Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barack Obama
vundy33 Wrote:You don't know what your talking about...does it really matter if he doesn't put his **** hand over his heart? He's as much a patriot as you'll ever be.

To me it does matter, for a person to be running for President of the United States, he/she should show respect to his country. One thing is for sure, you don't know anything about me or how much of a patriot I am. I know times are a lot different today than they were in 50 or so years ago, but back then every candidate would use the U.S. flag and red, white and blue colors when campaigning and they made sure they showed their patriotism to the citizens of the U.S. maybe that's something we as a country need to get back to.
Old School Wrote:To me it does matter, for a person to be running for President of the United States, he/she should show respect to his country. One thing is for sure, you don't know anything about me or how much of a patriot I am. I know times are a lot different today than they were in 50 or so years ago, but back then every candidate would use the U.S. flag and red, white and blue colors when campaigning and they made sure they showed their patriotism to the citizens of the U.S. maybe that's something we as a country need to get back to.

Dwight Eisenhower was a decorated veteran, an obvious patriot. Yet he cautioned Americans about the emerging "industrial-military complex." And, I think you are right, candidates do USE the flag. I would think that deep belief in and faithful adherence to the Bill of Rights would trump wearing a flag when evaluating real patriotism.
DevilsWin Wrote:Hey Old School, months ago I quoted a lyric written by John Prine that addressed the issue of coal mining. The name of the song was, "Paradise". And it talked about strip mining. "Mr. Peabody's Coal Train has ahuled it away."

Well you struck another nerve here that Mr Prine addressed some 30 years ago. And I believe this song sums it up for me on this issue. I have as much reverence for the flag as any man on earth and lots more than most. So don't get the wong idea or try to read between the lines here. It is what it is and Ole Johnny Prine had this to say, "
While digesting Reader's Digest
In the back of a dirty book store,
A plastic flag, with gum on the back,
Fell out on the floor.
Well, I picked it up and I ran outside
Slapped it on my window shield,
And if I could see old Betsy Ross
I'd tell her how good I feel.
Chorus:
But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
They're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
Well, I went to the bank this morning
And the cashier he said to me,
"If you join the Christmas club
We'll give you ten of them flags for free."
Well, I didn't mess around a bit
I took him up on what he said.
And I stuck them stickers all over my car
And one on my wife's forehead.
Repeat Chorus:
Well, I got my window shield so filled
With flags I couldn't see.
So, I ran the car upside a curb
And right into a tree.
By the time they got a doctor down
I was already dead.
And I'll never understand why the man
Standing in the Pearly Gates said...
"But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
We're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more."
Always did like that song.

Oh Daddy wont you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Pardise lays
"I'm sorry my son, but your too late in asking
Mr. Peabody's coal train's done hauled it away".
Old School Wrote:I can honestly say that I had nver heard of John Prine or that song until you posted it.

OMG! What rock have you been living under? John Prine is an American Icon. He as won Grammy after Grammy and is revered for his songwriting ability as much as Bob Dylan.
DevilsWin Wrote:OMG! What rock have you been living under? John Prine is an American Icon. He as won Grammy after Grammy and is revered for his songwriting ability as much as Bob Dylan.

Must be the same rock I am living under. I have never heard of him either.:o
Midee1 Wrote:Must be the same rock I am living under. I have never heard of him either.:o
You 2 need to get outta the house for more than a football game. Smile
Every time John Prine has played the Paramount in Ashland (3 times) it's been sold out.
Midee1 Wrote:Must be the same rock I am living under. I have never heard of him either.:o

I've never heard of him either.
Fenix Wrote:I've never heard of him either.
Well for starters you won't hear him on Sold Out Commercial Bubble Gum radio.
DevilsWin Wrote:Well for starters you won't hear him on Sold Out Commercial Bubble Gum radio.

I have so many comments about that but I will keep them to myself.Big Grin
Midee1 Wrote:I have so many comments about that but I will keep them to myself.Big Grin
Thanks for refraining from ripping me a good one. My CD collection is way different than what I play at work. LOL:rockon:

This thread has nearly been hijacked. I say Vote for John Prine. LOL he is a true patriot and covers his heart during the National Anthem.Confusedalute:
^^haha It has been hijacked...but yes John Prine is the masta!! Cool
Forgotten is the national democratic party's attempt to get a minority representative into the head of government, no matter their idealism.

Clinton-Rodham & Obama are pawns only meant to disrupt conservative values and beliefs. They no longer stand behind the middles class (which is practically extinct), nor do they represent those who choose to abide by the laws set forth in our Constitution many years ago. However, they will prey upon the candidness, and comfort of law abiding citizens who choose to ignore, or not bother with the discomforts politics may bring to their families and themselves.

Is their anything more of a polar opposite that a rural democratic idealsim and the national democratic sense of morals and ethics? Of all the things the Republican party has taken from the blue-collar family, theft of beliefs & values is not one of them.

Democrats are counting on the majority votes (uneducated or un-informed voters) to either:

A - I'm female and I'm voting for Hillary because she too is female.

or

B - I'm black, so I am voting for Barack Obama because he too is black.

Also taken into account is the empathetic caucasion vote who still have guilt from slavery committed 3-4 generations ago.

And we all thought idealism was to be represented on behalf of the constituents in a representative democracy???
Obama says he is a Muslin, is that true???
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
BoondockSaint Wrote:Forgotten is the national democratic party's attempt to get a minority representative into the head of government, no matter their idealism.

Clinton-Rodham & Obama are pawns only meant to disrupt conservative values and beliefs. They no longer stand behind the middles class (which is practically extinct), nor do they represent those who choose to abide by the laws set forth in our Constitution many years ago. However, they will prey upon the candidness, and comfort of law abiding citizens who choose to ignore, or not bother with the discomforts politics may bring to their families and themselves.

Is their anything more of a polar opposite that a rural democratic idealsim and the national democratic sense of morals and ethics? Of all the things the Republican party has taken from the blue-collar family, theft of beliefs & values is not one of them.

Democrats are counting on the majority votes (uneducated or un-informed voters) to either:

or

Also taken into account is the empathetic caucasion vote who still have guilt from slavery committed 3-4 generations ago.

And we all thought idealism was to be represented on behalf of the constituents in a representative democracy???

If you are suggesting that the only reason to vote for Obama or Hillary Clinton is guilt over slavery, being African-American,
or feeling guilty over slavery, any analysis that you give about politics is tainted by an obvious, blind bias.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Obama says he is a Muslin, is that true???
No, and I'm sure he didn't say that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BoondockSaint Wrote:Forgotten is the national democratic party's attempt to get a minority representative into the head of government, no matter their idealism.

or

How come nobody ever takes into account that a lot of white America can boast that they had thousands of their decendents also die to try to help free African-Americans from slavery. How come it never gets mentioned that they gave the ultimate sacrifice for people they probably never even knew ?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:How come nobody ever takes into account that a lot of white America can boast that they had thousands of their decendents also die to try to help free African-Americans from slavery. How come it never gets mentioned that they gave the ultimate sacrifice for people they probably never even knew ?

Hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of "white" lives were lost in the Civil War, on both sides. Hundred upon hundreds of thousands of "black" lives were dispossessed in the evil that is slavery. Both things are true. One does not negate the other. One does not diminish the other.
The civil war wasnt really about slavery, so I dont think you can say that hundreds of thousands of people died to free slaves. Hundreds of thousands of people died to defend thier side, be it the union or the confederacy.

Blacks werent really free until the 60's.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:The civil war wasnt really about slavery, so I dont think you can say that hundreds of thousands of people died to free slaves. Hundreds of thousands of people died to defend thier side, be it the union or the confederacy.

Lincoln may have made a pragmatic choice to preserve the union, thinking it could not stand divided and hostile between slave and free. However, at least one of the things that the Civil War was about was whether or not human beings could be held as chattel in order to propogate a way of life.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:The civil war wasnt really about slavery, so I dont think you can say that hundreds of thousands of people died to free slaves. Hundreds of thousands of people died to defend thier side, be it the union or the confederacy.

had the south won, the nation as a whole would much freer now. currently the federal government holds us hostage and states have absolutely no power any longer. had the south won, this wouldn't be the case.

i'm an old state rights democrat. (dixiecrat) TongueirateSho
ronald_reagan Wrote:had the south won, the nation as a whole would much freer now. currently the federal government holds us hostage and states have absolutely no power any longer. had the south won, this wouldn't be the case.

i'm an old state rights democrat. (dixiecrat) TongueirateSho

So, a human being could be property in Mississippi, but free in New York, and that is a state's rights issue? Is that what you would say?
thecavemaster Wrote:So, a human being could be property in Mississippi, but free in New York, and that is a state's rights issue? Is that what you would say?

I never mentioned slavery in my post. :confused:

I talked about state rights. States have no rights now because of the north's victory and the precident that was subsequently set.

Look, we have to recognize that thousands of blacks fought for the south. And apparently Lincoln wasn't too concerned with slavery if you look at how the emancipation proclamation was implemented.

As I said though, and believe strongly.. I wish the south would have won. And given the opportunity, I would have carried the confederate battle flag myself in the midst of the battle.
[quote=ronald_reagan]I never mentioned slavery in my post. :confused:

I talked about state rights. States have no rights now because of the north's victory and the precident that was subsequently set.

Look, we have to recognize that thousands of blacks fought for the south. And apparently Lincoln wasn't too concerned with slavery if you look at how the emancipation proclamation was implemented.

As I said though, and believe strongly.. I wish the south would have won. And given the opportunity, I would have carried the confederate battle flag myself in the midst of the battle.[/quo

"...he was a grand member of the royal order of the Imperial Wizards of the noble hoods of the Klan..."
thecavemaster Wrote:"...he was a grand member of the royal order of the Imperial Wizards of the noble hoods of the Klan..."

Who? :confused:
George Wallace, your state's rights brother...
thecavemaster Wrote:George Wallace, your state's rights brother...

Wallace wasn't a Klansman, but Robert C. Byrd was.

Wallace in fact was endorsed by the NAACP in 1958, and spoke out against the Klan from time to time. Although he was a segregationist later.

I'm not a segregationist, and as I've made clear and as you've failed to read.... Thats a human right to be free, not a state nor a FEDERAL right. State rights are granted in the 10th amendment.

But you're right though. Wallace was someone that I respect. I disagree with on a few issues, but have tremendous respect for.
You apparently think me a Democrat...Byrd is a hot air balloon aloft in Senate Chambers... amongst brothers and sisters either bought or buying
thecavemaster Wrote:You apparently think me a Democrat...Byrd is a hot air balloon aloft in Senate Chambers... amongst brothers and sisters either bought or buying

I was merely mentioning that Byrd was a klansman, and that saying Wallace was as you did, is a lie. Thats all. No big deal. I enjoy watching Byrd talk though.... "NOW HEAR ME!!!!" Smile
Didn't say Wallace was a Klan guy...said he was a state's rights guy, if that was what it took to get the nomination. See Mitt Romney: in Mass. it took being for abortion rights to gain 51% of the vote...not it takes the other direction to secure 51%... AND, it is our fault, the voters, for having such short memories and using our own enfranchisement in a free society so carelessly.