Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Middle School Baseball
NEXT Wrote:Because he will not turn 19 until after his senior year starts.

That kid will be -

15 in 8th grade

16 in 9th grade

17 in 10th grade

18 in 11th grade

19 in September of 12th grade.

He is a legal 7th grader because he ill not turn 19 until AFTER August 1st his senior year.

IMVHO all kids should turn 13 in the 6th grade, or be 13 BEFORE schools starts in 7th grade.................

We know your honest opinion NEXT. You would have half the team stay back.
BMSPirateMom #11 Wrote:We know your honest opinion NEXT. You would have half the team stay back.

No you don't, if you did you would know I would want all of them to stay backSmile:rockon:
Who are some of the good ball players coming up in the 7th and 8th grade right now?
NEXT Wrote:No you don't, if you did you would know I would want all of them to stay backSmile:rockon:

I can't believe all!!!
Well theres Gavin Miller, Randy Maynard, and a few other pretty good 8th graders and 7th graders that will be playin this year it shold be an intersting year because this team or i should say the people who r tryin out look pretty dag on good.
B-E-L-I-E-V-E Wrote:Well theres Gavin Miller, Randy Maynard, and a few other pretty good 8th graders and 7th graders that will be playin this year it shold be an intersting year because this team or i should say the people who r tryin out look pretty dag on good.
Miller needs to improve swinging the bat and on hitting his spots as a pticher. Maynard isn't the greatest hitter in the world but is a decent cather, with a weak arm. And not really anyone else comes to mind, As far as very talented players goes. They should have a solid team this year, but it hurts that their best hitter and glove and one of the better pitchers had to transfer.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Miller needs to improve swinging the bat and on hitting his spots as a pticher. Maynard isn't the greatest hitter in the world but is a decent catcher, with a weak arm. And not really anyone else comes to mind, As far as very talented players goes. They should have a solid team this year, but it hurts that their best hitter and glove and one of the better pitchers had to transfer.
Nothing against those kids, but it's JMO and I believe they will improve and get stronger thanks to the new Jr. High program. One thing a Jr. High program does for a school is it allows coaches to pick up on errors early and work on correcting them, so that when they get to the high school level instead on working on problems, they can work on improving the good skills they already have. I think that at the Middle School level it is more important to work on the weak points in one's game than it is anything else. But Pikeville is always gifted with pretty good baseball talent and they definitely have the potential to be one of the best in the region in time.
B-E-L-I-E-V-E Wrote:Well theres Gavin Miller, Randy Maynard, and a few other pretty good 8th graders and 7th graders that will be playin this year it shold be an intersting year because this team or i should say the people who r tryin out look pretty dag on good.
Are Josh and Jared Tackett going to come out?
Sammy's son, Jacob, is in the 6th grade at Pikeville Elementary.
Skeeter1 Wrote:Sammy's son, Jacob, is in the 6th grade at Pikeville Elementary.

So does that mean he will be the coach? Is he even interested? Who else are viable candidates?
Panther Thunder Wrote:Are Josh and Jared Tackett going to come out?

Well what i have heard they r going to. This doesnt mean anything because im not certain. If they do it will help the team.
Sammy Hamilton will be the coach.
Skeeter1 Wrote:Sammy Hamilton will be the coach.
Has the school already announced it?
Skeeter1 Wrote:Sammy's son, Jacob, is in the 6th grade at Pikeville Elementary.

This brings up a good point! I'm wwondering how many of the middle schools in this area allow 6th graders to play middle school sports. Please post your schools situations on here.
Pikeville doesn't allow 6th graders to play middle school sports. Oh, I almost forgot, (except in girls basketball). I hate this rule and it keeps kids from reaching their full potential.
When does this team get to start up? When are tryouts? Do we have a schedule yet?
Sammy Hamilton will not be the coach. I did hear the name of a former player at Pikeville that may be interested. If he does take the job he will be exactly what these kids need. You talk about passion and knowledge of the game, you talk about this guy.
Elwayfan Wrote:This brings up a good point! I'm wwondering how many of the middle schools in this area allow 6th graders to play middle school sports. Please post your schools situations on here.
Pikeville doesn't allow 6th graders to play middle school sports. Oh, I almost forgot, (except in girls basketball). I hate this rule and it keeps kids from reaching their full potential.

"Full potential"??? You are talking about 6th graders here. :thatsfunn
I heard that the Pikeville middle school had tryouts yesterday for the team. Does anybody know how they went?
Thees was only about 20 kids that made it!
Well who were they. They have to have enough to field two seperate teams.
TRAIN85 Wrote:When does this team get to start up? When are tryouts? Do we have a schedule yet?

Tryouts were Monday, no cuts, 19 total i believe. Didnt have 2nd day tryouts

no schedule as of right now coach
as far as I know, the roster is..

8th Grade
-----------------
Randy Maynard
Gavin Miller
Jared Tackett
J.P Coleman
Tyler Coleman
Will Boyd
Reese Ward
Landon Hale
Tolliver Hefner
Wes Pugh (A.P)

7th Grade
-------------
Ethan Rowe
Clay Garris
Turner Altman
Austin Priode
Dalton Smiley
Jacob Burke
Zack Keathley
Well that looks pretty good. I wish them the best this year and I can't wait to get out and catch some games.
If...Then Wrote:as far as I know, the roster is..

8th Grade
-----------------
Randy Maynard
Gavin Miller
Jared Tackett
J.P Coleman
Tyler Coleman
Will Boyd
Reese Ward
Landon Hale
Tolliver Hefner
Wes Pugh (A.P)

7th Grade
-------------
Ethan Rowe
Clay Garris
Turner Altman
Austin Priode
Dalton Smiley
Jacob Burke
Zack Keathley

Wes Pugh is now off Academic Probation :letsparty
Josh Tackett is not going to play?
TRAIN85 Wrote:Sammy Hamilton will not be the coach. I did hear the name of a former player at Pikeville that may be interested. If he does take the job he will be exactly what these kids need. You talk about passion and knowledge of the game, you talk about this guy.

I have coached against Sammy Hamilton for quite a few years. That would have made Pikeville a great Middle School coach. I cant imagine too many coaches having more passion for Pikeville then Sammy. I really cant imagine too many more Coaches having a better son coming up thru the system either.
RiverCitiesPanthers Wrote:I have coached against Sammy Hamilton for quite a few years. That would have made Pikeville a great Middle School coach. I cant imagine too many coaches having more passion for Pikeville then Sammy. I really cant imagine too many more Coaches having a better son coming up thru the system either.
That is very true. But for some reason they didn't want to let his son play on the Junior High team. Jacob is an excellent player. He definatley could have helped them. He would have been the #2 pitcher if not the #1.
From what I understand, it boils down to not letting 6th graders compete.... I don't think it was personal!
PHS95 Wrote:From what I understand, it boils down to not letting 6th graders compete.... I don't think it was personal!

I can see both sides. I personally think that kids should wait their turn, but I can honestly say that Jacob would have been as good as any 7th/8th Grade Pitcher and I havent even seen the rest of the kids. He is a pretty good Lefty.

I also can understand why Sammy would not want to coach if his Son could not play, but could have taken the job and been the coach next year when Jacob was allowed to play. Hard to let your Son sit out for a year though.

I guess the big question is, did they allow 6th graders to play Junior High basketball or Football?
6th grade football had separate teams, I know.... cannot say for sure about bball!

I think, as long as it is a uniform decision across all sports, there is nothing wrong with it!