Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-Season 58th District Outlook as of 1/17/08
blackcat_student Wrote:They haven't played that great lately but I watched this team beat Louisville Male, trust me thats good enough to hang a hat on. Plus they've defeated South Miami Senior, and Binghamton, NY. Thats pretty darn good if you ask me.

One game ain't gonna cut it come tourny time (no pun intended). And JMO they have lacked consistency as of late, and those Christmas tournaments may be getting to them IMO. Since They have already lost one of their starters, due to the Christmas games. And it don't matter how you do in November, December and January, but how you do in March that really matters.
Blackcat_Student can you name me one team that had one and only one player that avg. 20ppg and their team won the district in the past 7 or 8 yrs?...
When SF won 4 straight(2000-2003) they had 4 or 5 players that could score 20 on any given night, they just didnt have one constant scorer.
P-burg in 2004 & 2006...No constant 20pt. scorer...had 2 or 3 that could score 20 on a given night.
AC last yr....had 3 or 4 players that could score 20 on any given night...
uhavenoidea Wrote:IMO I'd rather have 6 or 7 that play well together and with either one of them being able to drop 20 on a given night, then to have the jealousy. Just look at UNC's team when Michael Jordan played, Dean Smith wouldnt let anyone be a star and score 20+...There is nobody on this earth that honestly thought Michael Jordan would have been as great as he was...

Any coach or fan would love to see a team have 4 or 5 players that could drop double-figures on game night, but I don't think that Betsy Layne has enough talent to do so consistently. They may be able to that against some of the weaker teams they play but not against most.
blackcat_student Wrote:All I'm going to say is good luck to them the rest of the way, but your going to be one disappointed person if you think that Betsy Layne could be a top 3 team. I'm not saying that they have no chance of doing so but its very unlikely. Remember that there is still East Ridge, Pikeville, Allen Central, and Belfry out there.

Wait and see is all I have to say...If everything falls in place and they let Brian coach and leave him alone, BL will do good things...
100%SUCCESS Wrote:One game ain't gonna cut it come tourny time (no pun intended). And JMO they have lacked consistency as of late, and those Christmas tournaments may be getting to them IMO. Since They have already lost one of their starters, due to the Christmas games. And it don't matter how you do in November, December and January, but how you do in March that really matters.

That wasn't one game, that was three.

uhavenoidea Wrote:Blackcat_Student can you name me one team that had one and only one player that avg. 20ppg and their team won the district in the past 7 or 8 yrs?...
When SF won 4 straight(2000-2003) they had 4 or 5 players that could score 20 on any given night, they just didnt have one constant scorer.
P-burg in 2004 & 2006...No constant 20pt. scorer...had 2 or 3 that could score 20 on a given night.
AC last yr....had 3 or 4 players that could score 20 on any given night...

You have a good point. But not one team in this district has the same amount of talent that those teams had. Thats why the 58th is the weakest district in the 15th region.
blackcat_student Wrote:You have a good point. But not one team in this district has the same amount of talent that those teams had. Thats why the 58th is the weakest district in the 15th region.

Thats not what i asked you...IMO the 58th will have two teams in the Final 4 of the regional tourn...The 58th will have 3 of the top 7 or 8 teams come tourney time...But you're right none of the teams have that talent, but lets just wait and see what happens.Wink
uhavenoidea Wrote:Wait and see is all I have to say...If everything falls in place and they let Brian coach and leave him alone, BL will do good things...

Alright, I'll check back with you after Betsy Layne's next game. Heck, I may even go to it.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Thats not what i asked you...IMO the 58th will have two teams in the Final 4 of the regional tourn...But you're right none of the teams have that talent, but lets just wait and see what happens.Wink

And I replied with, "You have a good point."

That was my answer.
blackcat_student Wrote:And I replied with, "You have a good point."

That was my answer.

Ok:Thumbs:...thanks!
No doubt that having Newman (6'6 at best) back will help the Bobcats. Newman is a big body that will provide match up problems with for any team in the district. He rebounds well and can score down low. He also gives them more of a defensive presence inside. It will probably take him and the team some time to get used to each other though and theres not much time left in the year.

Slone will also provide the Bobcats with some more depth. Slone plays hard but is not really a big offensive threat. He doesn't shoot the ball that well.

IMO, the bobcats will still have to battle for every inch of ground they get in the 58th. I can see them finishing 2nd or 3rd in the conference with a decent chance of winning the 58th district tournament. I still think AC has the best team. The Bobcats will not however, be a serious contender for the 15th region as someone said earlier in the thread. Just my opinion!
PEPPER: Betsy Layne may have gotten Newman back but I don't think he will make that big of a difference. People on here are making him look better than he really is, if anyone would remember from seasons past, he could barley make a lay-up and he usually fouled out. And Jared Newman is no 6'8. He is 6'5 maybe 6'6, he is no 6'8. I have nothing against him or Betsy Layne but there just making Newman sound better than he really is.

HELLO PEPPER.....you have no clue in this world what you are talking about....yeah NEWMAN may have fouled SOME last year, but its clear that you didn't watch him a lot because when he got that ball down low HE DIDN"T MISS...stop being so jealous he is a KID stop being so disrespectful......and when you say the NEWMAN kid is only 6'5 you must be think of his little brother cause JARED NEWMAN is an easy 6'8.......he's back and its on now:redboxer:
PEPPER:

Last year in the district tournament when Newman and Prestonsburg's Trevor Patton where match-up that Patton was around 1 or 2 inches taller. And Patton is 6'7.

Unless Newman has grown then I don't think that he is 6'8

DO U even know who you are talking about that PATTON kid wasn't even close to being 1-2 inches taller than NEWMAN maybe he looked it becasue he was sp skinny, but NEWMAN IS 6'8 easy.......PLEASE STAND NEXT TO HIM.....not only is he tall but he has the body size to do what he pleases in the paint....
the_real_bball_star Wrote:DO U even know who you are talking about that PATTON kid wasn't even close to being 1-2 inches taller than NEWMAN maybe he looked it becasue he was sp skinny, but NEWMAN IS 6'8 easy.......PLEASE STAND NEXT TO HIM.....not only is he tall but he has the body size to do what he pleases in the paint....
I have stood next to him, I dont think he is 6'8". I am like the others, I think 6'6" at best.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
the_real_bball_star Wrote:DO U even know who you are talking about that PATTON kid wasn't even close to being 1-2 inches taller than NEWMAN maybe he looked it becasue he was sp skinny, but NEWMAN IS 6'8 easy.......PLEASE STAND NEXT TO HIM.....not only is he tall but he has the body size to do what he pleases in the paint....
Yeah, im going to have to go along with everyone else.....he is no 6'8.....i've stood next to him and im easily 6'4......and by no means is he 4 inches taller than me.....