Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Will Name Joker Phillips Eventual Successor To Brooks
The University of Kentucky will name offensive coordinator Joker Phillips as the eventual successor to head football coach Rich Brooks at a news conference Friday. UK has scheduled a 4 p.m. news conference and announced that Brooks, Phillips, President Lee Todd and Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart would be in attendance.

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/290346.html
What? When is Brooks planning on stepping down?

IMO this is not good news. I think Phillips would be a bad decision. Most of the success that UK had this year was due to Randy Sanders. He helped Woodson blossom as a QB.
Amun-Ra Wrote:What? When is Brooks planning on stepping down?

IMO this is not good news. I think Phillips would be a bad decision. Most of the success that UK had this year was due to Randy Sanders. He helped Woodson blossom as a QB.

True, but who called the plays? I remember reading somewhere that Brooks said that he was only going to coach for 5 more years.

I think this is a great move by Mitch Barnhardt.

Go Big Blue!
blackcat_student Wrote:True, but who called the plays? I remember reading somewhere that Brooks said that he was only going to coach for 5 more years.

I think this is a great move by Mitch Barnhardt.

Go Big Blue!
If you watched the sidelines when UK had the ball, Woodson (through Sanders) audibled probably 75% to 85% of the plays Phillips called.
Amun-Ra Wrote:If you watched the sidelines when UK had the ball, Woodson (through Sanders) audibled probably 75% to 85% of the plays Phillips called.

Yeah, Joker called the plays and Randy gave the signals to Andre', isn't that how it works? Either way both coaches are pretty successful, and if Randy Sanders can do something with Mike Hartline or Curtis Pulley like he did with Woodson then I don't see him being at Kentucky too much longer. I'm sure the players are happy that they will know who the next head coach will be also.
well at least now we will have some one who is within the system to take over rather than bringing in some one who the players are completely blind to so that is a plus IMO
I like the idea of doing this at schools. It helps to add stability to the program and lets recruits know who is going to be their coach for the time they are there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Joker Phillips can recruit...and if you get good recruits, you keep winning.
And it won't be until after 2011 as Brooks has signed another contract extension to keep him here until then. Around $1.5 million a year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amun-Ra Wrote:If you watched the sidelines when UK had the ball, Woodson (through Sanders) audibled probably 75% to 85% of the plays Phillips called.
While this is true, I'm sure Joker was sending down the audible from the press box for the signals to be sent to Andre'
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Great great great great move.Smile Smile This news has made my day. Joker Phillips has been a huge part of Kentucky's recent success and if they don't keep him around it will come back to haunt them. This brings a tremendous ammount of concistency to a program that has had very little over the years. That is huge in recruiting. Another great move by Barnhardt :thumpsup:
blackcat_student Wrote:Yeah, Joker called the plays and Randy gave the signals to Andre', isn't that how it works? Either way both coaches are pretty successful, and if Randy Sanders can do something with Mike Hartline or Curtis Pulley like he did with Woodson then I don't see him being at Kentucky too much longer. I'm sure the players are happy that they will know who the next head coach will be also.

Sanders may now want to hang around in hopes of landing an even bigger role in the offense.
Honestly, I don't understand schools/teams doing this. Florida St, Indy Colts, Uk...Seems to me, no matter the extent of my contract, I would always be watching over my shoulder if I knew my superiors already had picked out my replacement. As for Joker, I think that is the appropriate successor, if he can transition from his sole responsibility during games from just offense to overseeing the grand scheme of things.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I just watched the clips of the press conference and it was very touching. Brooks and Phillips were both in tears talking about how appreciative they were that the University had not given up on them, adn how thankful they were to be a part of the program. they almost had me cryingSmile
I have known Joker for a long time! He is as upstanding individual as you will find!!!
I always look forward to talking with him at K-Day!
I love hearing this!!
Awesome News for The Big Blue Nation!!!!!
I'm not a huge fan of announcing future coaches when it's not even clear when the current coach is ready to step down.... Let's say Kentucky has a bad year next season (very possible)... I can guarantee you there will be UK "diehards" calling on Brooks door... and in effect wanting Phillips out as well... as silly as that sounds, you know it's true.... what if the new quarterback struggles next season? Alot in the air here....

Maybe it's a good move, maybe it's not, time will tell.... I would be in more understanding of the move if Brooks was going to step down after next season, but with the extension through 2011 it just doesn't make sense to me.... I dont buy the recruiting angle.... kids worry more about playing time more than anything... I think coaching has a very small equation in it...
I like the move myself!
I think it is a good move. Great person and recruiter. Go Cats!!!!
Stability is the key word. This is great news for the recruiting process as they know who will be the man when Brooks leaves. I think it'll be 3-5 years down the road before Brooks calls it quits.

The sky is the limit for this Football program and all the arrows are pointing up.

Go Big Blue !!!

WE BELIEVE !!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I can't say that the announcement was good news. If somehow they could have kept it under the radar, I think that would have been the better decision. However, it is good news Joker is going to be the eventual head coach, I was afraid he wouldn't be at Kentucky much longer.
He should be a good fit for UK
blackcat Wrote:I can't say that the announcement was good news. If somehow they could have kept it under the radar, I think that would have been the better decision. However, it is good news Joker is going to be the eventual head coach, I was afraid he wouldn't be at Kentucky much longer.

That was the problem, he was getting way too many other offers. He was going to be offered a head coaching position and they didn't want to let him go, so they gave him something he wanted. The head coaching position at his alma mater. There are such few black NCAA head football coaches. Kudos to Kentucky for having broke the barrior in both football and basketball.