Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell vs Lewis Co.
I totally agree with Beetle. Russell neminses is there tackling. For one, They don't practice tackling at all and never have. They wont let the boys hit at all during practices to work on tackling and it SHOWS terrible. This game with Lewis Co. will NOT be a test, just a game to get all players on the field for one last time. Russell had better make some changes on the Offesive line or SK, Mason, and Raceland will exploit the weekness. And SK 's Simpson and Raceland's Carver will show them how not to tackle. This team has the talent but just cannot seem to get it together. To much bickerin and "I" player instead of "TEAM". Leaders need to step up and put a foot where it belongs on those that wont.
Another disadvantage of the middle school teams and lower numbers. I remember in JFL we did tackling drills throughout the entire season. We all knew how to do one thing if nothing else, and that was make a tackle. Russell never does tackling drills, so once you start your Freshman season, you better hope the kid knows how to tackle or he won't ever learn. It seems that with the move to MS teams they do less tackling drills for fear of getting players hurt.

This team needs to do Oklahoma drills among other drills about a hour everyday until the playoffs start.
pitchfork Wrote:I totally agree with Beetle. Russell neminses is there tackling. For one, They don't practice tackling at all and never have. They wont let the boys hit at all during practices to work on tackling and it SHOWS terrible. This game with Lewis Co. will NOT be a test, just a game to get all players on the field for one last time. Russell had better make some changes on the Offesive line or SK, Mason, and Raceland will exploit the weekness. And SK 's Simpson and Raceland's Carver will show them how not to tackle. This team has the talent but just cannot seem to get it together. To much bickerin and "I" player instead of "TEAM". Leaders need to step up and put a foot where it belongs on those that wont.

Where is the leadership gonna come from?
Beetle01 Wrote:Another disadvantage of the middle school teams and lower numbers. I remember in JFL we did tackling drills throughout the entire season. We all knew how to do one thing if nothing else, and that was make a tackle. Russell never does tackling drills, so once you start your Freshman season, you better hope the kid knows how to tackle or he won't ever learn. It seems that with the move to MS teams they do less tackling drills for fear of getting players hurt.

This team needs to do Oklahoma drills among other drills about a hour everyday until the playoffs start.

The Russell/Flatwoods JFL program is but a shadow of it's former self. As is declines so will the Varsity program.

All you need to see for proof is the baseball team.
ukfanatic_37 Wrote:Russell will simply slaughter Lewis County. If everyone thought that Lewis losing to Mason a few weeks ago was bad, just wait until Russell gets a hold of them this Friday. I predict Rusell will win 76-0

That won't happen not that Russell couldn't do that.. Ivan :rockon: has to much class to do that to a team.:dontthink
Okay kybaseball, maybe you're right. But lets face it, Lewis County has never or will ever be able to play on Russell's level or Mason County's level for that matter. Don't get me wrong, Lewis definately has the talent, there are some kids on that team that are phenomenal, but a player is only as good as his coach or lack thereof, again, I'm not bashing the coach, but lets remember the football program is also controlled by the "Good Ole' Boys Club" too. Look at what they did to the previous coach, and by the way, he did manage to have 3 or 4 wins when he was there and what about the two boys that ended up with scholarships to play college football? UMMMMMM, lot to think about, don't ya think?
I just lost a little respect for Russell. They don't do tackling drills b/c of being afraid of injurys.:yikes:
uktailgaiter Wrote:I just lost a little respect for Russell. They don't do tackling drills b/c of being afraid of injurys.:yikes:
Lets hope they earn that respect this friday!
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
ukfanatic_37 Wrote:Okay kybaseball, maybe you're right. But lets face it, Lewis County has never or will ever be able to play on Russell's level or Mason County's level for that matter. Don't get me wrong, Lewis definately has the talent, there are some kids on that team that are phenomenal, but a player is only as good as his coach or lack thereof, again, I'm not bashing the coach, but lets remember the football program is also controlled by the "Good Ole' Boys Club" too. Look at what they did to the previous coach, and by the way, he did manage to have 3 or 4 wins when he was there and what about the two boys that ended up with scholarships to play college football? UMMMMMM, lot to think about, don't ya think?

Actually there were 5 kids offered scholar ships.Lewis has ALWAYS had good athletes the problem is most of them are walking the halls because of the "Good Ole Boys Club". :mad:

Any way good luck to both teams hope no injuries to either side.:Thumbs:
uktailgaiter Wrote:I just lost a little respect for Russell. They don't do tackling drills b/c of being afraid of injurys.:yikes:

Dude don't make Russell mad. It's going to bad enough for the other team.They do have 2 State titles the other team Smile Smile Smile not even close.
My bad, i was referring to the boys that graduated last year. I am assuming you're talking about the 3 boys from the previous year, Jordan, Dyer and Lyons. None of them are even playing college ball now. Thanks for the corrections
:devilflam :devilflam :devilflam LMAO, go ahead there uktailgater, wake the sleeping demons.:devilflam :devilflam :devilflam
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
ukfanatic_37 Wrote:Okay kybaseball, maybe you're right. But lets face it, Lewis County has never or will ever be able to play on Russell's level or Mason County's level for that matter. Don't get me wrong, Lewis definately has the talent, there are some kids on that team that are phenomenal, but a player is only as good as his coach or lack thereof, again, I'm not bashing the coach, but lets remember the football program is also controlled by the "Good Ole' Boys Club" too. Look at what they did to the previous coach, and by the way, he did manage to have 3 or 4 wins when he was there and what about the two boys that ended up with scholarships to play college football? UMMMMMM, lot to think about, don't ya think?
Wow....I'm a Lewis Fan and I didn't know this was all going on. I thought the last coach left because he wanted a better opportunities for his family or something like that? Problems like this are usually what keep teams like Lewis County from developing into a respectable program. Maybe the administration or coaching staff should visit a place like Mason and Russell to see how they do things and see what they can learn from them and develop their program like theirs. Just a thought.
pitchfork Wrote:I totally agree with Beetle. Russell neminses is there tackling. For one, They don't practice tackling at all and never have. They wont let the boys hit at all during practices to work on tackling and it SHOWS terrible. This game with Lewis Co. will NOT be a test, just a game to get all players on the field for one last time. Russell had better make some changes on the Offesive line or SK, Mason, and Raceland will exploit the weekness. And SK 's Simpson and Raceland's Carver will show them how not to tackle. This team has the talent but just cannot seem to get it together. To much bickerin and "I" player instead of "TEAM". Leaders need to step up and put a foot where it belongs on those that wont.

What changes on the line do you suggest?
Bub Lewis, you hit the nail on the head with the last part of your comment. But, the fact of the matter is, until Lewis Co. gets itself a coach who will go by his own rules and not the rules of............you guessed it, "Good Ole' Boys Club" Lewis will never be the contender that it could be. The last coach left because he was "forced out" by the powers that be. I know this for a fact. I knew the coach personally and you would never find a more caring individual than he was. He truly cared and he played the ones who put out the effort in practice, not the ones whose "daddies" run the entire athletic department in that school system.
Now, the LC 8th grade football team has got about 5 or 6 OUTSTANDING players and two of the best running backs in this area. They are HIGHLY TALENTED and played every minute of every game, almost. There are players coming into the football program next year and with the right kind of coaching, LC has the potential to be a contender by the time these 8th graders are juniors, but we need coaches who will do whatever it takes to win and NOT coaches who have been put there to keep the "Good Ole Boys" happy.
Bub Lewis Wrote:Wow....I'm a Lewis Fan and I didn't know this was all going on. I thought the last coach left because he wanted a better opportunities for his family or something like that? Problems like this are usually what keep teams like Lewis County from developing into a respectable program. Maybe the administration or coaching staff should visit a place like Mason and Russell to see how they do things and see what they can learn from them and develop their program like theirs. Just a thought.

You make some good points. "The Good Ole Boys" will never let that happen.:dontthink If a coach gets to sucessful then he becomes to hard to Control.
ukfanatic_37 Wrote:Bub Lewis, you hit the nail on the head with the last part of your comment. But, the fact of the matter is, until Lewis Co. gets itself a coach who will go by his own rules and not the rules of............you guessed it, "Good Ole' Boys Club" Lewis will never be the contender that it could be. The last coach left because he was "forced out" by the powers that be. I know this for a fact. I knew the coach personally and you would never find a more caring individual than he was. He truly cared and he played the ones who put out the effort in practice, not the ones whose "daddies" run the entire athletic department in that school system.
Now, the LC 8th grade football team has got about 5 or 6 OUTSTANDING players and two of the best running backs in this area. They are HIGHLY TALENTED and played every minute of every game, almost. There are players coming into the football program next year and with the right kind of coaching, LC has the potential to be a contender by the time these 8th graders are juniors, but we need coaches who will do whatever it takes to win and NOT coaches who have been put there to keep the "Good Ole Boys" happy.

This problem is in other sports as well. And the daddy factor is flat out ridiculous.
ukfanatic_37 Wrote:My bad, i was referring to the boys that graduated last year. I am assuming you're talking about the 3 boys from the previous year, Jordan, Dyer and Lyons. None of them are even playing college ball now. Thanks for the corrections

There was another one Boyer ,Bonner or something like that.
Yes you 're right kybaseball. And the "daddy" factor is indeed prevalent in ALL LC sports, right down to the pee wees........ It's so sickening
Boo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's All Cry!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lmao
Now now everybody there are just trying to win. And doing the best they can. If Lewis sends someone to Russell I vote to kidnapp Ivan.:rockon:

Seriously our current coach is one of the nicest guys you could meet. I think he will do fine in a few years if the Good Old Boys leave him alone.He has made some adjustments and they are playing better.
If you think the score will get out of hand what do you suggest to keep it to a minimum?

1.Keep every snap until right before a delay of game.

2. RUN RUN RUN.

3. ETC...
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
jgrubby Wrote:If you think the score will get out of hand what do you suggest to keep it to a minimum?

1.Keep every snap until right before a delay of game.

2. RUN RUN RUN.

3. ETC...

C'mon Grubby everybody knows it will get out of hand down there.:Thumbs:
True but I hate to see a post where there is no "fight in a dog". Lewis may make the Devils think they are something they aren't. So many of the teams here are being weakened by opponents that give them a false sense of being able to hang. Belfry is going to have a big awakening when they meet Johnson Central. If Russell thinks the Ashland game is tough wait until Simon Kenton. Just don't like the schedules for all the teams. They are not challenging enough for a very good ball club such as Belfry, Sheldon Clark, or Russell. Some get completly hammered. While other just stroll right on into playoffs with a false sense of security.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
I agree, I tried to make the schedule point in other post.These teams need to be challeged.It would be great for Russell to be allowed to schedule some Ohio teams.They are closer and a lot better competetion than most of the away games Russell has played this season.No disrespect to Ashland but if Russell were allowed to schedule tougher team prior the that game it would have been a different game.
kybaseball Wrote:I agree, I tried to make the schedule point in other post.These teams need to be challeged.It would be great for Russell to be allowed to schedule some Ohio teams.They are closer and a lot better competetion than most of the away games Russell has played this season.No disrespect to Ashland but if Russell were allowed to schedule tougher team prior the that game it would have been a different game.
Next year we have Ironton.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
jgrubby Wrote:Next year we have Ironton.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!
Devil09 Wrote:What changes on the line do you suggest?

No personnel changes, just attitude changes in the line. They seem to take too many plays off. They did do much better against LC, but LC also didn't load the box with 9 or 10 guys such as Ashland did until later in the game, then you saw our offense sputter. Of course we ran the same play 20 or more times so eventually the D will catch on. I just think the Oline can do even better if they don't take plays off.

jgrubby Wrote:True but I hate to see a post where there is no "fight in a dog". Lewis may make the Devils think they are something they aren't. So many of the teams here are being weakened by opponents that give them a false sense of being able to hang. Belfry is going to have a big awakening when they meet Johnson Central. If Russell thinks the Ashland game is tough wait until Simon Kenton. Just don't like the schedules for all the teams. They are not challenging enough for a very good ball club such as Belfry, Sheldon Clark, or Russell. Some get completly hammered. While other just stroll right on into playoffs with a false sense of security.

I don't think the Russell players will walk away from the Lewis game thinging they are ready to win a state championship. We won't know where this team stands until after week 10. The last 3 games of this season may be the toughest 3 game stretch I can remember for a Russell team. The players should really pride themselves on trying to win all 3 and making a statement to all those doubters this season. Also, make a statement for the playoffs that teams better be ready to strap it on when the Russell team is lined up across from them at 7:30 on a Friday night.
Beetle01 Wrote:The last 3 games of this season may be the toughest 3 game stretch I can remember for a Russell team.

They finished up last year with the same three teams...only last year 2 of the games were played on the road. Last year's team came within a point of going 3-0 in these games. At least they have Mason County and Raceland at home this year! I totally agree that they need to show up ready to play for these games, though. I think the results of these games will definitively show us how this team stacks up to last year's team. The most important of the 3 games, though, is Mason County...namely because I don't think we want to play at Belfry in round 2 of the playoffs.
ryanparker Wrote:They finished up last year with the same three teams...only last year 2 of the games were played on the road. Last year's team came within a point of going 3-0 in these games. At least they have Mason County and Raceland at home this year! I totally agree that they need to show up ready to play for these games, though. I think the results of these games will definitively show us how this team stacks up to last year's team. The most important of the 3 games, though, is Mason County...namely because I don't think we want to play at Belfry in round 2 of the playoffs.

i thought the first two playoff games were within the district?
i maybe wrong though