Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volleyball 2008
Belfry should once again prevail over everyone, but their should be some great competition. East Ridge may suprise some people. Belfry only lost one girl, they still have Thacker who is a great hitter and they will be getting some great talent from the Middle School. Allen Central always seems to have a great team, they have a great coach and I think they will be a threat as always
i agree, and i think shelby valley will surprise some people also, im not saying winning district or anything, but i think that they will pull a few upsets next year.
All these east ridge people... I swear Smile Good Luck East Ridge
NotoriousBIG Wrote:All these east ridge people... I swear Smile Good Luck East Ridge

LOL ..thats all I have to say
East Ridge will be a Regional Powerhouse for a few years to come so everyone look out.
my predictions for all teams:

belfry- will do good as usual. thacker.

allen central- didn't lose any players so they should only improve.

pike central- lost all net advantage, along with a good back row player. i look for this to be a bad year for them, but none the less, a year to grow on.

phelps- ?

betsy layne- should get better, they really improved last season.

pikeville- lost some key players, i would be surprised if valley took advantage of them next season.

east ridge- didn't lose many 'key' players. a lot of young potential. should hold up on another district banner.

shelby valley- will improve over the off season, should be an interesting return for them.

maggoffin- returns a lot of size and potential. should have a better season, but not extremely.

johnson county- always a power house in the 15th. i look for them to keep it up.

prestonsburg- should improve but its questionable.

south floyd- don't know much about them.
NotoriousBIG Wrote:All these east ridge people... I swear Smile Good Luck East Ridge

Well I think that if we can back it up then we can say whatever we want....you laugh all you want it doesn't bother us!!
Its hard to tell what will happen for 2008.

I see Belfry and Allen Central coming out on top.

Allen Central had the best draw they have ever had in the regional tournament.
If they would have beat Pike central, it would have been a straight shot to championship game,
but one of their starting setters walked out the day of the game and it seemed none of the girls could get along or play together.
that game was a fluke. AC should have beat PCC to death.

Johnson Central will still have Conley and some key players, but i dont think they will be as strong. they dont play with alot of heart i dont think.

Betsy Layne should also come out okay. they are only losing 2 players.
i agree with true_blue221 100%
owsley co. only lost 1, does anybody know about powell and lee??
im not really familair with that region..... who is the powerhouse?
the 14th region, its been a real close race between Powell and Owsley for the past couple of years. Powell beat them in Championship District, but Owsley progressed to the semi-finals in Regionals, further than Powell made it.
Just putting it out there Prestonsburg High School is hosting a 16 team Tourney on Aug 15 and 16 2008. Free entry fee. Start of Volley in the Mountains Tournament to be held annually.
Still have 8 slots open. Contact Jackie Day Crisp at Prestonsburg High School.
that sounds really fun! who all is signed up so far?
Powell County lost only 1 senior and will be returing in 2008 with a very strong team of 12 plus Seniors so they all have alot of experience!! Betta Watch out for this bunch of spikers,blockers,setters, and diggers Yeahhh!!!! GO POCO PIRATES!!
oneandonly Wrote:that sounds really fun! who all is signed up so far?
Right now the list includes :

Prestonsburg (host)
Letcher Co. Central ( 14th region Champ )
Pike Co. Central
Betsy Layne
Allen Central ( 55th dist. champ )
Magoffin Co.
South Laurel ( 12th region Champ )
Middlesboro ( 48th dist. champ )
Sheldon Clark
UKfan835 Wrote:Belfry should once again prevail over everyone, but their should be some great competition. East Ridge may suprise some people. Belfry only lost one girl, they still have Thacker who is a great hitter and they will be getting some great talent from the Middle School. Allen Central always seems to have a great team, they have a great coach and I think they will be a threat as always

I agree, Belfry just has the volleyball program down pat. They are always awesome! The only year I think they could have been beat was a couple of years ago when JCHS played them in the regional tourney. JCHS had one of the best teams they have ever had. They had Conley(one of the best spikers in the regions), McKenzie(powerhouse), Lafferty(killer serves), Caldwell(best setter & digger in the region still), Music, Johnson, & King. This team under a more aggresive coaching staff would have kicked butt. They were loaded. Don't see JCHS being that loaded again. But Belfry just keeps coming back, over, over, over & over. They are amazing.
I think I remember that team. They were great, the main difference between JC's 05 & 06 team was that 06 had a lot more height.

JCHS has the talent that it take to win against Belfry, but not the right frame of mind.

This year they will lose some major players to graduation King, Lemaster & Johnson, but we still have Celena Conley (killer spikes & serves), Brooke Conley (killer serves and great defensive player) Annaleesa Trimble (great digger and setter) Amanda O'Bryan (awesome hitter) and Ashley Young (another great hitter) with the rotation that Coach McCool used they all had a lot of playing time. That gives them 5 players returning that are awesome. There are also a lot of young ones coming up....

You are right about Belfry, this year in the semi-finals JCHS played Belfry and I must admit it was the best game I had ever watched. Granted Belfry won 2 out of 3 matches, but JC definately gave them a run for their money. :Wave:
Pickle-princess Wrote:I think I remember that team. They were great, the main difference between JC's 05 & 06 team was that 06 had a lot more height.

JCHS has the talent that it take to win against Belfry, but not the right frame of mind.

This year they will lose some major players to graduation King, Lemaster & Johnson, but we still have Celena Conley (killer spikes & serves), Brooke Conley (killer serves and great defensive player) Annaleesa Trimble (great digger and setter) Amanda O'Bryan (awesome hitter) and Ashley Young (another great hitter) with the rotation that Coach McCool used they all had a lot of playing time. That gives them 5 players returning that are awesome. There are also a lot of young ones coming up....

You are right about Belfry, this year in the semi-finals JCHS played Belfry and I must admit it was the best game I had ever watched. Granted Belfry won 2 out of 3 matches, but JC definately gave them a run for their money. :Wave:

I didn't see that game. Sounds great. I've seen both the Conley girls play, are they sisters? I don't recognize the others you listed. I hope they do great this year. But I agree that they lose alot when they lose Johnson & King. Good luck to the Eagles for next year. Maybe I'll get into paintsville next year and see them play. It's been a couple of years
Jose11 Wrote:I didn't see that game. Sounds great. I've seen both the Conley girls play, are they sisters? I don't recognize the others you listed. I hope they do great this year. But I agree that they lose alot when they lose Johnson & King. Good luck to the Eagles for next year. Maybe I'll get into paintsville next year and see them play. It's been a couple of years

Nope the Conley girls aren't sisters.
UK Fan14 Wrote:Right now the list includes :

Prestonsburg (host)
Letcher Co. Central ( 14th region Champ )
Pike Co. Central
Betsy Layne
Allen Central ( 55th dist. champ )
Magoffin Co.
South Laurel ( 12th region Champ )
Middlesboro ( 48th dist. champ )
Sheldon Clark

I've been told you can add Perry Co. Central to the list.

Hazard & Ashland are trying to work their schedule out so they can play.
belfry and johnson central always have good volleyball programs--- along with allen central i think
I think that Pike Central has a great chance of winning.
of course thacker from belfry is good, thats the only good hitter they have really. PC might of lost Lowe but they also have 3 or 4 more good hitters.
so all other teams might want to watch out.
Tabby-Cakes Wrote:I think that Pike Central has a great chance of winning.
of course thacker from belfry is good, thats the only good hitter they have really. PC might of lost Lowe but they also have 3 or 4 more good hitters.
so all other teams might want to watch out.

I wouldn't say Thacker is the only good hitter on Belfry's team. They have several great hitters and if that wasn't true I don't see how they could have won region.
i agree. belfry was an all around great team. and yes, paige is their best hitter- but they have 2 i know of that is just as good as anyone else in the region at spiking
Pickle-princess Wrote:I think I remember that team. They were great, the main difference between JC's 05 & 06 team was that 06 had a lot more height.

Best match ever in the 15th...JC won first game 36-34
How about Phelps?
Lets all quit kidding ourselves here. No one really poses a threat to Belfry next year. They don't really lose anyone that impacted their team. Pikeville beat them one game out of 3. Good luck to every team next year, but Belfry has been winning at volleyball every since it started back in 99-00 year. Hopefully the teams will finally catch up with them.
i think belfry wont be undefeated in region play..... but as far as district and regional championships go, until paige thacker graduates- its all belfry.
and i think phelps will improve (well they should), but with belfry and pike central in their district there is no way that they will go to region
oneandonly Wrote:i think belfry wont be undefeated in region play..... but as far as district and regional championships go, until paige thacker graduates- its all belfry.
and i think phelps will improve (well they should), but with belfry and pike central in their district there is no way that they will go to region

Belfry's been beat in the region the last two years...two times each year.