's fortunes than the two D-1 signees who did play. Conclusion to make: basketball in Georgia is in pretty bad shape, if one of their best teams gets blown out by some no-good team from eastern kentucky.

Example #2: Before last Friday, most were predicting a close game against Henry Clay. Seems reasonable, considering they had already beaten a top 20 team in Christian County, and had only lost by 5 to a state title contender in Bryan Station. Then, after Valley beats the pants off them, suddenly Henry Clay is not that good after all. Heck, they must be one of the worst teams in the state to lose to SV. Conclusion to make: since Henry Clay is terrible, then by association Christian County and Bryan Station must be awful too. I don't care if they did give Holmes their only loss, why is Bryan Station even ranked?

I guess I never realized that the lesson to be learned is this: if you lose to Shelby Valley, you were never that good to begin with. I bet Scott County hopes that they don't ever have to play SV, because if Valley were to pull an upset, everyone would finally realize how weak they are.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
letthebighogroot Wrote:That would have been in the 07 Sweet Sixteen. When Ethan ran through Valley's press, with Justice at the point of it I might add, and fouled Justice out, and won the game.............Quick can't shut down quick..............Justice will have to do more than be quick to get the best of Ethan.

Elisha was a freshmen at the time, if you're getting excited about a player making a freshmen foul out then you need to check yourself bub.
More Cowbell Wrote:My goodness... Rolleyes

I did not realize that a transfomation takes place during each Shelby Valley game. A formerly good team, suddenly becomes a bad team, after they lose to the Wildcats.

Example #1: Before last Saturday, everyone on here but the most diehard SV homers were predicting a loss to Walton. Seems reasonable, since they are one of the top teams in Georgia. Then, after Valley beats the pants off them, suddenly Walton never was that good after all. After all, they were maybe missing a couple starters, who were apparently much more important to the team's fortunes than the two D-1 signees who did play. Conclusion to make: basketball in Georgia is in pretty bad shape, if one of their best teams gets blown out by some no-good team from eastern kentucky.

Example #2: Before last Friday, most were predicting a close game against Henry Clay. Seems reasonable, considering they had already beaten a top 20 team in Christian County, and had only lost by 5 to a state title contender in Bryan Station. Then, after Valley beats the pants off them, suddenly Henry Clay is not that good after all. Heck, they must be one of the worst teams in the state to lose to SV. Conclusion to make: since Henry Clay is terrible, then by association Christian County and Bryan Station must be awful too. I don't care if they did give Holmes their only loss, why is Bryan Station even ranked?

I guess I never realized that the lesson to be learned is this: if you lose to Shelby Valley, you were never that good to begin with. I bet Scott County hopes that they don't ever have to play SV, because if Valley were to pull an upset, everyone would finally realize how weak they are.

I love your posts, they're so easy to side with, you do some mighty good research before posting on here my friend.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Elisha was a freshmen at the time, if you're getting excited about a player making a freshmen foul out then you need to check yourself bub.

Yes he was a Freshman......A Freshman that happens to be older than the Sophmore (at the time) Faulkner. Never said I was excited, just stated a fact.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Yes he was a Freshman......A Freshman that happens to be older than the Sophmore (at the time) Faulkner. Never said I was excited, just stated a fact.

I've said other things before that post, what do you have to say to them?
More Cowbell Wrote:My goodness... Rolleyes

I disagree.......The lesson to be learned is, a team missing 2 or 3 starters (no matter the quality of the remaining starters is not the same team. Example, take Hatfield and Justice away from Valley. As for Henry Clay.......Again they barely finished above .500 last season, was only ranked on BGR, and will not win their region again this year. So, I guess the conclusion to make is that we can both make good points, it just depends on which side of the arguement you chose to take.
Respond to me reply, I want to hear it.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I've said other things before that post, what do you have to say to them?

Can you clarify or give a post number? I can't reply if I don't know which post you are talking about.