Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell vs Lewis Co.
As I understand it, the districts are intermingled in the first rounds of the playoffs this year. I think the first round of the playoffs should look like this:

District 7 - 1 Seed (Russell)
District 8 - 4 Seed (Magoffin County)

District 7 - 3 Seed (East Carter)
District 8 - 2 Seed (Sheldon Clark)

District 7 - 2 Seed (Mason County)
District 8 - 3 Seed (Pike County Central)

District 7 - 4 Seed (West Carter)
District 8 - 1 Seed (Belfry)

If Mason County beats Russell, you would just interchange Mason County and Russell...which makes for a considerably tougher road....Pike County Central at home, at Belfry, either at Sheldon Clark or at Mason County, etc.
ryanparker Wrote:They finished up last year with the same three teams...only last year 2 of the games were played on the road. Last year's team came within a point of going 3-0 in these games. At least they have Mason County and Raceland at home this year! I totally agree that they need to show up ready to play for these games, though. I think the results of these games will definitively show us how this team stacks up to last year's team. The most important of the 3 games, though, is Mason County...namely because I don't think we want to play at Belfry in round 2 of the playoffs.

Yes but with the exception of maybe Mason, SK and Raceland are much much better this year.

westwoodwarrior Wrote:i thought the first two playoff games were within the district?
i maybe wrong though

Went back to the old format where 1v4 and 2v3 from another district. District Champion is now decided in the regular season.
DevilsWin Wrote:Well I hope not because Montgomery Co is in Class 5A, District 6!:lmao:

Red Devils will still crush them anyways lol.
Red Devils by as much as they want in this one. I see the Jv getting alot of experience tonight.
The College One Wrote:Red Devils by as much as they want in this one. I see the Jv getting alot of experience tonight.

might wanna check the date again.
Beetle01 Wrote:No personnel changes, just attitude changes in the line. They seem to take too many plays off. They did do much better against LC, but LC also didn't load the box with 9 or 10 guys such as Ashland did until later in the game, then you saw our offense sputter. Of course we ran the same play 20 or more times so eventually the D will catch on. I just think the Oline can do even better if they don't take plays off.

I agree 100%, the line seems to be taking plays off during the game. I don't know if it is because of fatigue or just pure laziness. Either way, every player should play every down like it is the last down they will ever play. Also IMO almost everyone on the field just "grazes" around like they don't wanna be on the field. These boys need to get hyped up and act like they wanna be there, instead of acting like it is a hassle to be out there on friday nights. ALWAYS take pride in being a RED DEIVL!:devilflam:devilflam
red devils
kybaseball Wrote:Actually there were 5 kids offered scholar ships.Lewis has ALWAYS had good athletes the problem is most of them are walking the halls because of the "Good Ole Boys Club". :mad:

Any way good luck to both teams hope no injuries to either side.:Thumbs:

Shaw was also offered a scholarship to some colleges but he chose to go to berea to play baseball instead.
ukfanatic_37 Wrote:Okay kybaseball, maybe you're right. But lets face it, Lewis County has never or will ever be able to play on Russell's level or Mason County's level for that matter. Don't get me wrong, Lewis definately has the talent, there are some kids on that team that are phenomenal, but a player is only as good as his coach or lack thereof, again, I'm not bashing the coach, but lets remember the football program is also controlled by the "Good Ole' Boys Club" too. Look at what they did to the previous coach, and by the way, he did manage to have 3 or 4 wins when he was there and what about the two boys that ended up with scholarships to play college football? UMMMMMM, lot to think about, don't ya think?

First of all the "good ole boys club" are all former players at lewis co and they want what is best for the program. And the previous coach knew his stuff as a coach, but there was just 1 problem. He couldnt get anybody to come out and play. they had 18 players last year. They was barely able to keep a football program lat year. And the current coach is a good coach. He has good relationship swith his players and he does as much as he can for the team. The reason that Lewis isn't winning is bc they have the worst o-line in the area. If there was any protection at all for the qb then they would be around .500 every year. The o-line has always been a problem for lc. Nothing the coach can do for lack of size on the o-line and as a team overall. LC is almost always the smallest team on the field. And they have a great weightlifting program which should help if the kids would start early.
Well said, what big boys Lewis County does have are just walking the halls..They are too lazy to come play football..
WannaBeaBalla Wrote:First of all the "good ole boys club" are all former players at lewis co and they want what is best for the program. And the previous coach knew his stuff as a coach, but there was just 1 problem. He couldnt get anybody to come out and play. they had 18 players last year. They was barely able to keep a football program lat year. And the current coach is a good coach. He has good relationship swith his players and he does as much as he can for the team. The reason that Lewis isn't winning is bc they have the worst o-line in the area. If there was any protection at all for the qb then they would be around .500 every year. The o-line has always been a problem for lc. Nothing the coach can do for lack of size on the o-line and as a team overall. LC is almost always the smallest team on the field. And they have a great weightlifting program which should help if the kids would start early.

I agree the new coach is a great guy,the kids love him and he is a good guy to talk to.

I disagree about the "Good Old Boys Club." They are not all former players and they want the best for the program and they want to win but with only the ones they want to win with.Their best for the program hasn't worked for 50 years and never will. What ever happed to the developement of younger players? I know it's hard because of the "Daddy factor" at the lower levels and sometime the upper levels. They yell about no talent but just how many of them there really know how to develope talent?
WannaBeaBalla Wrote:Shaw was also offered a scholarship to some colleges but he chose to go to berea to play baseball instead.

That Shaw kid is a heck of a Baseball player.He can flat pitch a baseball.I wish him the best at Berea he's just a great all around kid.
Sounds to me like Lewis needs a coahc to tell the "Good Ole Boys" if they want to support the team they can be part of the boosters. Other than that they need to stay out of it. Instead of complaining maybe they themsleves should be involved in the developmental leagues and also talking to kids and families on a regular basis about getting the kids to come out and play. Maybe doing some car pooling after practice for those who live too far away otherwise.

Also if most of them are former players who are they to complain about anything? When was the last time Lewis even had a decent team? I'm sure they are the kind of guys who think they would have went pro if they didn't live in Lewis, but in all honesty would have struggled to get minutes at most other area HS teams.
Lewis "will" score but thats about all. Russell will score alot more.
Beetle01 Wrote:Sounds to me like Lewis needs a coahc to tell the "Good Ole Boys" if they want to support the team they can be part of the boosters. Other than that they need to stay out of it. Instead of complaining maybe they themsleves should be involved in the developmental leagues and also talking to kids and families on a regular basis about getting the kids to come out and play. Maybe doing some car pooling after practice for those who live too far away otherwise.

Also if most of them are former players who are they to complain about anything? When was the last time Lewis even had a decent team? I'm sure they are the kind of guys who think they would have went pro if they didn't live in Lewis, but in all honesty would have struggled to get minutes at most other area HS teams.

Right on Beetle.:rockon: .From what I understand it's hard for a regular person to land a coaching job in a lot of sports because the arm of the "Good Old Boys" reaches a long way out there.And has a tremendous amount of power.

It looks to me that the parents need to stick together.

There have been some very talented player at Lewis over the years,and there still is.Some that have "Good Old Boys connections have had some reconizition and the others sorry .

If some of the stuff came out on what goes on would turn your stomach.
On a positive note they are some great people from Lewis and even more so the kids are great.

Good luck to both teams.
kybaseball Wrote:Right on Beetle.:rockon: .From what I understand it's hard for a regular person to land a coaching job in a lot of sports because the arm of the "Good Old Boys" reaches a long way out there.And has a tremendous amount of power.

It looks to me that the parents need to stick together.

There have been some very talented player at Lewis over the years,and there still is.Some that have "Good Old Boys connections have had some reconizition and the others sorry .

If some of the stuff came out on what goes on would turn your stomach.

Could be why a lot of teams that should be good aren't. Not just anyone can be a successful coach, especially if they are part of the "good ole boys".
You guys made some great points, especially you Beetle!!! I agreee with ya on that one.

Much luck to the Lions tomorrow night, I hope that they at least put a score up on the board, frankly, next weeks game with Fleming interests me more.
ryanparker Wrote:As I understand it, the districts are intermingled in the first rounds of the playoffs this year. I think the first round of the playoffs should look like this:

District 7 - 1 Seed (Russell)
District 8 - 4 Seed (Magoffin County)

District 7 - 3 Seed (East Carter)
District 8 - 2 Seed (Sheldon Clark)

District 7 - 2 Seed (Mason County)
District 8 - 3 Seed (Pike County Central)

District 7 - 4 Seed (West Carter)
District 8 - 1 Seed (Belfry)

If Mason County beats Russell, you would just interchange Mason County and Russell...which makes for a considerably tougher road....Pike County Central at home, at Belfry, either at Sheldon Clark or at Mason County, etc.

You are looking at Sheldon Clark or Belfry playing Breathitt or Estill IMO in the semi's. Belfry and SC are more physical than Mason which could hurt Mason.
ukfanatic_37 Wrote:You guys made some great points, especially you Beetle!!! I agreee with ya on that one.

Much luck to the Lions tomorrow night, I hope that they at least put a score up on the board, frankly, next weeks game with Fleming interests me more.

I hope they score as well.They might because the coach to his credit has changed some things and they are playing better.Good luck to the Lions as well.

Beetle tells it like it is.:Thumbs:
Russell will cruise until they meet Belfry to Sheldon Clark
"good ole boys club" that the perfect name. i wonder how long that list could go ?Wink Smile WinkConfusedhh:
qbdad2011 Wrote:Russell will cruise until they meet Belfry to Sheldon Clark

Russell has three games againts Simon Kenton, Mason County and Raceland Following the Lewis County game. That is hardly a schedule to cruise through. It is a schedule that will make a team better though.

When and if Russell plays Belfry or Sheldon Clark neither one of those teams would overwhelm them. In fact they might even lose.
Confusedhh: Confusedecret:
FBALL Wrote:Russell has three games againts Simon Kenton, Mason County and Raceland Following the Lewis County game. That is hardly a schedule to cruise through. It is a schedule that will make a team better though.

When and if Russell plays Belfry or Sheldon Clark neither one of those teams would overwhelm them. In fact they might even lose.

I'd put any of these 3 teams against anyone in 3A and like my chances.

Russell will be ready for play-offs. They do need to win at least 2 of these last 3 games to get some confidence.

If I were gonna pick the one to loose it would be the Simon Kenton game.

But I am hopeful that Russell can win all 3!
DevilsWin Wrote:I'd put any of these 3 teams against anyone in 3A and like my chances.

Russell will be ready for play-offs. They do need to win at least 2 of these last 3 games to get some confidence.

If I were gonna pick the one to loose it would be the Simon Kenton game.

But I am hopeful that Russell can win all 3!

i agree with the part about the playoffs.....russell will be ready for the playoffs, they usually are i belive that these games will help russell prepare for the playoffs
Russell will win with ease, & we will even see the freshman team playing in this game. But Russell better get there heads on straight for the last three games cause none of those 3 teams are push overs and can very easily beat Russell. Good luck to both teams Friday night.
kybaseball Wrote:I hope they score as well.They might because the coach to his credit has changed some things and they are playing better.Good luck to the Lions as well.

Beetle tells it like it is.:Thumbs:
What did he change? You mention this several times in your posts? Curious
Bub Lewis Wrote:What did he change? You mention this several times in your posts? Curious

You haven't seen? Play calling, minor personel changes just to name a few.
Unfortuately my work keeps me from going to the games. You can fill me in. Thanks : )