Poll: Should Kentucky Put Tubby Smith In The Rafters?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
64.10%
No
35.90%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubby in the Rafters at Rupp??
All coaches that have won a National Title for Kentucky Basketball have their names in the Rafters. Does Tubby deserve to have his name up there too?

IMO, I think that he does. Although he had some "bad" seasons toward the end, he did accomplish a lot with the 1998 Crown, 16-0 SEC regular season in 2003, 5 regular season SEC Championships and Tournament Championships, with 100 wins quicker than any coach other than Rupp. He was also named Coach of the Year in 2003 and 2005.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Exactly, Tubby may have finished the last couple of seasons dirty but yes he has took us far before in March Madness quite a few times. And I think that UK and fans should still show him some respect. So IMO hang that banner!
Rupp finished his career at Kentucky
Hall finished his career at Kentucky
Pitino was supposed to have had his college career end at Kentucky only to return at arch rival Louisville(his jersey should be taken down and ceremoniously burned)

Smith was practically run out of town. No way!
Yes he deserves it...he won a championship.
I never like tubby or his style of coaching, but if all the other coaches that has won a championship at Uk have their name in the rafters, then I guess Tubby should too.
He deserves it, he won the National Championship and averaged 27 wins a season, so they should put his name in the rafters.
There for awhile everyone loved Tubby and he won the national championship so yes he deserves to get a banner.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yeah might as well...
Hang him one up there.... He did his job for a few years.... didn't he??
Hang it up there.
IMO Tubby won the NCAA Championship with Ricks team. But after that he had some really good teams. I never really liked his coaching style, but he did win and that is what we all true blue cat fans want. Put the banner up for him and show that we have class as a state and a class school. GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
of course he does
I think he does as well!
Just like most everybody else says, Tubby deserves to have his name on a banner at Rupp. Even if he won with the players recruited by another coach, that does not diminish the accomplishment of winning a national title. To chalk the title up to "winning with Pitino's players" implies that Traitor Rick would've also won a title with that same group, which is something we will never know.

To not hang a banner for Tubby would place him on the same level as Eddie Sutton, as the only coaches not to have a banner hung. And Sutton did several things that Tubby did not, including failing to win a title or even go to a Final Four, leading UK to a losing record, and of course, getting Kentucky put on probation. Just because Tubby got burned out and let things slip the last couple years, does not cancel out the good accomplishments he achieved.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would think so!
More Cowbell Wrote:Just like most everybody else says, Tubby deserves to have his name on a banner at Rupp. Even if he won with the players recruited by another coach, that does not diminish the accomplishment of winning a national title. To chalk the title up to "winning with Pitino's players" implies that Traitor Rick would've also won a title with that same group, which is something we will never know.

To not hang a banner for Tubby would place him on the same level as Eddie Sutton, as the only coaches not to have a banner hung. And Sutton did several things that Tubby did not, including failing to win a title or even go to a Final Four, leading UK to a losing record, and of course, getting Kentucky put on probation. Just because Tubby got burned out and let things slip the last couple years, does not cancel out the good accomplishments he achieved.

Very good point, that says it all to me. Give the man a banner, if for nothing else, putting up with more crap than any other coach in basketball historySmile Smile
Tubby won a championship with Rick's players, and every year since then the program has gone downhill.

To put him in the rafters would say "we're ok with no longer being an elite program."

If anybody would like to disagree, go ahead, but it's impossible to argue against.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
phs1986 Wrote:Hang him one up there.... He did his job for a few years.... didn't he??

I agree!
No, if he was good enough to have his name up there, then he would still be coaching at UK.
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
BFritz Wrote:Tubby won a championship with Rick's players, and every year since then the program has gone downhill.

To put him in the rafters would say "we're ok with no longer being an elite program."

If anybody would like to disagree, go ahead, but it's impossible to argue against.

I'll agree...
Tubby did nothing, his National Championship came with the team Pitino built... He was a choke artist... He made UK look like we was OK with just having average seasons, when that is not the case, UK IS AN ELITE SCHOOL, we play for National championships every year, not settle for just making the Tourney...
phs1986 Wrote:Hang him one up there.... He did his job for a few years.... didn't he??

No, he didn't, he stopped recruiting the top players and had horrible game plans and didn't know how to coach in certain situations.

So, no, he didn't.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
I get so sick of hearing that Tubby gets no credit for the championship because it was won with "Rick's players." That kind of thinking implies that any old Joe could've coached the team that year, just rolled the ball out on the floor, and sat back while the players won the title. Ridiculous. For all we know, Saint Rick might not have even won the title that year, we'll never know. He was too busy getting his can handed to him up in Boston. Furthermore, in my opinion it is even harder to walk in as a first-year coach and try to win with a bunch of players you don't know and who don't know you.

If you want to say that Tubby let the program slide the last couple years, go ahead, you're exactly right. It appeared that he got burned out and just didn't have it in him to keep UK at an elite level anymore. It was definitely the right time for a coaching change, and I believe Billy G. will get us back to the top of college basketball. But don't try to sweep aside the fact that Tubby won a national title, which should be enough to have his name in the rafters.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
it should have been up there the beginning of the year....If tubby was their he would hve never lost to gard-webb!!!!!!he never had a year were he never won less then 20 games that i recall....and he won those game with some players who should have never been in a kentucky uniform....Billy G is good coach thats not what im saying im saying tubby did a good job....
pirate_time Wrote:it should have been up there the beginning of the year....If tubby was their he would hve never lost to gard-webb!!!!!!he never had a year were he never won less then 20 games that i recall....and he won those game with some players who should have never been in a kentucky uniform....Billy G is good coach thats not what im saying im saying tubby did a good job....

Now that statement is just pure speculation, we don't know what would've happened if Tubby had coached in that game. This team was not very well put together, too many guards and not enough inside players. Tubby's strength was in his in-game coaching, certainly not in his recruiting...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I get so sick of hearing that Tubby gets no credit for the championship because it was won with "Rick's players." That kind of thinking implies that any old Joe could've coached the team that year, just rolled the ball out on the floor, and sat back while the players won the title. Ridiculous. For all we know, Saint Rick might not have even won the title that year, we'll never know. He was too busy getting his can handed to him up in Boston. Furthermore, in my opinion it is even harder to walk in as a first-year coach and try to win with a bunch of players you don't know and who don't know you.

If you want to say that Tubby let the program slide the last couple years, go ahead, you're exactly right. It appeared that he got burned out and just didn't have it in him to keep UK at an elite level anymore. It was definitely the right time for a coaching change, and I believe Billy G. will get us back to the top of college basketball. But don't try to sweep aside the fact that Tubby won a national title, which should be enough to have his name in the rafters.

With the team that Tubby won it with, any coach could have coached them and they would have won it. Tubby didn't know how to coach in certain situations, but he didn't have to know how with the National Title team because they were that good.

Examples: the fact that Tubby had his players slow into a half court game when running on teams worked better, or how, in a tied game, he let his point guard run the clock down to 5 seconds before he started the offense, and the clock ran out before he could get a shot off (and, if it was the guard's fault, Tubby would have been yelling at him while he was standing there, but he wasn't because that's what Tubby told him to do).
BFritz Wrote:With the team that Tubby won it with, any coach could have coached them and they would have won it. Tubby didn't know how to coach in certain situations, but he didn't have to know how with the National Title team because they were that good.

Examples: the fact that Tubby had his players slow into a half court game when running on teams worked better, or how, in a tied game, he let his point guard run the clock down to 5 seconds before he started the offense, and the clock ran out before he could get a shot off (and, if it was the guard's fault, Tubby would have been yelling at him while he was standing there, but he wasn't because that's what Tubby told him to do).

That is just flat wrong. I don't see how you could say that the '98 team was so good they would've won no matter who the coach was. For one thing, not only were they not favored to win the title that year, they weren't even a #1 seed in their region. And who were all the ultra-talented players on that team? Padgett? Mohammed? Jammal Magloire has probably had the best NBA career of anyone on that team, and he played a very minor role. No, that team was won with a bunch of good, not great role players, who played above their heads under a hungry first-year coach. If you really look closely at the roster, that team had no business winning a championship.

Again, if you want to disparage Tubby's recruiting or his lack of Final Four appearances, that's fine. But you can't discredit his winning a national title, especially with a team that was not the most talented team that year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Not to mention the "all-mighty" Rick didn't win the Championship the year before with basically the same team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beef Wrote:Not to mention the "all-mighty" Rick didn't win the Championship the year before with basically the same team.

Exactly. If there was any team that could've won the title with anybody coaching, it was the '96 super-team. Which, to give the Traitor his credit, was due to Pitino's excellent recruiting.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
definetly going with no here