Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Anyone Be Able To Beat Shelby Valley In 15th Region?
EastKyMiner Wrote:the only team that can come close will be JC. Shelby Valley was the best team in the region last year, but they blew it. I think they go undefeted in the region this year.

I respectfully disagree! I hate to bring up last season because it is over, but if you will recall, the Tigers run SV out of the arena until the refs started calling touch fouls and got JD in foul trouble. Anyway, once SV did get back in the game due to Paintsville having to sit JD and others, I will agree with you that SV's coach blew it by holding the ball. Anyway, its over, and IMO the best team all year did what they had to do to win and they did well at Rupp as well with what amounted to a 6 man team. Enough said on that matter.

As for this year, SV is the only team that can beat SV. I don't think that they can be beat by anyone in the 15th Region unless they just come out and blow it (ie. versus Pikeville in the All A). It is their Regional Title to lose. Good luck.
IMO They will get upset by one 15th Region team. Who it is, I don't know
really it all depends on how the brackets fall... but i think sc will be a contender if they come to play... they have talent like moore, chapman, horn but dont have the coaching power to utilize it...
EKY Sportster Wrote:I respectfully disagree! I hate to bring up last season because it is over, but if you will recall, the Tigers run SV out of the arena until the refs started calling touch fouls and got JD in foul trouble. Anyway, once SV did get back in the game due to Paintsville having to sit JD and others, I will agree with you that SV's coach blew it by holding the ball. Anyway, its over, and IMO the best team all year did what they had to do to win and they did well at Rupp as well with what amounted to a 6 man team. Enough said on that matter.

As for this year, SV is the only team that can beat SV. I don't think that they can be beat by anyone in the 15th Region unless they just come out and blow it (ie. versus Pikeville in the All A). It is their Regional Title to lose. Good luck.

Oh please, don't bring up anything about touch calls in that game, that's flat out bs if you want to bring that up.
Yes---SV can be beaten by a 15th region team---it's a game---anyone can possibly win---although with a good team like SV this year it's probably unlikely they'll be beaten by a 15th region team. But it could happen---especially if SV doesn't "show up" mentally to play.

Don't count the chickens before they hatch. I look for SV to win the 15th this yr---but it won't be the most shocking thing I've ever seen if they don't....it's happened to other teams before.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Oh please, don't bring up anything about touch calls in that game, that's flat out bs if you want to bring that up.

Man don't start again this year. Get over it. Paintsville won the All A and they won the Regional. What more do you want!! But that was last year and there is no need in living in the past. I only brought it up because it was stated that SV was the best team in the region last year and blew it. Well they had two chances and they didn't prove themselves either time (All A and Regional). So that makes Paintsville the best team in the Region last year.

Howver, this year you should have plenty to brag about with your beloved SV Wildcats!Big Grin
If anyone thinks that Shelby Valley won't win the region this year is crazy!!! The only thing that can beat SV is SV.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Man don't start again this year. Get over it. Paintsville won the All A and they won the Regional. What more do you want!! But that was last year and there is no need in living in the past. I only brought it up because it was stated that SV was the best team in the region last year and blew it. Well they had two chances and they didn't prove themselves either time (All A and Regional). So that makes Paintsville the best team in the Region last year.

Howver, this year you should have plenty to brag about with your beloved SV Wildcats!Big Grin

Next 2 years, and all recent years before last ol bud.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Next 2 years, and all recent years before last ol bud.

All recent years before last? Need I remember you of Allen Central, East Ridge, and Johnson Central ALL winning region over Shelby Valley before the Paintsville win in the 07/08 season...

thetribe Wrote:All recent years before last? Need I remember you of Allen Central, East Ridge, and Johnson Central ALL winning region over Shelby Valley before the Paintsville win in the 07/08 season...

To be fair to PC you know, I think he was just saying that Shelby Valley has been pretty easily the toughest team consistently in the 15th for several years now.

I mean they're 147-24 in the 15th Region since the 99-00 season, and 57-8 in the 59th in the same period with 4 region titles.

As far as anybody beating them this year in the 15th. I doubt it will happen, but a couple teams might give them a scare or two.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Probably won't matter if SV wins the 15th or not---they'll probably be one and done at Rupp.....Refresh my memory, but every time they've gone to the Sweet Sixteen they get it handed to them the first game---0 and 4 according to the Cats Pause Yearbook.....hum!
transplanttiger Wrote:Probably won't matter if SV wins the 15th or not---they'll probably be one and done at Rupp.....Refresh my memory, but every time they've gone to the Sweet Sixteen they get it handed to them the first game---0 and 4 according to the Cats Pause Yearbook.....hum!

True. Guess it all depends on the draw. Plus, I don't think anybody would argue that this years' team appears to be the more experienced and gifted of the other teams that have made the trip.

Could be a one and out, or they could win a couple. Never know. Their tough schedule will help them come March if they make the trip to Rupp Arena.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Maybe I misunderstood that alfus. My mistake if that is the case.

Also, I would love to see ANY 15th team go into Rupp and make a run at the title. Without me going to research it, has any team as of late (if ever) from this region made it past the first round?

thetribe Wrote:Maybe I misunderstood that alfus. My mistake if that is the case.

Also, I would love to see ANY 15th team go into Rupp and make a run at the title. Without me going to research it, has any team as of late (if ever) from this region made it past the first round?

PAINTSVILLE---last season. Beat Jeffersontown in the 1st round and lost to Holmes (the runner up) in the 2nd round (Paintsville led most of that game--but kind of fell apart at the end). That's pretty recent. Before that the last 15th region team to make it past the first round------Paintsville in the 90s---they made it WAY PAST the first round---won it all in 96 and runner up in 98.......

As far as the if ever part---several 15th region teams have made noise at state and even won it all. Paintsville in the late 1980s; the Inez Indians of the 50s----2 state championships I believe....
transplanttiger Wrote:P Before that the last 15th region team to make it past the first round------Paintsville in the 90s.

:confused: Actually it was Johnson Central in 2000.

Pikeville won a game in '99.

That's about it though. No team has advanced past the 2nd round since Paintsville in the 98 though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote::confused: Actually it was Johnson Central in 2000.

Pikeville won a game in '99.

That's about it though. No team has advanced past the 2nd round since Paintsville in the 98 though.

You're right! Thanks for the correction.
Paintsville beat them last year so they'll beat them again this year!!
Go Tigers!!
Hunt13 Wrote:Paintsville beat them last year so they'll beat them again this year!!
Go Tigers!!
Smile Man that is the funniest post I've read in a long time. I know that over-zealous fans of SV like PC_You_Know make it hard for others to support SV on here, but there is no way anyone beats out SV in the 15th this year. Of course I'd like to see Paintsville beat SV, but I just call it like I see it!
PC_You_Know Wrote:Next 2 years, and all recent years before last ol bud.

I wouldn't go that far! But I will agree with you that SV has had a great deal of success in the 15th! But how many State Title banners are hanging in the gym?? Of course if you guys can get one of those, I wish you the best!! The 15th needs all of them they can get. I'd be happy to see SV just get a win at Rupp!Big Grin
transplanttiger Wrote:PAINTSVILLE---last season. Beat Jeffersontown in the 1st round and lost to Holmes (the runner up) in the 2nd round (Paintsville led most of that game--but kind of fell apart at the end).

Thank you. I didn't get to follow basketball closely last year, worked too much, so I didn't hear that they had made a run at state.

They are the biggest favorites in the 15th in a long time but you never know what can happen to a team when the pressure is on, they are a great team but upsets can happen and if they do they will be Big upsets
They are the biggest favorites in the 15th region. However, any team can be beaten on any given night. Any team can be overlooked and can result in a loss even if the losing team is the "better team". Don't get too cocky SV, losing and winning are part of the game.
SV will run away with this region this year, just in a different class. Everyone else is fighting for second.
Lets not say that SV cant be beat because anyone can be beat....and you never know whos going to Rupp this year...Yes SV is the pick but that dont always mean everything....
if they play like they can, probably not. but anything can happen.
They're the only team in the 15th that stands a chance of winning a game at Rupp, that much is for sure.

They have the size in Hatfield and Adams, and that's something that most 15th Region teams never have. That size makes a huge difference at state. Size is how Paintsville won in 1996. Size is why the 15th teams usually get destroyed on the boards at Rupp. The 15th Region teams are usually more sound, better shooting, and better coached than their opponents, but they're just too slow and too small. SV is neither.

In fact, this is the one of the few years that the 15th and 16th actually stand a chance to win state, and it'd be a very realistic chance if the KHSAA didn't allow Team Toyota to take the floor.
I'm a Jenkins fan but I can tell you Hazard can beat SV.
Lc Will Destroy Them.... Its At Lc.
sherman14 Wrote:I'm a Jenkins fan but I can tell you Hazard can beat SV.

Look at the thread topic again...

Hazard is in the 14th region. And yes, they could definitely beat SV. But that is not the topic of discussion.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
steve.hunt.13 Wrote:Lc Will Destroy Them.... Its At Lc.

The only way that happens is if SV's entire starting five gets a bad case of gastroenteritis and has to sit out the game. Big Grin
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]