Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Powell County
25.64%
Estill County
74.36%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill County vs. Powell County - Sept. 12
MR. NOBODY Wrote:I feel the same way.:letsfight
But I am just wondering shouldnt your name be Piratefan22 instead of bobcatfan22 cause you only talk about Powell and are at there games.:confused:

lol yeah i was trying to be a decoy but it didnt work out that way. Big Grin
bobcatfan22 Wrote:lol yeah i was trying to be a decoy but it didnt work out that way. Big Grin

LOL :lmao:
This will be a tough game for estill but they wont come away with the win.
36-26.
bobcatfan22 Wrote:lol yeah i was trying to be a decoy but it didnt work out that way. Big Grin

You think? Cool
Friday night will be a great game whoever wins is on top of the disrict.
MR. NOBODY Wrote:
Estill is very strong and are much faster than people think. The D for the NEERS is very much improved like NIECE said and 15 of those 22 points were on JV players so that means VARSITY only gave up 7. To the offense side part of the NEERS the can only stop themselves. Powell has very much improved also on both sides of the ball but i dont think it will be enough. I dont think Powells D-line will be able to take the punishment from Estills O-line all night long. Just remember this game will be played at ESTILL. Good luck to both teams.

Estill's varsity squad has given up two scores on the year, one to Pineville, and one to Bourbon.
The 7 to Pineville was at the hand of the JV.
Grid Iron fan Wrote:The 7 to Pineville was at the hand of the JV.

Thinking back, you are correct.
I think that if Powell beats Estill it will be because of Powell's passing offense against a weak secondary. Rice will have to show up tho. Sometimes he doesn't. He will have the most pressure to perform well here than any other time in his career. Powell's defense must keep up the good work. Look to see Jesse Rose catching the ball more rather than taking many hand offs.
This will be a tough game for Powell, but in a rivalry like this you never know what can happen. I have seen many upsets in my days where teams were favored 30+ in a rivalry game and lose. Good luck to both teams.
walkon20 Wrote:I think that if Powell beats Estill it will be because of Powell's passing offense against a weak secondary. Rice will have to show up tho. Sometimes he doesn't. He will have the most pressure to perform well here than any other time in his career. Powell's defense must keep up the good work. Look to see Jesse Rose catching the ball more rather than taking many hand offs.

Estill is looking pretty good. Rice has to be ready to throw and Rose has to hit the holes- sometimes he is weak there. I think I have to go with Estill, but I like to see underdogs do well, tho. Should be a good game. Wink
I don't think it's going to matter whether the Pirates come out airing it out, pounding the run, or mixing it up, Estill's defense has been too tough, and their offense is as always one of the top ground games in the state. This team seems to have tremendous focus and will not overlook the Pirates.
RuffBaller Wrote:i have been inattendance to all of Powell's games this year and what i have seen is good. They have improved tremendously since last year. I believe that those engineers will have a game on their hands, but i believe that those Pirates have three times the heart estill has and just as much talent. If Powell County comes out and lays it all on the line and plays their ***'s of then I think they will leave Irvine with a big W.

Powell--36
Estill--27

I know how excited Powell must be to be 2-0 for the first time, but the competition each have played thus far doesn't compare. Estill's defense is probably the best it has been since Jones started coaching here. Powell will not score unless something very strange happens or Estill puts in the JV. Their first two games have been over by half. Look for Estill to put 40+ on the board with the ground and pound, they already have close to 1000 yds rushing in two games. They are big, strong, and fast. I don't think it will be like 2003 when Estill scored every time they had the ball, but I do believe Estill's first test comes against a struggling Bobcat team and this will be Powell's first test against Estill. Powell has improved tremendously and I have respect for a couple of their coaches who work hard with what they have. Powell has some really fine boys on the team and so does Estill. I wish them both the best of luck and hope it is a good clean rivalry. It would be nice to see Estill and Powell finish 1 and 2 in the district with the schools being so close. But I pick Estill big, too much experience and a very improved defense. They will be in the QB's face all night IMO.
Lucky13 Wrote:I don't think it's going to matter whether the Pirates come out airing it out, pounding the run, or mixing it up, Estill's defense has been too tough, and their offense is as always one of the top ground games in the state. This team seems to have tremendous focus and will not overlook the Pirates.

Shocking what the defense has done thus far. They should be good, they are big and fast and vey disciplined from what I hear. I agree with you Lucky.
UKLover Wrote:This will be a tough game for Powell, but in a rivalry like this you never know what can happen. I have seen many upsets in my days where teams were favored 30+ in a rivalry game and lose. Good luck to both teams.

Absolutely right, rivalry games you can everything out the window. I was at the Powell and Estill game in 2004. Estill was up 10 or 12 pts. with two minutes to go and lost. That I guess is why you play 48 minutes.
Estill by 3 tds
red_devils_rule Wrote:This game will be close and i think should be the ganme of the week,,Estill by a td

I believe the game of the week is Danville and Boyle Co. Coach French has Boyle back on the prowl and the Ads are always tough.
NIECE Wrote:I know how excited Powell must be to be 2-0 for the first time, but the competition each have played thus far doesn't compare. Estill's defense is probably the best it has been since Jones started coaching here. Powell will not score unless something very strange happens or Estill puts in the JV. Their first two games have been over by half. Look for Estill to put 40+ on the board with the ground and pound, they already have close to 1000 yds rushing in two games. They are big, strong, and fast. I don't think it will be like 2003 when Estill scored every time they had the ball, but I do believe Estill's first test comes against a struggling Bobcat team and this will be Powell's first test against Estill. Powell has improved tremendously and I have respect for a couple of their coaches who work hard with what they have. Powell has some really fine boys on the team and so does Estill. I wish them both the best of luck and hope it is a good clean rivalry. It would be nice to see Estill and Powell finish 1 and 2 in the district with the schools being so close. But I pick Estill big, too much experience and a very improved defense. They will be in the QB's face all night IMO.

this is not the first time powell has been 2-0, they started 3-0 in 05' the last time they have achieved this, and have done it several times before. who ever has cooler heads will win. estill has no respect for powell as in 07 when they won they slid across the field on senior night, but thats the past i hope powell wins, im not going to lie. this rivalry is always ugly, unsportmanlike, immature, its going to happen, who ever can get past this will win. trash talking and alot of penalties will come when they meet. hopefully fan control will be there as well, remember coach, they are YOUR fans.
Lucky13 Wrote:Estill's varsity squad has given up two scores on the year, one to Pineville, and one to Bourbon.

I think Powell has only given up 6 or 12 on varsity. I know Jackson returned a kickoff back for a TD. I think some of the varsity was in on Jackson's other score. Morgan scored late in the 4th Qrtr. v/s the JV. I know you are probably saying: Jackson & Morgan aren't that good. Well, Pineville & Bourbon aren't very good either. Go Pirates!!!!!!!!
:redboxer:
stroked Wrote:this is not the first time powell has been 2-0, they started 3-0 in 05' the last time they have achieved this, and have done it several times before. who ever has cooler heads will win. estill has no respect for powell as in 07 when they won they slid across the field on senior night, but thats the past i hope powell wins, im not going to lie. this rivalry is always ugly, unsportmanlike, immature, its going to happen, who ever can get past this will win. trash talking and alot of penalties will come when they meet. hopefully fan control will be there as well, remember coach, they are YOUR fans.
I knew Powell had started off 2-0 & 3-0 before. I didn't have the dates though. I'd say they have done it more time than that.
stroked Wrote:estill has no respect for powell as in 07 when they won they slid across the field on senior night, but thats the past i hope powell wins, im not going to lie. this rivalry is always ugly, unsportmanlike, immature, its going to happen, who ever can get past this will win. trash talking and alot of penalties will come when they meet. hopefully fan control will be there as well, remember coach, they are YOUR fans.

And you think Powell has respect for Estill? I don't think so. I agree that this game tends to bring out the worst in players and fans. But most rivalry games do. Good Luck Estill.
Any rivalry game tends to get out of control. Players on both teams are dying to beat their rivals. Estill county does have the advantage here with them being at home. Powell county does not have school that day and i hear coach whitaker is going to have them show up early and begin getting very prepared for consideraly for both teams, the biggest game of the season just due to the 10-15 minute drive from stanton to irvine. I just want to see hard nosed football and let the best team win. From what im hearing, the big part of this game will be both defenses. I know powell counties isn't too bad this year and im hearing estill is pretty darn good too. I just cant wait for kickoff on friday night. Good luck Pirates!!!!

:letsparty
bobcatfan22 Wrote:Powell county does not have school that day and i hear coach whitaker is going to have them show up early and begin getting very prepared for consideraly for both teams, the biggest game of the season just due to the 10-15 minute drive from stanton to irvine.

:letsparty

Why is Powell Co. out of school?
stroked Wrote:this is not the first time powell has been 2-0, they started 3-0 in 05' the last time they have achieved this, and have done it several times before. who ever has cooler heads will win. estill has no respect for powell as in 07 when they won they slid across the field on senior night, but thats the past i hope powell wins, im not going to lie. this rivalry is always ugly, unsportmanlike, immature, its going to happen, who ever can get past this will win. trash talking and alot of penalties will come when they meet. hopefully fan control will be there as well, remember coach, they are YOUR fans.

I apologize, that is what I have been told by one of their coaches. I know Estill's old coach would not let his players slide across the field, it is disrespectful. But on the other hand it really never was a rival with him because he never lost to them, the games were not even close. Powell first beat Estill I think around the 99 or 2000 season.
blitz43 Wrote:I think Powell has only given up 6 or 12 on varsity. I know Jackson returned a kickoff back for a TD. I think some of the varsity was in on Jackson's other score. Morgan scored late in the 4th Qrtr. v/s the JV. I know you are probably saying: Jackson & Morgan aren't that good. Well, Pineville & Bourbon aren't very good either. Go Pirates!!!!!!!!

Man Pineville or Bourbon would beat either Jackson or Morgan. Estill destroyed Jackson and only played their starters two series. I know how bad Morgan is a good buddy of mine told me. I haven't seen Jackson but they did beat Betsy Layne, I know it is not a big feat, but it is good for Jackson before they start district play and don't win.
blitz43 Wrote:I think Powell has only given up 6 or 12 on varsity. I know Jackson returned a kickoff back for a TD. I think some of the varsity was in on Jackson's other score. Morgan scored late in the 4th Qrtr. v/s the JV. I know you are probably saying: Jackson & Morgan aren't that good. Well, Pineville & Bourbon aren't very good either. Go Pirates!!!!!!!!

I guarantee Pineville and Bourbon would beat Jackson and Morgan, but i really hope Powell is as good as you're saying because Estill needs a challenge before they play Breathitt.
:Thumbs:
ecqb8 Wrote:I guarantee Pineville and Bourbon would beat Jackson and Morgan, but i really hope Powell is as good as you're saying because Estill needs a challenge before they play Breathitt.
Nobody said Estill "wouldn't" beat Jackson or Morgan. I also guarentee that Estill would win. I am just stating that you all talk about how good Estill's "D" is.....Anybody's "D" would be good playing the schools Estill & Powell has played thus far. After each team has played a "good" school, get on here and talk about their "D". That's all I was saying.
blitz43 Wrote:Nobody said Estill "wouldn't" beat Jackson or Morgan. I also guarentee that Estill would win. I am just stating that you all talk about how good Estill's "D" is.....Anybody's "D" would be good playing the schools Estill & Powell has played thus far. After each team has played a "good" school, get on here and talk about their "D". That's all I was saying.

I think you took that the wrong way. All that was said is that they hoped Powell was as good as you all are saying. Both teams could use a good challenge before going into a tough game the following week.
The rivalry is always a great one and Powell and Estill play with all they have. Defense will be a factor but determination will be the greatest factor.

Good luck to both teams!